Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hafod View Post
    So has mine. Should keep me quiet for the rest of the summer - well maybe not completely quiet as I don't listen on headphones.

Mrs h was appalled at the size of the box demanding to know where I was going to keep it. I told her to be grateful that it was not 100 jewel cases.
    I'm pleased that you got yours too, hafod - many thanks again for the original tip-off

Comment

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
      Available for silly money no more, sadly
      Having railed (quietly) against too cheap great music, may I now rail loudly against extortionate 500% price increases??

Hope the Riverpeople aren't monitoring this thread in order to spot their own pricing mistakes!
      Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 31-07-12, 21:34. Reason: Spellink!
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        I'm pleased that you got yours too, hafod - many thanks again for the original tip-off
        Would perhaps still be of interest to know what was/is in that box, and whether it might still be worth having even at (say) 4 times what you guys paid for it. I doubt that it could be worth the price charged by some suppliers, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Would perhaps still be of interest to know what was/is in that box, and whether it might still be worth having even at (say) 4 times what you guys paid for it. I doubt that it could be worth the price charged by some suppliers, though.
          Contents list for first 94 cds at #1486 on this thread. Remaining 6 discs as follows:

CD 95
          Berg Violin Concerto
          Schonberg Piano Concerto
          Webern - Variations for Piano

CD96
          Louis Spohr - Violin Concerto
          Johann Christoph Vogel - Premiere Symphonie Concertante

CD97
          Delius - Piano Concerto
          Elgar - Introduction and Allegro Op. 47
          Britten - Four interludes from Peter Grimes

CD98
          Fritz Kriesler - Violin Concerto
          Beethoven - 2 Variations on Bei Mannern..from Die Zauberflote (Mozart)
          Mozart - Serenade no 13

CD99
          Bizet / Franz Waxman - Carmen Fantasy
          Dukas - Sorcerors Apprentice
          Berlioz- Overture to Benvenuto Cellini, Le Corsaire
          Hungarian March from the Damnation of Faust

CD100
          Glazunov- Violin Concerto
          Borodin -Steppes of Central Asia, Polovtsian Dances from Prince Igor
          Mussorgsky - Night on Bare Mountain
          Gliere - Sailors Dance from the Red Poppy
          Khatchaturian - Sabre Dance

There is some ambiguity about certain of the dates as there are question marks against them in the booklet. As to whether it is worth 4x what I paid it is too early to say as I have barely even sampled and wont be able to for a while. But be aware that the price dropped again to the very low price for a few hours early yesterday before shooting back up again. Best price tonight is 53.16€ + 6€ delivery (about £48) from an Am.de marketplace seller. Thats just £19 more than I paid. Am.de itself has it for 56.41€ + 7€ delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            Thank you - my pleasure.

Comment

Has my Amazon account been hacked?

I went on to the Amazon.es site last night to order the Brodsky Shostakovich, and the 15 CD Secret Labyrinth set recently suggested. When I got to the checkout stage I noted an unknown possible recipient. One was me, one my brother, and one was A.N.Other. AFAIK this only has happend on the Spanish site. I tried to see if I could delete recipients, but couln't find a way.

Should I be worried about this, or is it just a computer glitch? Will the Amazon UK people be able to sort this if I email them. I don't think my Spanish is up to ezplaining the problem direct to the Spanish site.

I did order anyway, but it is worrying that apparently someone else is associated as a possible recipient on my account on the Spanish site.

Comment

Some Amazon mp3 bargains of recent EMI re-releases:

Strauss - Daphne (Haitink) for £3.99

Purcell - The Fairy Queen (Norrington) for £3.99

Samson and Delila (Chung) for £3.99

Fidelio (Klemperer) for £3.99

Bartok Concertos (Rattle) 4 CDs for £4.39

Also look out for Klemperer's Zauberflote, Rudel's Mefistofele and Adrian Boult's Pilgrim's Progress for £3.99.

Incredible value if you aren't too worried about the weight of a jewel box in your hand.

Comment

Dave,
                  You can delete that rogue address by clicking on 'Gestionar agenda de direcciones' in 'Configuración', use the 'eliminar' button. I suspect that the rogue address is Ok,especially if you recognise it, but check with amazon. If your spanish is iffy contact amazon uk.
                  Peter.

Comment

Peter

My issue is particularly that I have no knowledge of the person at all.

Comment

Is this version of Hindemith's symphony worth having? http://www.selections.com/AL064/hind...ony-in-e-flat/ Also, is the recording on the Everest label of any interest in itself, as a recording?

Note that you can also search for other recordings on this label by putting "Everest" in the search box.

Selections continues to have their usual clearance and best sellers, such as the 4 CD set of Prokofiev symphnies conducted by Weller. They also have Mutter/Masur NYPO in Beethoven's violin concerto at a reasonable, though not ultra cheap, price. I don't know if that is good, but on the basis of a blind hearing of their version of Brahms violin concerto, which has a very beautiful rendition of the slow movement, I did buy their Brahms concerto recording.

Comment

Most definitely. A very fine performance in great sound. Short playing time but at the price it's still a great bargain. Harry Belock and Bert Whyte's use of 35mm magnetic fim produced some still-impressive recordings, including some classics (Stokowski's Francesca da Rimini) and others well worth having. If I didn't already have the Copland 3rd, Prokofiev's Chout, Peter Katin's Schumann, Steinberg's Brahms 4th and Rudolf Schwarz's Mahler 5th, I'd be bunging in an order forthwith. The re-appearances of Everest recordings tend to be short-lived (there were some reissues in the 1990s) so I wouldn't hesitate.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                          Most definitely. A very fine performance in great sound. Short playing time but at the price it's still a great bargain. Harry Belock and Bert Whyte's use of 35mm magnetic fim produced some still-impressive recordings, including some classics (Stokowski's Francesca da Rimini) and others well worth having. If I didn't already have the Copland 3rd, Prokofiev's Chout, Peter Katin's Schumann, Steinberg's Brahms 4th and Rudolf Schwarz's Mahler 5th, I'd be bunging in an order forthwith. The re-appearances of Everest recordings tend to be short-lived (there were some reissues in the 1990s) so I wouldn't hesitate.
                          There was also an excellent Stoki Till and Don Juan. Nice to get Everest recodings, even if on limited availability - other labels have disappeared without trace eg Command Classics which appeared on Pye LPs in the sixties with a selection of PittsburghSO/Steinberg recordings. Whoever owns these should CD them.

Comment

Order placed - including Mutter's Beethoven, though I may end up with some duplicates, but can't check right now. I know I had some Everest recordings before. The Barbirolli CD (Ravel) could be worth having, also Boult's Shostakovich 6th. Not sure about Schwarz's Mahler, but on your recommendations ... it's only £1.99.

Comment

When will I learn to leave "Bargains" alone? Answers on a postcard!

1 x AJ402 > CHOPIN 24 Preludes Op28 @ �1.99 each. Subtotal: �1.99
                              1 x AB093 > SCHUMANN C'te Concertos 2CDs @ �2.99 each. Subtotal: �2.99
                              1 x DVD3085 > MOZART Don Giovanni @ �2.99 each. Subtotal: �2.99
                              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Working...
                              X