X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Goodness where does one start?
    With Mravinsky?

Otherwise, yes to Haitink's #15 (either of 'em) and #4 (the LPO studio version), Karajan #10 (I think I'm the only person who prefers the '80s recording to that from the '60s, but I envy BeefO that Live Moscow disc). And Slava in Lady MacBeth (even with Mrs Slava ).
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Not sure about essential, but ..

Tatyana Nikolayeva - 24 preludes and fugues
      Symphony 5, Previn, LSO

For me I also like Ancerl in symphony 5 (Czech PO), and Rostropovich (National SO - seems to be on Teldec, but another version? on DG. Perhaps not the LSO Live version!). I have Barshai's set of the symphonies, which is serviceable - perhaps more than.

I have a hunch that Svetlanov did a very good symphony 10, which was on EMI/Melodiya once.

I recently bought a CD including the piano quintet with Matthias Kirschnereit, Szymanowski Quartet - it seems good.

I have others with the piano trio as well - I think the Naxos one is good.

I'd put Petrenko + RLPO as good to very good, but there are other better versions of most of the symphonies IMO.

I haven't heard many Gergiev CDs, including this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Symphonie...vich+4+gergiev of symphony 4, but some of his live performances in London were outstanding. The Proms concert with symphony 4 just blew me away.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        And Slava in Lady MacBeth (even with Mrs Slava ).
        I wondered who would be the first to mention Lady M!

I would add Nikolaeva (Melodia) or Nikolayeva (Hyperion), as she is designated, for Op 87, as she was the spur for their composition.
        I also have a soft spot for Jansons' recording of S7 with the Leningrad Philharmonic.
        Pace another thread, the liner notes say that the orchestra .... use their traditional seating plan. The strings are grouped as follows from the conductor's left to right: violin 1, cellos with basses behind, violas, violin 2. The woodwind are in a central block behind the cellos and violas with timpani and percussion section behind them. The harps and orchestral piano are located at the back of the first violins. The horns sit at the rear of the viola section with the heavy brass behind them.

Looking forward to listening to this recording again when my stereo is finally set up; still waiting for the speaker stands and cabinet for the amp and CD player.
        Last edited by Pulcinella; 10-02-17, 12:23. Reason: Typo correction. And I see that Dave had the same thought about Op 87!

Comment

For me Peterenko is a pale moon in the company of great suns (Kondrshin, Mravinsky, Haitink, Bernstein, Sanderling ETC).

Some goodies:

Piano Concertos and Assault on Beautiful Gorky (Alexeev/Maksymiuk)
          Symphony No. 2: the live Elder performance (BBCMM cover-mount)
          Symphony No. 4: Daniel Raiskin and Mark Wigglesworth
          Symphony No. 5: Sanderling/Berlin SO (remastered and reissued by Berlin Classics last year); live Bernstein/LSO on DVD (1966)
          Symphony No. 7: Bernstein/Boston and, very different, Paavo Järvi with the RNO
          Symphony No. 8. Mravinsky's live 1982 recording (correct pitch on Russian Disc, Regis & Alto); Nelsons and the RCO on DVD/Blu-ray
          Symphony No. 9: Kondrashin (a fine HDTT transfer, coupled with Stepan Razin)
          Symphony No. 10: Svetlanov’s 1968 Prom; Karajan live in Moscow (1969)
          Symphony No. 13: Haitink and Previn (the latter in a superb remastering from Warner Japan)
          Symphony No. 14: Haitink
          Symphony No. 15: Sanderling/BPO (originally released on the orchestra’s own label)
          Last edited by mahlerei; 05-05-17, 18:21.

Comment

Each to their own but I'd say that unless we're talking Symphony No.4,
            the phrase "Essential Shostakovich Discs" has got to be an oxymoron.
            There's plenty else to enjoy, but that's my only essential.

Comment

I haven't yet really got into DSCH's chamber music or operas so my essential choices are a bit lop-sided. When I want to listen to a symphony (that is to say 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 14 or 15, I hardly ever bother with the others) I go to my Mariss Jansons box with various orchestras. The 4th (with the Bavarian Radio orchestra) is for sure my top choice for that work, though it's regarded by some as a very artificial-sounding recording in terms of balance.

Comment

Previn(RCA), Jarvi(Chandos), Gergiev, some with (Mariinsky etc), Jansons. Agreed with you Richard re Np.4!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I'm quite fond of Marc-Andre Hamelin's disc of the two DSCH piano concertos c/w the Shchedrin piano concerto on Hyperion. The BBCSSO is conducted by Andrew Litton.

Comment

Rostropovich/Ozawa in the 2nd Cello Concerto (although I wouldn't want to be without Heinrich Schiff) - and which, if I can be forgiven the nerdiness, in its Japanese SACD incarnation, sounds fantastic. 2nd Violin Concerto - two recent releases feature excellent performances of this wonderful work: Frank-Peter Zimmerman and Linus Roth. Agree with everyone about virtually all the other suggestions (Karajan's Moscow 10th - scorchio!) to which I would add Kondrashin's Concertgebouw 4th to sit alongside Raiskin and Wigglesworth.
                    Last edited by HighlandDougie; 10-02-17, 19:10.

Comment

Just listening to the 3rd movement of the Haitink/RCO #8.

I think I might take this with me to the shop next time I am trialling a new stereo.....
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                        I'm quite fond of Marc-Andre Hamelin's disc of the two DSCH piano concertos c/w the Shchedrin piano concerto on Hyperion. The BBCSSO is conducted by Andrew Litton.
                        Yes, PG! I have that recording too. Will hunt that one down in my collection and will be part, hopefully of my Russian/Beethoven weekend.
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          With Mravinsky?
                          Does it for me, mid-century Russian brass and all.

Comment

I remember becoming obsessed with Haitink's DSCH symphony 6 when I was a student. It was one of the first works I ever heard on the new fangled CD medium and I was much impressed. The last movement was a great favourite!

Comment

I've mentioned this concert before, on here that I attended, when Haitink conducted ther LPO in an absolutely mesmerising 4th at the RFH, c/w Beethoven's PC 4 with Brendel!!!

Another one was a TV broadcast of Andre Previn conducting Shosta's 8th with the LSO. Amazing!
                              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                                I've mentioned this concert before, on here that I attended, when Haitink conducted ther LPO in an absolutely mesmerising 4th at the RFH, c/w Beethoven's PC 4 with Brendel!!!

Another one was a TV broadcast of Andre Previn conducting Shosta's 8th with the LSO. Amazing!
                                I heard Haitink here in Chicago with the 4th. Those concerts later released as a CD.

Comment

Working...
                                X