Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes indeed - Amazon often apes special offers from others but sometimes takes a few days to find them although it is far less tardy in raising its price when the competitor's offer finishes.
    Last edited by hafod; 04-03-11, 10:01. Reason: grammar and typo

Comment

Thanks. At under £12 it's almost a no brainer! I wonder why the price dropped so much?

Comment

Just picked up the Decca reissue of the classic 1968 recording of Billy Budd, including full texts; and the only available recording of the composer's recording with Fischer-Dieskau of the Songs and Proverbs of William Blake, and the Donne Holy Sonnets with Pears - for a fiver on Amazon!

Comment

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
          Just picked up the Decca reissue of the classic 1968 recording of Billy Budd, including full texts; and the only available recording of the composer's recording with Fischer-Dieskau of the Songs and Proverbs of William Blake, and the Donne Holy Sonnets with Pears - for a fiver on Amazon!
          Well, my computer can't find it. Gnashes of teeth

Comment

Originally posted by Alf-Prufrock View Post

Well, my computer can't find it. Gnashes of teeth
            Alf, Think I might possibly have snapped up the last copy at that price

Comment

Lucky you! Cheers!

Comment

Saw this on iTunes today for £4.99 - Beethoven: The Piano Concertos
                Alfred Brendel, Sir Simon Rattle & Wiener Philharmoniker

Comment

I popped into the Oxfam shop in Marylebone High Street today, and found a box of six LPs called Classical Piano Magic, featuring Earl Wild' in recordings issued by Reader's Digest.
                  These include Rachmaninov 2 & 4 and Rhapsody, Liszt 1, Chopin1, Saint-Saens 2, Franck Symphonic Variations and Mussorgsky's pictures. The whole box has obviously never been played and cost £4.99.
                  These discs were originally recorded by RCA, with the legendary Kenneth Wilkinson as engineer.
                  I've also found an excellent Louis Kentner Liszt recital, and a Romeo and Juliet selection from the Philharmonia and Kurtz, not a bad haul for £6.99 !

Comment

The Barenboim complete Beethoven Symphonies is £4.49 on iTunes.

Thanks for the Brendel tip. Be warned that the gapless playback from the slow movement to the finale of the Emporer doesn't work (idiots!).

Comment

The Fitzwilliam Quartet's Shostakovich integrale is currently £15.95 at Zavvi and the Hut.

You can pick up Kertesz's highly regarded Dvorak Requieum for only £3.49 at Amazon and Play.

Comment

The new Mandelring SACD box of the Shostakovich Quartets is currently on offer at MDT for £31.60. Good as the Fitswilliam set is, I think double the price for the Mandelring SACDs is well and truly worth the extra, but then I already have the Fitzwilliams.

Comment

Bryn,
                          The box set is NOT in SACD but is only CD.

Comment

Originally posted by soileduk View Post
                            Bryn,
                            The box set is NOT in SACD but is only CD.
                            If that is indeed the case, hmv.com are misselling the set:

That is where I first noted the release, before searching around for a more competitive price.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bryn;48428]If that is indeed the case, hmv.com are misselling the set:

Definitely true - several online sellers say mistakenly that it's on SACD. Perhaps Audite changed their minds late on. Well worth having on individual SACDs if you're set up for them.

Comment

A bit late for me. MDT have already dispatched them.

Comment

Working...
                                X