Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
    Well, deserving of a spin? Catching my Katchen soon!
    See update to #7049, do not hesitate. I now hear some occasional pre-echo in the April 1949 recording of the Brahms Op. 24, recorded one day before my first birthday.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
      Has anyone already got the big Rachmaninov box? I am rather tempted...go on, urge me a little more!
      I've not got the box but I do have (just about?) all of the excellent Ashkenazy recordings featured. I especially recommend his superb recording of The Bells.
      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        See update to #7049, do not hesitate. I now hear some occasional pre-echo in the April 1949 recording of the Brahms Op. 24, recorded one day before my first birthday.
        I am hesitating, as I have most of the pieces already in recordings - though not by Katchen.
        OTOH there are a few which may be of interest, and if bought separately would cost almost as much as this box at the current price - for examples the Brahms cello and violin sonatas.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Thanks, Bryn. Mine's due 30 Oct/3 Nov.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Niche repertoire maybe but Lieder fans may well be interested in this Membran Othmar Schoeck Complete Songs box on 12 CDs , well-priced at £37 and re-issued from well-received and long-deleted recordings from the Swiss label Jecklin. I've just ordered from jpc.

Comment

...and a good Katch too, his Mozart is a better listen than Annerose's!
              Last edited by cloughie; 25-10-17, 19:41.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                Niche repertoire maybe but Lieder fans may well be interested in this Membran Othmar Schoeck Complete Songs box on 12 CDs , well-priced at £37 and re-issued from well-received and long-deleted recordings from the Swiss label Jecklin. I've just ordered from jpc.
                i'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with that, Gurney.

I'm tempted at that price,but I think I have too much else on my shelves that needs my attention first.

Defenitely a good prod to investigate Schoecks work further though as I don't know much more than the 2 SQs, which are excellent.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                  I've not got the box but I do have (just about?) all of the excellent Ashkenazy recordings featured. I especially recommend his superb recording of The Bells.
                  First CD I bought, well before I actually bought a player!
                  I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                    First CD I bought, well before I actually bought a player!
                    Thanks for that...still thinking about getting the big Rachmaninov set. It's just shelf space that's the problem!

Comment

I'd been waiting for a competitive price on the Rachmaninov complete works set since it came out, since there is some inevitable duplication etc. Nowadays I am trying to resist box sets, and then this offer came along......
                      Well, I'm lucky enough to have an mp3 recording of the extensive review of the set on CD Review in late 2014 (which alerted me to the set):
                      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04prjsf
                      Almost uniform appreciation of the performances on this set from the likes of Ashkenazy, Soderstrom, Previn, Argerch, Richter.........it goes on. Listening again to this last night moved me to press the button.....

Comment

Just had the dreaded "We're still trying to obtain the item(s)" email for the Richter / Carnegie Hall

Not too upset as I have a lot of Richter already, much of it in better sound this (based on reviews) but I do feel it's not right to advertise and then not deliver!

Comment

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                          Just had the dreaded "We're still trying to obtain the item(s)" email for the Richter / Carnegie Hall

Not too upset as I have a lot of Richter already, much of it in better sound this (based on reviews) but I do feel it's not right to advertise and then not deliver!
                          ... I received yesterday the Richter / Carnegie (ordered 11 May) for £4.76 & p+p

- but you shd be aware that they also surface in the larger 18 CD 'complete album' collection -

Comment

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                            Well spotted - just ordered, thank you!
                            ...and just delivered shortly after 2pm. That is really quite speedy service.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              - but you shd be aware that they also surface in the larger 18 CD 'complete album' collection -
                              Richter at Carnegie Hall box received here on Wednesday.

There are two CDs in the Carnegie Hall set (discs 10 and 11, an all-Beethoven programme given on 23 December 1960) not in the Complete Album Collection.

But why couldn't this recital have been released separately? It could even have been £4.76.
                              Last edited by jpegasus; 27-10-17, 15:14.

Comment

Oddly Amazon is now saying dispatched. Happy ending

Comment

Working...
                                X