Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bryn

Thanks for that. "Glib" late quartets: to be avoided, even at that price. I'll stick to the Takacs for now.

HD

Comment

Among the real bargain sets of Beethoven string quartets is:

This very complete set, including the quintets too, using new editions by Jonathan Del Mar, has garnered some high praise.

The CDs, rather than the mp3s linked to above, can be found for £14.74 including p&p at play.co. That's where I got my set from, IIRC.

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/8266...ddpt=672455938
      Last edited by Bryn; 04-09-11, 12:04.

Comment

I haven't yet bought any of the Artemis's Beethoven, hoping for a bargain box of the complete set, so I'll certainly be diving in. BTW, even more of a bargain if you shop at Sainsburys (any idea if they're to be trusted to honour an unintendedly low price published well in advance of the release?!). Although I've found Santa Fe Listener to be a pretty reliable reviewer (he's the author of the lukewarm review on Amazon.com), I've read plenty of other positive reviews (including Andrew McGregor) of some of the other releases in the set.

I certainly like what the Artemis do on the Brahms/Schumann quintets disc (with Andsnes), which is the only one of theirs I own, but I've also enjoyed the snippets played on CD review, and on Virgin/EMI's various publicity videos for the Beethoven. And much as I love my Takacs recordings, the Beethoven quartets are far too wide ranging & multi-faceted to be able to find the Whole Truth in one single boxed set. (Which is why I also have Vegh, ABQ, Julliard, Vermeer, Lindsays...)

So, Bryn, you'd suggest that I also get the Endellions? I think I'd been put off by some lukewarm reviews - but my interest is certainly piqued by the Amazon review which praises their restraint in vibrato, which would fit in with my tastes nicely...

Comment

ostuni, if it helps, there is lots of vibrato, it's just that it's used judiciously, rather than ubiquitously.

Oh, and I see that some chap by the name of Mark Sealey had reviewed the set here:

The Classical Net web site offers a comprehensive collection of information and news on classical music subjects including articles and CD reviews, composers and their music, the basic repertoire, recommended recordings and a CD buying guide. The site now features over 9000 files of information including thousands of CD, Book, Concert, DVD and Blu-ray reviews and more than 5500 links to other classical music sites.
          Last edited by Bryn; 04-09-11, 13:37.

Comment

Originally posted by hafod View Post
            Presto now lists the contents. A very mixed bag and anyone who has been collecting for sometime will have most of the plums.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4782826
            Agreed, though could be a good buy for someone who's just starting out.

I was intrigued by the associated recommendation on the Amazon site for this boxed set called Lumières, which was at least partly attributed (possibly incorrectly) to Paul Lewis.

Presto has a few more details, though a higher price.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              vibrato, it's just that it's used judiciously, rather than ubiquitously.

Oh, and I see that some chap by the name of Mark Sealey had reviewed the set
              reviewing the B'ven Q'tets must be a terrifying experience...
              I wd be very tentative in the matter - but I am comforted by the thought that our M Sealey shares my appreciation of the Endellions.
              Yes, of course, in the fullness of time one shd have LOTS of them on the shelves - Busch - Italiano - Guarneri - Hungarians - Takacs - Vlach - Lindsays - usw usw - but for anyone starting out - The Endellions - amazingly cheap - the best current text - stylish throughout - you can't go wrong....

Comment

Thanks, Bryn & vinteuil - the Endellions looks like a must-get for me. Duly ordered from play.com: thanks for the tip-off.

Comment

While we're at it, there's a DVD of the Endellions playing Op. 18/6, 59/2 and 131 which makes a fine supplement (and uses the same texts):

Pretty much a bargain too, at £9.25 including p&p from an amazon marketplace supplier at the moment.

Comment

I went to quite a few of the Endellions' concerts in the 1980s and especially enjoyed their performances of Haydn and Beethoven. I also heard Britten and Tippett quartets for the first time in their concerts - and at that time those works were not very frequently programmed.

I have too many CDs already though and will stick to the Italian and Lindsay sets of the Beethoven.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      reviewing the B'ven Q'tets must be a terrifying experience...
                      I wd be very tentative in the matter - but I am comforted by the thought that our M Sealey shares my appreciation of the Endellions.
                      Yes, of course, in the fullness of time one shd have LOTS of them on the shelves - Busch - Italiano - Guarneri - Hungarians - Takacs - Vlach - Lindsays - usw usw - but for anyone starting out - The Endellions - amazingly cheap - the best current text - stylish throughout - you can't go wrong....
                      The Endellions do have the considerable advantage of using by far the best texts - at the price that almost makes this set worth having, but - for me - it doesn't quite. I may be in a minority of one here, but I find they lack the last ounce in technical polish and the result is that occasionally the playing sounds more like a struggle than a performance. There's a school of thought that says that's all part of the Beethoven Quartet experience (and it's presumably why the Lindsays and others are so admired too), but I find it counterproductive. The problem I have with the Artemis is the reverse - they seem a bit too cool and unengaged in the parts of the cycle I've heard (which is most of it).

With the quartets the Busch recorded, early Juilliard cycle, and complete sets from the Alban Berg and the Emerson (especially - though I know some people hate this cycle), I'm probably happy with what I've got - until a spectacularly good period-instrument version comes along to put next to these.

Comment

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                        I'm probably happy with what I've got - until a spectacularly good period-instrument version comes along to put next to these.
                        I wonder how the London Haydn Quartet get on with the Beethoven quartets? Their recordings of early Haydn Quartets (opera 9, 17 and 20) are pretty special, don't you find?

Oh, and I had forgotten that the Emersons set was now a bargain box, especially at amazon.co.uk. I have yet to listen to all of the recordings in their survey.
                        Last edited by Bryn; 04-09-11, 18:54.

Comment

I wonder how the London Haydn Quartet get on with the Beethoven quartets? Their recordings of early Haydn Quartets (opera 9, 17 and 20) are pretty special, don't you find?
                          I like those Haydn CDs a lot - the LHQ make a really beautiful sound as well as having a great sense of style. So - yes, it could be really interesting. What I don't know is whether they play any Beethoven (!)

Comment

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                            I'm probably happy with what I've got - until a spectacularly good period-instrument version comes along...
                            Yes, I'm really impatient for a fuller HIPP take on the Beethoven Quartets. I have the Eroica (opp 74, 95, 135), which I have enjoyed: sadly no chance of their doing more. I wd so like to hear what the Mosaiques, Festetics, Salomon might bring to Beethoven...

Comment

The Mosaiques have recorded the op. 18 set, and the Salomons tackled the Op. 59s (broadcast on Radio 3) back in the '80s.

Comment

The Mosaiques have recorded the op. 18 set...
                                Bryn - thanks! - and I see that it's on amazon.... .

Comment

Working...
                                X