Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
    I must say this afternoon's listening to Kna's Decca 1954 recording (in the Testament CD incarnation) gave much pleasure, so much that I readily forgive the edition used. Having listened after the Blomstedt as an SACD with surround sound, I was thoroughly impressed by the very fine mono Decca recording. And, as you say, the Vienna Philharmonic doesn't sound anything like that these days.
    I will give that a spin now (I also have the Testament CD). I played it a couple of days ago and maybe because I had got accustomed to more modern recordings and performances, listened to back to back in a short space of time, I found it slightly dull (compared to Haitink VPO and Sinopoli Dresden, for example).

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      I recommend at least a listen to this morning's broadcast on the i-Player, Bbm; it turned this sceptic into a true believer - no easy task!

And best wishes for the New Year, by the way - with particular hopes that the first three months pass much more smoothly than you've been thinking they might
      Oh I did listen to the broadcast, Ferney, hence my view on the matter. didn't really gel with me, I'm afraid. Will have a go at the Blomstedt, though.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
        ............. Will have a go at the Blomstedt, though.
        Maybe you, ferney and I could crowd-fund this expensive CD and make Hi-Res copies for one-another. Or is that illegal?

Comment

Oh I did listen to the broadcast, Ferney, hence my view on the matter. didn't really gel with me, I'm afraid. Will have a go at the Blomstedt, though.
          Do you mean "Tennstedt" here, Bbm? (It was the Blomstedt broadcast this morning.)

Oh! Just to clarify - I was talking about the broadcast on Sunday (New Year's Day) morning's Sunday Morning with Jonathan Swain, which was (almost entirely) devoted to the Blomstedt performance (not the BaL on Saturday morning.)
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

For fellow forum 'Bruckner trainspotters' (Jonathan Swain ) there is a live recording of the 1873 Third by (supposedly) Blomstedt and the Deutsches Symphonie Orchester Berlin on You Tube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I haven't listened to it right through yet but the opening is slower than the 2010 Leipzig. To further add to the traditional and now almost mandatory Bruckner mystery and confusion a Norrington/South West German Radio Symphony Orchestra account of the scherzo is also credited by the contributor.

In the comments below the music at least one person has his doubts that this is Blomstedt and I'm fairly confident it has absolutely nothing to do with Norrington!

To demonstrate my complete political impartiality when it comes to music I still have a huge soft spot for Rozhdestvensky & Reds in the 1873 version which is included in their full Bruckner symphonic cycle, also available on You Tube.

Wonderfully raw and savage, none of this 'devout' nonsense!

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
              Maybe you, ferney and I could crowd-fund this expensive CD and make Hi-Res copies for one-another. Or is that illegal?
              Obviously it is illegal to do that without some kind of licence, but permission can sometimes be obtained, as with Presto CDs and ArchivMusic CDS.

Comment

Listened to it this morning - very fine performance but good heavens I had forgotten how long the 1873 version is it seemed to go on for ever .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  Listened to it this morning - very fine performance but good heavens I had forgotten how long the 1873 version is it seemed to go on for ever .
                  Really? One of the things that struck me yesterday morning was how soon the ending seemed to arrive - I was astonished that the best part of an hour had elapsed.

Comment

Do you mean "Tennstedt" here, Bbm? (It was the Blomstedt broadcast this morning.)

Oh! Just to clarify - I was talking about the broadcast on Sunday (New Year's Day) morning's Sunday Morning with Jonathan Swain, which was (almost entirely) devoted to the Blomstedt performance (not the BaL on Saturday morning.)
                    No, Ferney, was meaning the Blomstedt, chap!
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

No, Ferney, was meaning the Blomstedt, chap!
                      I'm lost, Bbm - you'll "have a go at Blomstedt", even though you heard the broadcast of it and it didn't "gel" with you?

Comment

I'm lost, Bbm - you'll "have a go at Blomstedt", even though you heard the broadcast of it and it didn't "gel" with you?
                        Ah, meant to say, will have have another go at the Blomstedt.
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                          For fellow forum 'Bruckner trainspotters' (Jonathan Swain ) there is a live recording of the 1873 Third by (supposedly) Blomstedt and the Deutsches Symphonie Orchester Berlin on You Tube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I haven't listened to it right through yet but the opening is slower than the 2010 Leipzig. To further add to the traditional and now almost mandatory Bruckner mystery and confusion a Norrington/South West German Radio Symphony Orchestra account of the scherzo is also credited by the contributor.

In the comments below the music at least one person has his doubts that this is Blomstedt and I'm fairly confident it has absolutely nothing to do with Norrington!

To demonstrate my complete political impartiality when it comes to music I still have a huge soft spot for Rozhdestvensky & Reds in the 1873 version which is included in their full Bruckner symphonic cycle, also available on You Tube.

Wonderfully raw and savage, none of this 'devout' nonsense!
                          Thanks Scotty, listening now.

Regarding Rozhdestvensky, I have the Moscow Radio & TV Symphony Orchestra in Bruckner 3. That’s not the one you mean though, is it?

Comment

Ah, meant to say, will have have another go at the Blomstedt.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                              Thanks Scotty, listening now.
                              Update: Just finished. Utterly remarkable. Was that Blomstedt? Do we know?

Comment

This has been a fascinating thread to read with the mighty of the forum eating humble pie and changing their minds in the nicest possible way. Even TS, perhaps the least appreciated R3 presenter on the forum with the possible exception of KD, making a fine job of a challenging BAL. What a great performance and the 1873 should be the default version. I've had the Tintner for many years and was underwhelmed by that reading, earnest though it is and realising now lacking the sheen and expertise the Leipzig players bring. A pity the BBC couldn't have signaled to suppliers what the winning version would be and then the CD would be flying off the shelves to everyone's benefit.

Comment

Working...
                                X