Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Glyndebourne seems to be pulling out of CDs, and some of their remaining opera sets are now down to £2. For example, see https://www.glyndebourneshop.com/ope...s/britten.html

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Cheers.

Search under Prima La Musica.

I just bagged one
      Has it worked out well? I delayed and the price has now gone up. Are the recordings all mono - as I suspect?

If the performances are really good that doesn't necessarily matter too much.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Mine was delivered a few minutes ago. Very impressive presentation with one of the two Blu-ray discs being Audio only (hi-res stereo and surround) and Video, respectively.
        Indeed, but the price has now gone up substantially. I'm very pleased to have got this set.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Daftly cheap downloads of Karel Ančerl: Live Recordings with Czech Philharmonic at Presto. No booklet but 15 CDs for the price of a pint.

Karel Ančerl: Live Recordings. Supraphon: SU43082. Buy 15 CDs or download online. Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, Karel Ančerl

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            Daftly cheap downloads of Karel Ančerl: Live Recordings with Czech Philharmonic at Presto. No booklet but 15 CDs for the price of a pint.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...ive-recordings
            Surely a pricing error, though one I am loath to fail to take advantage of. I have opted not for the highest resolution but one down. That means four zips of close to 4GB each.

Ah, turns out the fourth 96/24 zip is a mere 143 MB though the other three are 3.7 GB each.

There are also a number of mistitled and/or misnumbered 'tracks'. They are easily identified and renamed to reflect their content, though.
            Last edited by Bryn; 05-11-22, 14:24. Reason: update

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Are the sounds of the higher res versions better than those on the samples? The samples don't sound very enticing, though as a way of getting to hear/know some unusual music this collection might be worthwhile.

Also - I have been an enthusiastic follower of Ancerl for many years. I didn't realise he was directly involved in the wartime holocaust - but sadly his wife and son perished.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                Are the sounds of the higher res versions better than those on the samples? The samples don't sound very enticing, though as a way of getting to hear/know some unusual music this collection might be worthwhile.

Also - I have been an enthusiastic follower of Ancerl for many years. I didn't realise he was directly involved in the wartime holocaust - but sadly his wife and son perished.
                The recordings are from old, mainly mono, radio broadcasts. You can't expect the most modern edited studio quality. As to the booklet, if you have a QOBUZ subscription, the pdf is available to download. Oh. and thought the QOBUZ downloads cost a lot more, they share the same 'track' misnumbering as the Presto.
                Last edited by Bryn; 05-11-22, 18:30. Reason: "mainly mono" added.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                  • Nov 2010

Well spotted! I've been swithering about buying the CDs so at £4.48 for the set as 24/192 downloads has to be one of the great download bargains of our time, up there with 7 Digital's BPO own label sets (and the LPO/Jurowski). I haven't heard them yet - the downloads are rather flaky - but I would imagine at, as the samples are likely to be MP3s, the hi-res versions cannot but sound better.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                    • Jan 2014

The booklet is also available on Naxos Music Library -
                    ( Label-> > Supraphon > ANČERL, Karel: Live Recordings (1953-1968) ).

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                      Well spotted! I've been swithering about buying the CDs so at £4.48 for the set as 24/192 downloads has to be one of the great download bargains of our time, up there with 7 Digital's BPO own label sets (and the LPO/Jurowski). I haven't heard them yet - the downloads are rather flaky - but I would imagine at, as the samples are likely to be MP3s, the hi-res versions cannot but sound better.
                      Only a very few are stereo. Audience noise can be intrusive but it's Ancerl with the CPO. Two 'tracks' need renumbering to get the playing order right. At it arrives, the Mozart Flute and Harp concerto gets interrupted by Dvorak's Scherzo capriccioso and Martinu's Symphony No. 1 has the third and fourth movements wrongly labeled as the fourth and fifth. There may be other errors I have yet to find.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Thanks gurn - 2/3 pint in our local!

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Only a very few are stereo. Audience noise can be intrusive but it's Ancerl with the CPO. Two 'tracks' need renumbering to get the playing order right. At it arrives, the Mozart Flute and Harp concerto gets interrupted by Dvorak's Scherzo capriccioso and Martinu's Symphony No. 1 has the third and fourth movements wrongly labeled as the fourth and fifth. There may be other errors I have yet to find.
                          Sounds to me that in spite of the problems you still value this one. I'll probably add it to my list.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                            Sounds to me that in spite of the problems you still value this one. I'll probably add it to my list.
                            Too early to make a full judgment but definitely "so far so good".

Comment

• mathias broucek
                              • Nov 2010

Too early to make a full judgment but definitely "so far so good".
                              It's worth buying just for Suk's Asrael and Ripening (stereo)

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                                It's worth buying just for Suk's Asrael and Ripening (stereo)
                                Novak’s Pan sounds good!

Comment

Working...
                                X