Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Gentile me has just received an email re Katchen box set from Italy: Arriverà: sabato 28 ottobre.
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jpegasus View Post
      Richter at Carnegie Hall box received here on Wednesday.

There are two CDs in the Carnegie Hall set (discs 10 and 11, an all-Beethoven programme given on 23 December 1960) not in the Complete Album Collection.

But why couldn't this recital have been released separately? It could even have been £4.76.
      Mine is due to be delivered to the post office at the back of W H Smith today. Unfortunately I am unable to collect it until Monday. However, Amazon have advised me that the price had a significant drop since I ordered it. I am 2p better off as a result. That said, the current best price on amazon.co.uk for the 'new' set is £36.68 including p&p. We did indeed get it at bargain price.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
        I'd been waiting for a competitive price on the Rachmaninov complete works set since it came out, since there is some inevitable duplication etc. Nowadays I am trying to resist box sets, and then this offer came along......
        Well, I'm lucky enough to have an mp3 recording of the extensive review of the set on CD Review in late 2014 (which alerted me to the set):
        With Andrew McGregor. Including Building a Library: Purcell: Hail! Bright Cecilia.

Almost uniform appreciation of the performances on this set from the likes of Ashkenazy, Soderstrom, Previn, Argerch, Richter.........it goes on. Listening again to this last night moved me to press the button.....
        Picked up the Rachmaninov box from the Royal Mail sorting office this afternoon. I currently have the bonus disc, The Real Rachmaninov with Vladimir Ashkenazy and Rob Cowan. Looking forward to listening to the original versions of the 1st and 4th Piano Concertos, etc.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

... just rec'd the Katchen - many thanks to kamisama / hafod

I see this 35 CD collection - as advertised on the box and in the booklet - actually includes a CD 36 (Rach: Rhaps: on a theme of Paganini; Dohnanyi Vars: on a Nursery Song).

Very much looking forward to a moment of spare time to dip into this...

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Herreweghe : Harmonia Mundi Years. 30 CD box.

Plenty around at about £31 on market place.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Just ordered this, on spec. amazon.co.uk want more than twice the MDT price.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Just ordered this, on spec. amazon.co.uk want more than twice the MDT price.
                Monteverdi: L'Orfeo (Les Arts Florissants, Paul Agnew). Picked up the Blu-ray + DVD pairing from the sorting office this afternoon. I was a bit taken aback to note that the specification given on the back panel of the casing states that the only audio provided is DTS 5.1 surround. No mention of LPCM 2 channel stereo of Dolby Digital. However, when I loaded the Blu-ray disc into the player the audio was initially identified as bog standard Dolby Digital. Once the opera began the audio identification changed to DTS-HD MA. Phew! Still no 2 channel stereo option, however. The player's mix-down to 2 channels sound pretty good though. I will check out the DVD's audio later. I am finding the production very attractive. Many instrumentalists of Les Arts Florissants play on stage, among the vocal musicians. The English subtitles have a somewhat unfinished look to them, the occasional "?" turning up mid-text (i.e not as punctuation as such), suggesting uncertainty in the appropriateness of the translation offered.

Best price at the moment still appears to be that at MDT.

[Just checked the audio on the DVD. It's restricted to Dolby Digital 5.1.]

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

15 CDs of Gustav Leonhardt's Sony recordings for under 10 euros:

Comment

• hafod
                    • Nov 2010

Mendelssohn - The Collection 45 discs. Hanssler - £21.86 delivered new from a m/place seller on AmIt.

or from (same seller) at AmUk, £27.06 delivered.

Comment

• Pianorak
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                      Mendelssohn - The Collection 45 discs. Hanssler - £21.86 delivered new from a m/place seller on AmIt.

or from (same seller) at AmUk, £27.06 delivered.
                      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Felix-Mende.../dp/B0753HSTQV
                      Complete track listings: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/det...n/hnum/7734654
                      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                        Do we know who the performers are? I already have two copies (slightly different versions) of the Brilliant box sets. Most of the CDs are unplayed - but some which I've played are good. The ones I've not played may also be good - but I'm not in a great hurry to hear them.

Comment

• Kamisama
                          • Mar 2015

Solti Chicago complete - 108 CDs 75.99 Euros

May not be at this price for long...

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Kamisama View Post
                            Solti Chicago complete - 108 CDs 75.99 Euros

May not be at this price for long...
                            I think they left 100 off. Tried to log in and got a spanish two epstep code which at the speed read my Spanish did not grab.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              I think they left 100 off. Tried to log in and got a spanish two epstep code which at the speed read my Spanish did not grab.
                              They accepted my order (£76.41 including p&p). Scheduled for delivery 21 to 23 inst. I have no Spanish to speak of. Just followed the standard Amazon layout.
                              Last edited by Bryn; 16-11-17, 00:21. Reason: Misquoted final cost.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                                Both have now leapt in price.

Comment

Working...
                                X