No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    am51

It does indeed. Very much better than this - http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7755638 (AVOID) - perhaps I shouldn't even include that link! Thanks.
    Bingo!

Comment

Cheapest price still appears to be

Comment

The Ultimate Mozart collection on 40 CDs for...(drum roll) £6.49 in the works in the York designer outlet! It was the last one but they may have it in other branches.
        Best regards,
        Jonathan

Comment

A bargain indeed, Jonathan. I paid all of £9.99 for mine in the Windsor branch last year.

Comment

Bruch/Mendelssohn violin concertos for 99p...

A wide range of Gardening, home accessories, wildlife and bird care products, outdoor leisure and games.
            Steve

Comment

am51

It does indeed. Very much better than this - http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7755638 (AVOID) - perhaps I shouldn't even include that link! Thanks.
              I was lucky enough to get a 10CD set of early Britten/Pears ("If Music be the Food of Love")recordings for a tenner in a Museum Shop which was closing down recently. It includes the earlier 1946 recording of The Rape of Lucretia (also with Reggie Goodall) but with Kathleen Ferrier instead of Joan Cross recorded in Amsterdam. I used to have the Joan Cross version on a Music for Pleasure LP. The 10 disc set includes St Nicholas, A Ceremony of Carols, Excerpts from Billy Budd with Theodor Uppman, Van Beinum's Four Sea Interludes, The Little Sweep, Turn of the Screw, Frank Bridge Variations, Folk Songs and much more.

I notice the Ferrier Lucretia is available on the Gala label for a few pounds:

Comment

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                Bruch/Mendelssohn violin concertos for 99p...

http://www.selections.com/L649/bruch-violin-concerto-1/
                Some good stuff, and some even lower prices this week. This Tippett 2fer could be a good buy - http://www.selections.com/AJ059/tipp...al-works-2cds/

Trawl through the 7 or so clearance pages, and there may well be things of interest. I spotted some Miaskovsky (Lyric Concertino etc.), Glazunov string quartets, and Saint Saens symphony 3 with the Liverpool Cathedral organ and more.

I'll probably pass on the Laredo Bruch/Mendelssohn though, as have too many of those already, but if someone tells me it's good I might change my mind.
                Last edited by Dave2002; 18-08-11, 07:57.

Comment

Amazon has just dropped the price of the impending (12 September) 20cd Icon box of William Steinberg from £48 to £15.83. Interestingly it is the same price price as the impending Icons from Mackerras and Handley which have only 5cds each so how long before they realise? For 'pre-releases' they say that if the price drops further before issue then the lowest price is charged. Presumably, if the price rises then the lowest price is also charged?

Comment

I've just looked at the link you kindly provided, but it says it's a 5-CD set, (not 20) and doesn't give any details of what they consist of..... unless I'm not seeing something glaringly obviuous.

Comment

Thanks again hafod, your research is very valuable!!
                      For anyone else interested, here are the contents as listed by jpc:
                      http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/deta...rg-Icon-Series

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                        unless I'm not seeing something glaringly obviuous.
                        The point is - Amazon have made a mistake and are quoting the wrong price. If you want it, order it quickly, I just have. Amazon will honour the price at which it is ordered.

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                          I've just looked at the link you kindly provided, but it says it's a 5-CD set, (not 20) and doesn't give any details of what they consist of..... unless I'm not seeing something glaringly obviuous.
                          I had not noticed that as the photograph of the box has '20cds' written on it. It is just worth noting that there is some overlap with the Milstein Icon box namely the Beethoven, Dvorak, Mendelssohn, Glazunov and Tchaikovsky concertos - about two-and-a-half cds - but at this price who cares? Europadisc has a full contents list with recording dates. Curlach's advice (#266) is sound.

William Steinberg: Complete EMI Recordings | There were occasions during the three decades when the LP record ruled supreme – from the 1950s to the 1970s –

Comment

Some good stuff, and some even lower prices this week. This Tippett 2fer could be a good buy - http://www.selections.com/AJ059/tipp...al-works-2cds/.
                            Excellent value. It is half of the Nimbus 4CD set of Tippett works and the Tirimo PC is lovely as is the Triple Concerto. All easy going on the ear for those who wish to sample Britain's most interesting modern composer. You even get his delightful version of "All Round My Hat" in the "Birthday Suite for Prince Charles"**.

**Take care that you include the first letter "e" in that title.

Comment

Not at all familiar with Steinberg, so have gone for this: thanks for the tip-off!

Comment

Too late, alas. Amazon have clearly realised their error and the price has gone back up again. The other two September Icon releases (Charles Mackerras; Vernon Handley) are both 5 disc sets and priced at £15.83

Comment

Working...
                                X