Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
    'Classique Discotheque' so-called arrived this morning and very fine it looks, even though it does contain about 75 more minutes of Hildegard von Bingen's than I am ever likely to want to hear.
    Mine arrived today too. Quite a lot of duplicates of discs I already have (including the delightful Hildegard), but at a fiver (including p&p) who's to complain?

The Levine Mahler also arrived. Again, a few duplicates, but for once the splitting of symphonies respects their integrity. Part 1 of the Third closes the disc which opens with the final movement of the Sixth, and the First movement of Mahler's Tenth follows the First Symphony. This is appropriate as that movement was recorded (in analogue), and indeed issued, a couple of years before the digital recording of the other four movements (using a Cooke performing version of Mahler's sketches for his Tenth).

Comment

Some amazing bargains are to be had in Play.com's clearout. I have just ordered (inter alia) for £8.99 Argerich's 8cd EMI box of chamber music featured in CD Review (last Saturday?) and the Cziffra 5cd Liszt box on EMI for £4.49. Amongst a number of items of dubious provenance in the link below there are many gems to be found at all price levels. These invariably sell out quickly as I have found to my cost on previous occasions.

Comment

Thanks hafod. THere are indeed some really gems to be found there.

Comment

Many thanks from me too, hafod. Britten's recording of Death in Venice, Solti's Parsifal and 3 smaller items, all for well under £25 definitely can't be bad.
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Levine has recorded a (live) 'Resurrection'. Here it is:

Comment

Thanks hafod for Play.com tip

I looked there on Monday but there was little to find. Different story this morning....

Comment

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                Thanks hafod for Play.com tip
                Another hit on the credit card from this excellent thread!!

Comment

Not quite the financial bargains usually highlighted here, but with the future availability of BBC Legends recordings possibly being in doubt, I thought I'd mention that Presto has a 25% off offer until September, making single CDs £8.80

:http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/his...Legends&page=2

Comment

Just taken delivery of Radu Lupu concerto recordings. 6CD boxed set for £15-99 (Amazon). Particularly impressed by presentation with booklet and miniaturised facsimile LP sleeves.

Comment

This Mozart opera set isn't bad value, and some of the performances are really good - http://www.selections.com/BX091/moza...-operas-44cds/ - for under £20.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        This Mozart opera set isn't bad value, and some of the performances are really good - http://www.selections.com/BX091/moza...-operas-44cds/ - for under £20.
                        Looks like they are the CDs from the Brilliant Classics Complete Mozart Edition. There are indeed some fine recordings in there, those conducted by Mackerras, for instance.

Comment

Yes, that's right. I have the big Mozart box, as well as a few of the individual operas which I bought earlier. At the under £20 price, the opera set seems very good value, though I have seen the complete sets occasionally at low prices. If I recall correctly I had the whole Bach set for under £50 from Amazon. There's also a Mozart chamber music box on the Selections site, probably good though maybe not such a bargain overall, as I can't remember any of the performances being really outstanding. The Cosi and the Magic Flute in the opera box are well worth having, then you also get all the obscure ones which many will play <=1 times out of curiosity.

Comment

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
                            Just taken delivery of Radu Lupu concerto recordings. 6CD boxed set for £15-99 (Amazon). Particularly impressed by presentation with booklet and miniaturised facsimile LP sleeves.
                            I'm sorely tempted...... this and the ASMF box are on my wishlist.

Comment

I give you permission, PJ x

Comment

I have always found this site to be a good place to find bargains: http://www.find-cd.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                                X