Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure whether it has been mentioned but this German site has some cheap music CDs and DVDs including for instance this Abbado/VPO Wozzeck DVD from Vienna 1987 (which is about £25 from Amazon):

http://www.zweitausendeins.de/filme/...-musik-01.html

The Zweitausendeins Edition Musik (under the Film tab) has quite a few cheap opera DVDs including the ENO Rusalka. Postage from Germany though is €9.50 per order I think so it would probably require a multiple purchase to save money.

I haven't used the site for ages, though, so I can't say what its service is like these days.

Comment

Sainsbury's have EMI's 'Holst - The Collector's Edition' (6CDs) for £12.99:

http://www.sainsburysentertainment.c...duct=E11094405
      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post

Contents here: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/sea...ectors+Edition
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Sainsbury's have EMI's 'Holst - The Collector's Edition' (6CDs) for £12.99:[/URL]

How on earth do you find out what Sinsbury's is selling? The only categories they have under 'music' are 'MP3 downloads' & 'CDs'. You'd have to plough through hundreds of rubbish CDs to find anything interesting.

I've just had another look, & it is possible to select 'classical' - unfortunately that still includes the likes of 'Now that's what I call clasical', Alfie Boe & so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
            How on earth do you find out what Sinsbury's is selling?
            I just look at what I'm interested in. So for this I simply put 'Holst' in the search box. You can then sort by price or release date. Sometimes you notice that a certain label/series is reduced and you can go from there.

Of course, I could be missing all kinds of bargains.
            Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

I did go through the first 100 'bestsellers' in the classical CDs. Charpentier's David & Jonathas (Christie) was there, £4 cheaper than Amazon. It was also good to see a Cage CD at no.97

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                How on earth do you find out what Sinsbury's is selling? The only categories they have under 'music' are 'MP3 downloads' & 'CDs'. You'd have to plough through hundreds of rubbish CDs to find anything interesting.

I've just had another look, & it is possible to select 'classical' - unfortunately that still includes the likes of 'Now that's what I call clasical', Alfie Boe & so on.
                "Now Thats what i call classical?" Brilliant. Why did nobody tell me before ?!

Anyway, back in proper bargain mode, just wanted to say that I was looking for a decent "Asrael" symphony recently. All of JLW's recommendations were proper money,£10 or more, but I picked up a used, Pesek/RLPO on amazon which cost £2.25 , and its in perfect condition.I shall try this avenue again .
                On the back of this have just ordered a DSCH Preludes and fugues(Papadopoulos) for the same money. Don't know what its like, but costs the same as parking in Swindon for an hour !!
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Thanks for that. Swift service resulted.
                  Timeline:
                  Your post - 13.09
                  My order confirmed - 14.01
                  Sainsbury's tell me "order has been posted" - 17.02

Comment

Not full albums, but Hyperion have started to make a monthly sampler available as a free download...

Formats available are MP3, FLAC and Apple Lossless.
                    Steve

Comment

Re - issue of Richard Hickox's excellent recordings of Bridge Orchestral Works on 6 Chandos CD's available from the River People at a good pre release price :-

Comment

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                        Re - issue of Richard Hickox's excellent recordings of Bridge Orchestral Works on 6 Chandos CD's available from the River People at a good pre release price :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bridge-Orche...0965375&sr=8-1
                        Thanks AmpH - ordered.
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

I was sent an email about box sets including this LSO live set of Sibelius - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002LTJ30...831_pe_epc_dp2

Seems a reasonable price, though one thing I wonder about LSO Live is if they're maintaining separate SACD and CD lines. As far as I can see the individual discs in the box are available as SACDs. Companies which do SACDs nowadays often don't seem to bother with separrate SACD and CD issues, presumably because it's not worth the hassle of having multiple discs (though we have noted elsewhere the additional costs due to copyright and performing rights issues), but I think that LSO Live are maybe keeping distinct CD/SACD lines.

Clearly the box is a cheaper option than buying the single CDs (or SACDs).

I'm perhaps not so interested in Sibelius by Davis, but if a box of his Nielsen appears I'll be very tempted.
                          Last edited by Dave2002; 30-06-12, 18:18.

Comment

Prokofiev symphonies cond. by Weller. Reissue of 70s Decca Kingsway Hall recording. Under a tenner...

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              I was sent an eamail about box sets including this LSO live set of Sibelius - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002LTJ30...831_pe_epc_dp2

Seems a reasonable price, though one thing I wonder about LSO Live is if they're maintaining separate SACD and CD lines. As far as I can see the individual discs in the box are available as SACDs. Companies which do SACDs nowadays often don't seem to bother with separrate SACD and CD issues, presumably because it's not worth the hassle of having multiple discs (though we have noted elsewhere the additional costs due to copyright and performing rights issues), but I think that LSO Live are maybe keeping distinct CD/SACD lines.

Clearly the box is a cheaper option than buying the single CDs (or SACDs).

I'm perhaps not so interested in Sibelius by Davis, but if a box of his Nielsen appears I'll be very tempted.
                              LSO Live certainly did have a double inventory but it seems they've given over generally to a single one now. A Nielsen box is likely to appear, but I was too impatient to wait for that, and at a pre-release price of £5.99 I didn't need much temptation.

The Holst box at £12.99 was a welcome bargain, too, as I wanted only three of the discs. Sainsbury's service is excellent, unlike another on-line retailer which has failed to deliver seven out of ten new releases in the past three months giving this information: "Unfortunately this item is currently out of stock with our suppliers, and as we are unable to be specific about when we will be in stock of this item again, we have decided to cancel your order." Ahem, the suppliers cannot be the label itself, or its UK distributor, as they did and do have stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                                Prokofiev symphonies cond. by Weller. Reissue of 70s Decca Kingsway Hall recording. Under a tenner...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seven-Sympho...1048529&sr=1-1
                                Strongly recommended!

Comment

Working...
                                X