X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    When you've had a good go at this set I'd be grateful for a review please Parry - mostly about how the 1970s recording of the Graf sounds really.

Many thanks in anticipation
    [from Amazon] Despite the claim passed on by J. Gibbons in his review of this set that the piano used was one made in 1839 by Conrad Graf in Vienna, that is not true. The Graf piano was one owned by Robert Schumann himself and was used by Demus to record Schumann piano music in the 1970s but that is a completely different recording. The piano used on this set sounds to be a rich, ripe modern Bosendorfer, rather than a Steinway, which is why it sounds so different. But an 1839 Graf fortepiano it is not.

I've got the set as well - and would tend to agree that it doesn't sound like a Graf. Despite the so-so recording quality the Demus interpretations are among my favourites.
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
      [from Amazon] Despite the claim passed on by J. Gibbons in his review of this set that the piano used was one made in 1839 by Conrad Graf in Vienna, that is not true. The Graf piano was one owned by Robert Schumann himself and was used by Demus to record Schumann piano music in the 1970s but that is a completely different recording. The piano used on this set sounds to be a rich, ripe modern Bosendorfer, rather than a Steinway, which is why it sounds so different. But an 1839 Graf fortepiano it is not.

I've got the set as well - and would tend to agree that it doesn't sound like a Graf. Despite the so-so recording quality the Demus interpretations are among my favourites.
      Cheers Pianorak - very useful

So there are two Demus/Schumann sets? - this one on a Bosendorfer abnd another one on a Graf? I shall start searching
      Last edited by Guest; 06-07-12, 13:11. Reason: capital P

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

When you've had a good go at this set I'd be grateful for a review please Parry - mostly about how the 1970s recording of the Graf sounds really.

Many thanks in anticipation
        I hear no Graf instruments in that set. To my ears the very variable quality recordings mostly sound like they are of fairly modern Bösendorfers. Some tacks in my set are pretty much unplayable. Other are fair to middling in audio quality.

[Bit slow on catching up with recent posts there. I would add, however, that I don't know of another full survey of Schumann's piano works, on a Graf, only a few items issued on LP. Funnily enough, I went up into the loft this morning to double check that I did not still have the OUP LP of Walton's Facade 1 &2 (Berberian, Tear et al) and came across the HM double LP set of Schubert works for piano four hands (Demus and PB-S on mid 19th century instruments by JB Streicher and JM Schweighofer). The recording publication date is given as 1962.]
        Last edited by Bryn; 06-07-12, 13:30.

Comment

• hafod
          • Nov 2010

Rachmaninov, Complete Works, Brilliant Classics, 31cds, €18. (Have only bought from an FNAC shop, never on-line, so know nothing about the quality of their service).

Also, Bohm's VPO Brahms symphony cycle for€4.99.

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by hafod View Post
            Have only bought from an FNAC shop, never on-line, so know nothing about the quality of their service.
            I have bought from FNAC on-line and have found their service to be excellent.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

MDT's clearance sale list is well worth checking out, especially for anyone interested in 'talking books' of works by Samuel Beckett or an admittedly abridged but well done presentation of Joyce's Finnegans Wake. Oh, and there's Flann O'Brien's Third Policeman (complete), too. All at true bargain prices.

Comment

• akiralx
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                Also, Bohm's VPO Brahms symphony cycle for€4.99.

http://musique.fnac.com/a1368752/Joh...n=zanox1440681
                The Second Symphony from the VPO set is my favourite for that work.

Comment

• hafod
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
                  I have bought from FNAC on-line and have found their service to be excellent.
                  Thank you for that.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    I hear no Graf instruments in that set. To my ears the very variable quality recordings mostly sound like they are of fairly modern Bösendorfers. Some tacks in my set are pretty much unplayable. Other are fair to middling in audio quality.

[Bit slow on catching up with recent posts there. I would add, however, that I don't know of another full survey of Schumann's piano works, on a Graf, only a few items issued on LP. Funnily enough, I went up into the loft this morning to double check that I did not still have the OUP LP of Walton's Facade 1 &2 (Berberian, Tear et al) and came across the HM double LP set of Schubert works for piano four hands (Demus and PB-S on mid 19th century instruments by JB Streicher and JM Schweighofer). The recording publication date is given as 1962.]
                    Cheers Bryn!

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Oh joy of joys. I opened the back cover of the latest issue of IRR to find an advertisement for some new (forthcoming?) releases on the Eloquence label. The first item shown is the Archiv recording of Diabelli variations as played by Jörg Demus on Graf and Broadwood fortepianos. Something very much to look forward to spinning, once it appears in the UK.

The catalogue number is given as DG 480 3303 (2 CDs).

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Oh joy of joys. I opened the back cover of the latest issue of IRR to find an advertisement for some new (forthcoming?) releases on the Eloquence label. The first item shown is the Archiv recording of Diabelli variations as played by Jörg Demus on Graf and Broadwood fortepianos. Something very much to look forward to spinning, once it appears in the UK.

The catalogue number is given as DG 480 3303 (2 CDs).

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...emus#post51398
                        You obviously put the thought in their mind, Bryn

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Indeed a stupendous bargain at £15.99 I was just coming to post the same !

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                            Indeed a stupendous bargain at £15.99 I was just coming to post the same !

https://www.sainsburysentertainment....duct=E11106972
                            Has anyone seen what the contents are yet?

Comment

• Parry1912
                              • Nov 2010

Has anyone seen what the contents are yet?
                              Sadly no. Same as with the forthcoming Walton box. Would it really be so hard for EMI to put some info on their website?
                              Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Working...
                              X