Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    Here's a nice door stopper. No obvious way of finding out what it contains.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Decca-Sound-.../dp/B005D51II0
    Thanks for pointing this out - it could be terrific. With any luck a listing of what's in it should be available before too long. The contents of the companion (5 disc) box of "highlights" might give a few clues (or might contain things that aren't in the big box...who knows at this stage).

Comment

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
      Thanks for pointing this out - it could be terrific. With any luck a listing of what's in it should be available before too long. The contents of the companion (5 disc) box of "highlights" might give a few clues (or might contain things that aren't in the big box...who knows at this stage).
      It's certain to be an interesting selection. The drawback may be that if this is going to be the "Best of Decca" it will contain a large number of recordings that we already have.

Comment

Harmonia Mundi have a 30-disc box called "Music of the Enlightenment" for release early October - a survey of music written 1715-1789. Currently £38.89 at Amazon. Haven't found a full track listing, but there's a list of works here and performers here.

Comment

Originally posted by crb11 View Post
          Harmonia Mundi have a 30-disc box called "Music of the Enlightenment" for release early October - a survey of music written 1715-1789. Currently £38.89 at Amazon. Haven't found a full track listing, but there's a list of works here and performers here.
          Best price found so far is MDT at £34.35 but there is postage to add (unless the order exceeds £50).

Comment

This just caught my eye - Cello Jewels: Essential chamber works of the 19th century: Esther Nyffenegger - a 7cd set issued tomorrow. Details at

Cello Jewels: Essential chamber works of the 19th century | On the occasion of Esther Nyffenegger’s 70th birthday, Divox presents a box of her recordings t

although HMV currently has it for £14.99 delivered and duly ordered.

Comment

Originally posted by hafod View Post
              This just caught my eye - Cello Jewels: Essential chamber works of the 19th century: Esther Nyffenegger - a 7cd set issued tomorrow. Details at

Cello Jewels: Essential chamber works of the 19th century | On the occasion of Esther Nyffenegger’s 70th birthday, Divox presents a box of her recordings t

Europadisc offering 5% off across the board until midnight tonight. Very favourable prices on new September Decca/DG boxes for preorder. Worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by hafod View Post

A pity the Pfitzner 1888 concerto (available on CPO) and the Sutermeister concerto no.2 (dedicated to her) aren't included.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                  A pity the Pfitzner 1888 concerto (available on CPO) and the Sutermeister concerto no.2 (dedicated to her) aren't included.
                  http://www.goenglish.com/GoEnglish_c...InTheMouth.gif

Comment

I've had some very good bargain prices from HMV, byeways music - Boughton's The Queen of Cornwall, for example. This was before they hit financial trouble but worth investigating.

Comment

The Sutermeister hasn't got a recent recording on CD (Nyffenegger's 1972 recording for Colosseum of both concertos the only available one). I am not waiting for another set of Beethoven - Brahms etcetera pieces, some of them not even originals (Franck e.g.), all of them widely available (even the Pfitzner), let alone contemplating buying it.

Comment

Here's a nice door stopper. No obvious way of finding out what it contains.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Decca-Sound-.../dp/B005D51II0
                        Presto now lists the contents. A very mixed bag and anyone who has been collecting for sometime will have most of the plums.

Last edited by hafod; 01-09-11, 09:10. Reason: revised opinion.

Comment

Thanks for the link. Having just glanced through it, I am sure I won't be getting it. Although it contains quite a few interesting unusual items that I haven't got there is a fair bit of duplication and there are rather a lot of small items and excerpts which make it, as you say, it bit of a ragbag. Strangely, no chamber music except some solo piano - perhaps there's a chamber music box on the horizon.

Comment

Thanks for the link. Having just glanced through it, I am sure I won't be getting it. Although it contains quite a few interesting unusual items that I haven't got there is a fair bit of duplication and there are rather a lot of small items and excerpts which make it, as you say, it bit of a ragbag. Strangely, no chamber music except some solo piano - perhaps there's a chamber music box on the horizon.
                            Ditto, many old friends there but mostly already on the shelves!

Comment

Anyone have any views on the Artemis performances of the Beethoven SQs? Tye following

looks like a good buy but before getting out the plastic I wondered what people thought

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                                Anyone have any views on the Artemis performances of the Beethoven SQs? Tye following

looks like a good buy but before getting out the plastic I wondered what people thought
                                What on Earth are they Harping on about, "Beethoven: Complete String Quartets + Op.74"?

Sorry, I don't know these recordings. Low cost sets of the complete Beethoven string quartets are, as it were, "ten a penny", and there a some fine versions among them.

This might give some idea of the Atemis Quartet's approach though:

Also, there is a fairly negative customer review regarding their late quartet performances here:

Comment

Working...
                                X