Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    Apologies to those who had problems with that Märzendorfer/Haydn download from 7Digital. It is probably good practice to try a download first myself before drawing attention to it.
    Update: 7Digital were very prompt in acknowledging the error and refunding via my credit card. I duly got the Presto download at an only slightly higher price. It is complete and with much better metadata and I am really enjoying the recordings.
    gurn, I wondered if you have purchased the other Haydn download set on the same label, again on Presto £8 for mp3 - Artur Balsam playing the Keyboard Sonatas - I’m toying with the idea, having sampled it on Spotify - would be interesting to know what the keyboard instrument used is
    - sounds rather like a fp but could be an early pf! Whichever it suits the music!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      gurn, I wondered if you have purchased the other Haydn download set on the same label, again on Presto £8 for mp3 - Artur Balsam playing the Keyboard Sonatas - I’m toying with the idea, having sampled it on Spotify - would be interesting to know what the keyboard instrument used is
      - sounds rather like a fp but could be an early pf! Whichever it suits the music!
      Thanks for the tip. I hadn't noticed it but it does look like a good bargain. I can't supply any background information and may investigate at some point. What might deter me from getting it is that I do already have a complete Haydn Sonata set from John McCabe on Decca .

Comment

Originally posted by Steerpike View Post

I must say that I've had very few faulty or missing sound files from Qobuz, or from Presto, and both have always put problems right reasonably quickly.
        Likewise. Moreover, I have to say I see really very little point in going to the expense of downloads when you can import files in Qobuz or play from the cache for the cost of a basic streaming subscription. Admittedly, one runs the risk of the record company withdrawing the recording but that is a rare occurrence. In situations where that does occur, then one can purchase the CD and rip it, or download the file from another site, which seems to me an infinitely more satisfactory (ie cheaper) approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          Likewise. Moreover, I have to say I see really very little point in going to the expense of downloads when you can import files in Qobuz or play from the cache for the cost of a basic streaming subscription. Admittedly, one runs the risk of the record company withdrawing the recording but that is a rare occurrence. In situations where that does occur, then one can purchase the CD and rip it, or download the file from another site, which seems to me an infinitely more satisfactory (ie cheaper) approach.
          It does happen that companies pull the plug on recordings, and generally the sound from CDs, SACDs, Blu Ray Audio etc. is better. There are download sites which may offer better quality audio than can be obtained from CD, but the downloads then take a longer time to download and take up more space.

I do use streaming and cheaper download services, but if I want better quality and to be reasonably sure that a performance/recording won't be withdrawn with next to no notice, I nearly always buy the CDs.

One last point - and I'm not sure exactly about this. Many streaming services return a pitifully small revenue back to the original artists. Having said that though, I'm not sure that regular CD distributors are any more generous. Maybe someone here will know. I often buy CDs at concerts, direct from the performers, and I think they do get the benefit or most of it - plus also whatever revenue they get from the ticket prices. Of course those are not necessarily "bargains" often costing considerably more than a cheap download or streaming subscription, but at least one can be fairly sure that some of the performers are helped by this.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            It does happen that companies pull the plug on recordings, and generally the sound from CDs, SACDs, Blu Ray Audio etc. is better. There are download sites which may offer better quality audio than can be obtained from CD, but the downloads then take a longer time to download and take up more space.

I do use streaming and cheaper download services, but if I want better quality and to be reasonably sure that a performance/recording won't be withdrawn with next to no notice, I nearly always buy the CDs.

One last point - and I'm not sure exactly about this. Many streaming services return a pitifully small revenue back to the original artists. Having said that though, I'm not sure that regular CD distributors are any more generous. Maybe someone here will know. I often buy CDs at concerts, direct from the performers, and I think they do get the benefit or most of it - plus also whatever revenue they get from the ticket prices. Of course those are not necessarily "bargains" often costing considerably more than a cheap download or streaming subscription, but at least one can be fairly sure that some of the performers are helped by this.
            As to the space occupied by high-resolution downloads, its many orders of magnitude smaller, when transferred, say, to a USB memory stick, than CDs, DVDs. Bul-rays take up. I do not know how well QOBUZ rewards artists whose work they make available for streaming but Bandcamp has a good reputation in this regard, especially on the first Friday of the month.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              As to the space occupied by high-resolution downloads, its many orders of magnitude smaller, when transferred, say, to a USB memory stick, than CDs, DVDs. Bul-rays take up.
              Do you mean physical space, or memory space? If the memory space is significantly smaller, then there must be some lossy process used in the data transfer. I thought the trend now is to use lossless coding for hi-res (so-called) which will take up less space than CDs, but not by an order of magnitude. Similarly for streaming - which has somewhat different constraints.

Comment

Probably all Bernie disciples have got these so nothing new maybe but Presto until 10/01/2022 have all BRSO CDs and downloads on offer - there is a Bernie set of 10 for £42.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  Do you mean physical space, or memory space? If the memory space is significantly smaller, then there must be some lossy process used in the data transfer. I thought the trend now is to use lossless coding for hi-res (so-called) which will take up less space than CDs, but not by an order of magnitude. Similarly for streaming - which has somewhat different constraints.
                  I would have hoped that the comparison to the space required by CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays made it clear that I was referring to physical space. Of course, there is also the consideration that lossless data compression will also lead to fewer data being required than for WAV, AIFF et al.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    I do not know how well QOBUZ rewards artists whose work they make available for streaming but Bandcamp has a good reputation in this regard, especially on the first Friday of the month.
                    Qobuz is better than most but the general return/income to musicians from streaming sites is, frankly, woeful. So, apologies for sounding like a stuck record, but I hope that those who espouse the virtues of streaming over downloads or actual physical media (CDs etc) might just bear all of these issues in mind.

Comment

A new Märzendorfer/Haydn symphonies problem: the prestissimo Finale of symphony 60 is missing.

My other recordings of this work either put it as a separate 6th movement or tag it on to the end of the Adagio 5th movement. The Märzendorfer download adopts neither solution! Is your copy ok or is this a general problem?

Steerpike

Comment

A new Märzendorfer/Haydn symphonies problem: the prestissimo Finale of symphony 60 is missing.

My other recordings of this work either put it as a separate 6th movement or tag it on to the end of the Adagio 5th movement. The Märzendorfer download adopts neither solution! Is your copy ok or is this a general problem?

Steerpike
                        Must be a general problem - it's missing from mine too. I haven't listened yet to check whether it's tagged on.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                          Must be a general problem - it's missing from mine too. I haven't listened yet to check whether it's tagged on.
                          Not there - I’ve informed Presto!

Comment

Steerpike
                            I hadn't spotted that. I note the prestissimo Finale is available on their Vol 4 download. Cloughie has written to them. Or one could just swallow the expense (mp3 - 84p, flac - £1.20.) and download it as a single movement.

(PS The movement is also missing on the faulty and refunded 7digital download which I found still lurking in my recycle bin.)

Comment

Steerpike
                              As with other missing movements from this set that were mentioned previously on this thread, movement VI of Symphony No.60 is also absent on Spotify. However, all six movements are present as separate files on Youtube.

Comment

Not a great bargain, but not a Download either. Presto have a service supplying to order a CD (CD-R - press on the "i" information logo) and booklet for nla Philips CDs on demand - Philips being a label no longer manufactured. And until March, a 20% reduction.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...--presto-mod22

Comment

Working...
                                X