X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
    YOU got an eVoucher, I've got nothing at all.
    Originally posted by Roehre View Post
    This is Sainsbury's reply to my complaint
    Gest ti dy synnu?
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
      Gest ti dy synnu?
      Peidiwch a son. Camgymeriad mawr [yn costio dau punt ac hanner]

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
        Gest ti dy synnu?
        Meaning?

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
          And my reply

Dear Mr McAteer

That’s pretty hopeless, isn’t it? Are your packing staff unable to read perhaps? Surely it’s obvious that a CD set saying “I Puritani on the front is not “Le Nozze Di Figaro/Don Giovanni/Cosi (Bbcso, Davis)”. I keep hearing that educational standards have slipped and that no one listens to classical music these days, but it’s hardly rocket science to be able to put the right CD in the right packet. And it seems that this has happened many times over to many customers with this particular product.

And now you want ME to rectify YOUR error by spending time on your website and then going to the post box? Am very unimpressed.....

I won’t be giving you my mobile number as you request because I don’t trust your organisation to look after it properly!
          I rather agree with Cloughie. THe shelf-pick is probably done automatically (ie by machine), & the packing could very well be done by machine as well. Even if it's done by people, I doubt they will see the original order - just the delivery note that will be printed from the barcode (check what came with your order - did it list the Mozart or the Bellini?). Sainsbury's have apologised & given a very reasonable explanation & a voucher.

I was going to say that I'd rather have the Bellini, but I've just checked & I've already got it - £4.50 from a charity shop, according to the price label)

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
            From Wikipedia -

Informal term meaning "worldwide". Region 0 is not an official setting; discs that bear the region 0 symbol either have no flag set or have regions 1–6 flags set. Region 0 is commonly referred to as "Region Free", especially when talking about DVD and Blu-ray players.

(apologies if someone else has pposted this information)
            I haven't noticed anyone else commenting on those. The point I was trying to make is that the DVDs are flagged as NTSC. Most players will cope, but some may prefer to have PAL. Not sure what frame rate is used either. There are some odd issues with DVDs I believe, depending on the source material, and also whether the frame rates of the destination countries are 25/50/100 or 30/60/120 - the second and third figures being the double and quadruple frame rate. If the source material was film it may have been at 24 fps which causes some "interesting" effects. For PAL the frame rate is sometimes simply raised to 25 fps, and the pitch of the soundtrack rises slightly using UK players. The film will be slightly shortened in time by this approach. This doesn't work with players for the US market. Most modern DVD players should attempt to play the video material, but how they handle the standards conversion, and how well .... it depends!

Remember also that NTSC stands for Never Twice the Same Colour (well, not really ...!)

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Oh golly - far too technical for me. I feel the temptation diminishing. Just as well, given the precarious nature of my bank balance

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Were you tempted? Don't let me put you off if there was something you really fancied. I was just pointing out a possible incompatibility (more likely a possible slight loss of quality) if buying NTSC DVDs to play in standard kit in the UK.
                Last edited by Dave2002; 24-07-12, 05:28.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Should I keep one of the I Puritani discs when/if it arrives? Is that a good thing to have? I do know the Davis Mozart operas, which are very good, and if they had been available as advertised would have represented a good bargain/Christmas present. Still waiting to see what happens. I'm not so fond of Callas either, but if the price is right it could be worth keeping one set.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    Should I keep one of the I Puritani discs when/if it arrives? Is that a good thing to have? I do know the Davis Mozart operas, which are very good, and if they had been available as advertised would have represented a good bargain/Christmas present. Still waiting to see what happens. I'm not so fond of Callas either, but if the price is right it could be worth keeping one set.
                    I have returned mine. Got that recording longer ago than I care to remember (heritage from a Callas-adoring ex-girlfriend)

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

Were you tempted? Don't let me put you off if there was something you really fancied. I was just pointing out a possible incompatibility (more likely a possible slight loss of quality) if buying NSTC DVDs to play in standard kit in the UK.

Well, the Amsterdam Ring was well-spoken of, if I remember rightly - except there's only Rheingold & Walkure available. Samson et Dalila and Mozart in Turkey would be worth £6, especially as I was in Istanbul in April & visited the Topkapi Palace.

Comment

• Pianorak
                        • Nov 2010

Should I keep one of the I Puritani discs when/if it arrives? Is that a good thing to have? . . .
                        I would, but only if you like Bellini.
                        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                          Well, the Amsterdam Ring was well-spoken of, if I remember rightly - except there's only Rheingold & Walkure available. Samson et Dalila and Mozart in Turkey would be worth £6, especially as I was in Istanbul in April & visited the Topkapi Palace.
                          The Mozart in Turkey DVD is listed as being in PAL format, as are a few others, such as Bernstein's Trouble in Tahiti. Jurowski's Die Fledermaus is very good, though I've only seen it in hi res formats, and here it's in NTSC. The cheaper ones may well be fine - a small outlay which could be written off if not quite right, but I just didn't want people rushing to spend a fortune (e.g £50 plus for the Ring) and then discovering a quality or compatibility problem.

Curiously some of the DVDs are listed as NTSC and PAL. I'm not quite sure what that means, or if it ia possible to have a DVD in both formats.

Comment

• amateur51

On 23 July I sent this e-message to Sainsbury's re the BBCSO/Davis Mozart operas order:

"I've been told by several friends who placed the same order that they have received Bellini 'I Puritani' CDs in error.

Please could you check carefully that you are sending me what I have ordered as per order below.

Many thanks

Best wishes"

Today I have received this encouraging e-message:

"Thank you for your email about your order.

We work hard to provide excellent service for all our customers. I have checked your account and can confirm that you are being sent Le Nozze Di Figaro/Don Giovanni/Cosi (Bbcso, Davis).

If you need more information, please email or call us on 0800 328 1700 where one of my colleagues will be happy to help.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and we look forward to seeing you online shortly.

Yours sincerely

Cathal Magee
                            Sainsbury's Entertainmen

So ... who knows?

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

I've just opened 2 packages, each containing I Puritani. At least one will be sent back, when I find out how to.

Comment

• Pianorak
                                • Nov 2010

I've just opened 2 packages, each containing I Puritani. At least one will be sent back, when I find out how to.
                                Dead easy. Log in - My Account - Order History - click Item and follow the Return instructions. You'll receive an email with a Freepost label which you'll have to print off.

Best not to make a fuss - you may forgo your £2.50 eVoucher which they are likely to offer you.
                                Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X