Clear All

Originally posted by hafod View Post
    http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/ca...UCT_NR=4790014

CD 20 - scroll about two-thirds down.
    My mistake, hafod - many thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      My mistake, hafod - many thanks!
      I wasn't trying to correct you. The set was called the complete solo piano recordings and having posted the Presto link which I believed contained the complete listing I thought that you may have caught the compilers out. I therefore looked to see if there was a more detailed listing and eventually found one. I never cease to be amazed at the encyclopeadic knowledge (and memory) of contributors to these boards.

Comment

I wasn't trying to correct you. The set was called the complete solo piano recordings and having posted the Presto link which I believed contained the complete listing I thought that you may have caught the compilers out. I therefore looked to see if there was a more detailed listing and eventually found one. I never cease to be amazed at the encyclopeadic knowledge (and memory) of contributors to these boards.
        I think that Kempff's earlier recording of Liszt's Legende no 2 is a truly gobsmacking performance of a piece where the virtuosi rarely avoid going well over the top. Kempff manages to create an astonishing aural drama of waves and fear and footsteps and belief and final conquering of the waves in a truly amazing performance, imho.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
          Oh and this too

As a committed Mercury-phobe (apart from the astonishing Dorati/LSO Firebird etc), I won't be buying it but Rob C will no doubt be ecstatic
          Details are here - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/M...esence/4783566

Doesn't seem so compelling as the Decca Sound box.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Details are here - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/M...esence/4783566

Doesn't seem so compelling as the Decca Sound box.
            I have the same problem with both - too many of them already on the heaving shelves!

Comment

It seems to be the season for 'big boxes'. How about this one of Wilhelm Kempff solo piano music?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wilhelm-Kemp...d=AZFAVK42ANC5
              It's released on my birthday - just in case someone's feeling generous.

Honestly these big bargain boxes just keep coming. Amazing value compared to the LP days.
              Steve

Comment

I have about 80 Mercuries, which will probably include all the ones in the new bargain box. I also have a dozen or so which were listed, but not yet found,I hope they'll turn up secondhand eventually, and it's fun searching!

Comment

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                  I have about 80 Mercuries, which will probably include all the ones in the new bargain box. I also have a dozen or so which were listed, but not yet found,I hope they'll turn up secondhand eventually, and it's fun searching!
                  Ferret

Are they worth having though? My impression is that the Mercury box is not as interesting as the Decca box? I don't think I've got so many of that set already as I had in the Decca box, but in that case I decided it was worth it for the things I didn't already have. Not sure that this applies (for me) for the Mercury set. I do have versions of many of the pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    Ferret

Are they worth having though? My impression is that the Mercury box is not as interesting as the Decca box? I don't think I've got so many of that set already as I had in the Decca box, but in that case I decided it was worth it for the things I didn't already have. Not sure that this applies (for me) for the Mercury set. I do have versions of many of the pieces.
                    Not preempting Ferret's response or right to reply I would say a definite yes - the Paray, Dorati and Fennel issues alone make them worth having - interesting performances, mostly with excellent recordings.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      Not preempting Ferret's response or right to reply I would say a definite yes - the Paray, Dorati and Fennel issues alone make them worth having - interesting performances, mostly with excellent recordings.
                      cloughie,
                      I agree with you about all the Hanson, Dorati and Paray recordings, although there are some omissions that I find puzzling, the Dorati /LSO Dvorak 7 & 8 for example. That recording was made originally for Pye, so perhaps there are contractual problems. Paray's Schumann Symphonies aren't there either, or the Szeryng performance of the Schumann Violin Concerto.
                      The Rachmaninov Concertos with Byron Janis are superb.

I'll buy the set to get Dorati's Nutcracker, although the Delibes ballets are not included, and I've always been intrigued by Hanson's American Civil War music and sounds. The technical side of Mercury is fascinating, some of the best early stereo on offer. There are, of course, some impossibly close balances by modern standards, but this was ground breaking quality at the time

Comment

I have a fair few Mercury CD transfers (mainly Bartok) but not so many as to put me off buying at MDT's price of £79.00 including 2nd Class p&p. Anyone seen a lower price?

Comment

Am tempted by Mercury, not least for Mr Fennell (I've done some wind band conducting and this guy is VERY special). But it's a lot of ££££....

Comment

In HMV yesterday Muti's box set of Cherubini Masses for £12. On their web site it's double that. Amazon have it for £14.90 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masses-Overt...6898067&sr=1-1 - but if you're near an HMV store it could be worth checking.

Comment

I am not a downloader but I have just received an email from Amazon.com notifying the following which seem to me to represent good value (some IIRC may have been mentioned here before):

Sibelius: The Complete Symphonies - Karelia/Lemminkäinen/Violin Concerto [MP3 Download] by Lahti Symphony Orchestra and Osmo Vänskä Price: $7.99

Tchaikovsky: The Symphonies and Orchestral Works [MP3 Download] by Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra and Neeme Järvi Price: $7.99

Bruckner: The Great Symphonies [MP3 Download] by State Symphony Capella of Russia and Gennady Rozhdestvensky Price: $5.00

Glazunov: The Complete Symphonies [MP3 Download] by BBC National Orchestra of Wales and Tadaaki Otaka Price: $6.99

Glazunov: The Complete Symphony Collection [MP3 Download] by Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra Vladimir Fedoseyev Price: $5.00

Beethoven: The Complete Symphony Collection [MP3 Download] by The London Symphony Orchestra Josef Krips Price: $5.99

Comment

Is this the greatest bargain ever? - €0.01 for a Bach complete organ works (for the last week it has been offered at €19.99) although how one pays 'one hundeth of a euro' I am not sure.

Die CD Johann Sebastian Bach: Orgelwerke (Ges.-Aufn.) jetzt probehören und portofrei kaufen. Mehr von Johann Sebastian Bach gibt es im Shop.

Comment

Working...
                                X