Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    I heard Haitink here in Chicago with the 4th. Those concerts later released as a CD.
    Haitink’s Concertgebouw DSCH 8 is amazing. Last year, I downloaded the Nelsons Boston 8, following glowing references from HighlandDougie et al and I think Uncle Bernie more than holds his own. The RCO cellis & basses are phat. Sick.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      Haitink’s Concertgebouw DSCH 8 is amazing. Last year, I downloaded the Nelsons Boston 8, following glowing references from HighlandDougie et al and I think Uncle Bernie more than holds his own. The RCO cellis & basses are phat. Sick.
      Phat does mean Pretty Hot And Tempting, like the other definitions say. The problem with "phat" is that it is no longer in really. It has kind of phased out and is mostly used by wannabes, lowerclassmen in high school, or middle schoolers. It is now considered a slang faux pas. I wouldn't use it if I was you.
      14 year old: "That's phat man."
      22 year old: "Um, dude, that word got old in the late '90s"
      from the urban dictionary.

Haitink is often superb in Shostakovich, and outclasses Petrenko (IMO), despite not being Russian. Compare their versions of 10, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        from the urban dictionary.

Haitink is often superb in Shostakovich, and outclasses Petrenko (IMO), despite not being Russian. Compare their versions of 10, for example.
        I think phat has been overtaken by sick in urban lexicon.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          I heard Haitink here in Chicago with the 4th. Those concerts later released as a CD.
          Still available?
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I think phat has been overtaken by sick in urban lexicon.
            Dubious use, and you perhaps might not wish to be thought a chav, would you?

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              Still available?
              Certainly is, Bbm:

... spliced from five events (? - I presume rehearsals and concerts) in May 2008, it is rather puzzling that they chose to include a performance where the percussion get a bit lost at the end of the middle movement! A very good performance in spite of that (and I'm still very grateful to the Forumista who kindly passed an unwanted copy on to me ), but I still prefer the late '70s studio recording with the LPO.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

One of my all time great Proms was Haitink and the Concertgebouw in an electrifying performance of the Shostakovich 8 on Sept 5 1983. The Nelsons 8th has the most terrific bass drum I've ever heard in a recording and will have you cowering behind the sofa.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  The Nelsons 8th has the most terrific bass drum I've ever heard in a recording and will have you cowering behind the sofa.

Comment

I have a pretty good Shostakovich collection, including performances by Bernstein, Haitink, Maxim Shostakovich and more. One fun favourite of mine on LP, which I have just ordered on CD for the princely sum of £3.75, is the two piano concertos played by Eugene List. These were originally Westminster recordings with the Berlin Opera Orchestra in No. 1 and the Vienna Opera Orchestra in No. 2.
                    My copy of the LP is on World Record Club, remember them ? The conductors are Georg Ludwig Jochum and Victor Desarzens.

At the age of 16, List won a youth contest sponsored by Stokowski and gave the American premiere of Concerto No. 1 in 1934, and that started his career.

The playing on this rather creaky LP is full of verve and enthusiasm , and the recording isn't bad although there are some rather alarming close ups, notably the side drum in the right hand speaker, but they are lively performances.

I haven't kept track of other Eugene List performances, I must investigate further.

Comment

Dubious use, and you perhaps might not wish to be thought a chav, would you?
                      http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sick
                      I am a bit of a chav, on the quiet. I can live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                        I have a pretty good Shostakovich collection, including performances by Bernstein, Haitink, Maxim Shostakovich and more. One fun favourite of mine on LP, which I have just ordered on CD for the princely sum of £3.75, is the two piano concertos played by Eugene List. These were originally Westminster recordings with the Berlin Opera Orchestra in No. 1 and the Vienna Opera Orchestra in No. 2.
                        My copy of the LP is on World Record Club, remember them ? The conductors are Georg Ludwig Jochum and Victor Desarzens.

At the age of 16, List won a youth contest sponsored by Stokowski and gave the American premiere of Concerto No. 1 in 1934, and that started his career.

The playing on this rather creaky LP is full of verve and enthusiasm , and the recording isn't bad although there are some rather alarming close ups, notably the side drum in the right hand speaker, but they are lively performances.

I haven't kept track of other Eugene List performances, I must investigate further.
                        I'm sure that this recording was chosen as a BaL first choice MANY years ago. I'd guess late 70's or early 80's. It was one of the first BaLs I ever heard and I recall being fascinated by the comparisons made and the rationale given for it being a first choice.

Comment

One of my all time great Proms was Haitink and the Concertgebouw in an electrifying performance of the Shostakovich 8 on Sept 5 1983.
                          I would have loved to have been at that gig - was wasting my time at New Order, The Smiths and Wedding Present gigs that year.

The Nelsons 8th has the most terrific bass drum I've ever heard in a recording and will have you cowering behind the sofa.
                          Celibidache’s MPO Verdi Requiem, Dies Irae blows Nelsons out of the water! Believe me.

I bought the Nelsons DSCH 8 on a Hi-Res download, after all the Gramophone, HighlandDougie & Petrushka accolades, and I can safely say it pales against the EMI Celi CD. This is the super-heavyweight world champion of bass drum!!

Comment

I am a bit of a chav, on the quiet. I can live with it.
                            Fascinating pages, those urban dictionary ones. I don't go there often.

Comment

Fascinating pages, those urban dictionary ones. I don't go there often.
                              I almost never go there - no need, everyone seems to speak like that, 'round my way.

Comment

One of my all time great Proms was Haitink and the Concertgebouw in an electrifying performance of the Shostakovich 8 on Sept 5 1983. The Nelsons 8th has the most terrific bass drum I've ever heard in a recording and will have you cowering behind the sofa.
                                Pet, were you at the RFH, when the orchestra and Haitink did No.4, c/w Brendel playing LvB's PC No.4, probably in the same year?
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X