• Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... Johannes Brahms staid??

[ ... why will people persist in using initials ... ]

good question , V.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

I did not hear it last night, but this looks worth checking out via the iPlayer:

3:05 AM
      Stravinsky, Igor (1882-1971)
      Pulcinella - ballet
      Lynne Dawson (soprano), Rolando Villazón (tenor), Denis Sedov (baritone), Radio France Philharmonic Orchestra, Marc Minkowski (conductor)

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        I know, it's such a beastly modern tendency isn't it? Life's gone to pot since the SPQR shoved their initials on all those frightful new buildings...

I was delighted to discover in Rome that SPQR appears on sewage manhole covers. Senatus publicumque indeed.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Slightly alarmed after a week of John Shea's soothing and humorous intros to encounter the novel and slightly shrill voice of Nicola Christie last night. Who she?

Edit: Though I like Nicola Hall's voice.

Edit 2: Oops, Christie not Christine! (Glyndebourne connection...?)
          Last edited by kernelbogey; 09-11-12, 10:27.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            I did not hear it last night, but this looks worth checking out via the iPlayer:

3:05 AM
            Stravinsky, Igor (1882-1971)
            Pulcinella - ballet
            Lynne Dawson (soprano), Rolando Villazón (tenor), Denis Sedov (baritone), Radio France Philharmonic Orchestra, Marc Minkowski (conductor)
            Wish I'd spotted this earlier

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              Slightly alarmed after a week of John Shea's soothing and humorous intros to encounter the novel and slightly shrill voice of Nicola Christine last night. Who she?

Edit: Though I like Nicola Hall's voice.

I've no idea what her name was but after a late return home last night, I made a mental note to post here that I think her voice is irritating and seems best adapted to 'Blue Peter' - it has a singsong, patronising quality that seems to pervade the voices of earnest children's presenters... To be avoided - in this house...
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I've no idea what her name was but after a late return home last night, I made a mental note to post here that I think her voice is irritating and seems best adapted to 'Blue Peter' - it has a singsong, patronising quality that seems to pervade the voices of earnest children's presenters... To be avoided - in this house...
                Agreed Calibs: touch of the 'Breakfast/CFM' about it.

Comment

• AndyJW
                  • Jan 2011

Perhaps she's 'in training' for breakfast!

Comment

• AuntDaisy

I find Nicola Christie's voice annoying as well - not a shade on Susan Sharpe's mellifluous tones.
                    Blue Peter is a very good description. Please move her over to Breakfast - I've stopped listening to it!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Welcome to the boards AuntDaisy! The more so as you are a TTN listener (and Breakfastphobe!).

Comment

• AuntDaisy

Thank you kernelbogey.
                        I've been listening (off-air) for years and, there has been a huge increase in TTN repeats and rapid drop in programme information on the TTN webpages. It's very sad, because there are some amazing performances on TTN; and it's old-fashioned, informative, interesting Radio 3 (that doesn't try to compete with Classic FM).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                          I find Nicola Christie's voice annoying as well - not a shade on Susan Sharpe's mellifluous tones.
                          Blue Peter is a very good description. Please move her over to Breakfast - I've stopped listening to it!

"...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Just before 6 o'clock yesterday, a fine performance of Beethoven's Op. 19 concerto. It was credited as being played by Maria João Pires (piano), Orchestra of the 18th Century, Frans Brüggen (conductor). No mention was made of the maker or date(s) of the piano. A YouTube upload of what appears to be this same performance claims the last two movements to be played not by Pires but Argerich. This is confirmed here, where it is also revealed that the piano was an 1849 Erard.
                            Last edited by Bryn; 29-11-12, 14:02. Reason: Update.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                              Welcome to the boards AuntDaisy! The more so as you are a TTN listener (and Breakfastphobe!).
                              wholeheartedly Seconded

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I heard the first hour of last night's programme. Not having heard Nicola Christie before, my immediate thought was what a wonderful addition. I very much like her voice and presentation style - both are warm - and I am a supporter of Susan Sharpe.

This special programme of music from Romanian composers and performers seemed spot on to me. Clear in concept, relevant, interesting, professional. The start - Chorale for String Orchestra by Lipatti - encouraged me to stay longer than I had intended.

Comment

Working...
                                X