Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently purchased the DG Boulez Bartok 6cd boxed set for £18 in HMV which I enjoyed, I loved in particular the performances of the Piano Concertos and Duke Bluebeard's Castle.

Comment

When is a bargain not a bargain? When it's Kissin playing the Schumann Piano Concerto and Mozart's K491 on an EMI Classics disc recorded at the Barbican. This was one I found at Gramex, OK, going for a song, but dreadful. Stodgy recording, mannered playing, I doubt if Colin Davis and the LSO had their heart in it.
      Never mind, on the same visit I did find Lawrence Power's new disc of Hindemith's music for viola, so all was not lost!

Comment

"I found at Gramex, OK, going for a song,"

How much does a song go for at Gramex these days, Ferret? I'm thinking of paying a visit one morning, with a visit to MasterFish fish & chips in Waterloo Road for lunch

When I go mad, I go maaaad, you know

Comment

amateur51,
          Most Gramex stuff goes for as little as a fiver, sometimes £3, and if they like you they often round it down for a group of purchases. Of course, it's very much pot luck what you find in their tottering heaps. Recent purchases include the new Lawrence Power full price Hyperion Hindemith at £6, presumably a revue copy, Schubert's D960 etc. with Stephen Hough £5, a disc of Webern with Sinopoli, £5, and a Chandos recording of Tippett's 4th with Hickox the same.

I don't know the proprietor's name, but he has a great line in patter on almost any subject, and sometimes offers a cuppa while you browse. You never know, we may meet there over milk and no sugar!

I don't know the chippy, but two doors away from Gramex is a very nice butchers, food shop and cafe. The fresh meat counter looks terrific, and they do a mean line in raised pies. The chicken, stilton and broccoli is mouth watering!

I went to buy a book for my partner at Ian Allen's bookshop near Gramex a couple of weeks before Christmas, slipped on the step and had a very heavy fall. No broken bones, but the most spectacular bruise from hip to kneecap, and about six inches wide. The photo on my mobile phone is too extreme to post here! That's what happens when you humour people's obsession with historic ocean liners!

Comment

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
            I don't know the proprietor's name, but he has a great line in patter on almost any subject, and sometimes offers a cuppa while you browse.
            Woger has been known, in the summer, to go out and reappear with ice creams for everyone in the shop!

Comment

Ouch! Ferret that sounds a nasty fall

Arnica's the stuff to rub on a bruise, I'm told. I don't move fast enough to bruise these days

Good prices and all that serendipity, sounds like a place to visit.

Here's the gen on the chip shop

All in all, a fine prospect for a day out

Comment

Is this the same man who was there back in the seventies and eighties? He always reminded me a little of Frankie Howerd.

Comment

Amateur51,

Thanks for the info re the fish and chips, I've got a little list! Off today to visit the Dulwich Art Gallery just round the corner from my old home. As for the bruise, it would have needed a lot of arnica, as it was I took a perverse pleasure in seeing the colours unfold, a bit like this week's predicted aurora borealis.

Bws.
                  Ferret

Comment

On the 11.02.11 I posted a bargain on Amazon - Giulio Cesare Opera conducted by Rene Jacobs on Harmonia Mundi for £9.99
                    instead of it's list price of £37.50.
                    I talked too soon! I ordered this bargain but it never arrived to date. Amazon claimed it was lost in the post. So, they said they would reorder it and today I was informed that 2they would reorder it2 but it may take several weeks! I bet(?)
                    Has anyone else had similar experiences with Amazon?

Comment

Originally posted by Daring Tripod View Post
                      On the 11.02.11 I posted a bargain on Amazon - Giulio Cesare Opera conducted by Rene Jacobs on Harmonia Mundi for £9.99
                      I talked too soon! I ordered this bargain but it never arrived to date. Amazon claimed it was lost in the post. So, they said they would reorder it and today I was informed that 2they would reorder it2 but it may take several weeks! I bet(?)
                      Has anyone else had similar experiences with Amazon?
                      No, but I have had a few under-priced bargains from them which they delivered without hiccup. I have also had some success with hmv.com, though they did renege on a Vivaldi opera set about 18 months ago (quoting a legal get-out where obvious pricing errors are concerned).

Comment

Originally posted by Daring Tripod View Post
                        I ordered the 20 CDs of The Real Chopin. It was listed as backordered and I had several emails with various potential delivery dates. It arrived at the quoted £11.12 a bit earlier than indicated in the last of the emails. Am still making my way through the CDs with great enjoyment.

Comment

Ditto, and we are not alone here regarding that particular pricing error at amazon.co.uk. Wonderful bargain. I think the delayed delivery problem was a genuine rescheduling of its UK release.

Comment

Someone fairly recently wanted advice about which Beethoven symphonies set to buy. Gardiner's set is available at a rather reduced price of £22 - http://www.selections.com/AK170/beet...htext=gardiner - which makes it more affordable. At that price I'm tempted myself. I know some don't like Gardiner, and arguments can be made that it doesn't sound like a full orchestra (i.e modern), while others might say it sounds just like one, etc. - but I have been impressed by some of the performances. I have some of the individual recordings, but not the set, and as I recall the recordings themselves are rather good.

Comment

Dave 2002:

If you are tempted at £22 plus postage try £11.49 post free at Play.com (hope the link below works).

Comment

matched by Amazon

very cheap if you're after this set.

Comment

Working...
                                X