Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
    They seem to have largely got rid of the hooliganism at classical concerts these days .. or maybe I go to the wrong ones.
    It was surely the general adoption of all-seater stadiums that did that. In the lower divisions, the standing areas of the Proms can still get a bit rough. Particularly when there's a Panic...
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
      It was surely the general adoption of all-seater stadiums that did that. In the lower divisions, the standing areas of the Proms can still get a bit rough. Particularly when there's a Panic...
      If only Karlheinz's Prommung had commanded audiences' attention...

Comment

They seem to have largely got rid of the hooliganism at classical concerts these days .. or maybe I go to the wrong ones.
        well not violence on an epic scale, but you'd get a long ban for similar at the footy.
        What punishment for the narcissist who leapt on the Royal Festival Hall stage to take a selfie during Dvořák’s New World symphony? If only life were like the Simpsons...

( and since we are on the subject, the Brahms that night won't be long remembered, certainly not by me.......)
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

You've never been near the door of the bar at the start of the Interval at a concert in the Winter Gardens at Eastbourne, I take it? (Vicious, it is; vicious! The teenagers daren't venture out alone after dark!)
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            You've never been near the door of the bar at the start of the Interval at a concert in the Winter Gardens at Eastbourne, I take it? (Vicious, it is; vicious! The teenagers daren't venture out alone after dark!)
            Do you suppose that this was part of the inspiration for La Mer?

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Me too - and no coincidence that the Royal Albert Hall is a favourite venue of mine for both composers (and not many others).
              I haven’t given much thought to venue. But I might agree with you. As you would expect, my Bruckner and Sibelius concerts have been pretty much evenly spread across The Barbican, RFH and RAH.

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                ... I hear concerts with music by Arthur 'Two Shed Ends' Jackson can get a bit tasty too.

Comment

Currently listening to this on YouTube .....

Comment

Bruckner
                    Symphony No. 3 (Nowak version 1877)
                    Staatskapelle Dresden/Giuseppe Sinopoli
                    Recorded 1990 Lukaskirche, Dresden
                    Deutsche Grammophon

Comment

Listening to the BaL winner now ........

Comment

Tangentially, Beef, the 1872 2nd in that same Blomstedt series, again fresh, crisp and uptempo, is probably even better! Don't miss it....

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                          Tangentially, Beef, the 1872 2nd in that same Blomstedt series, again fresh, crisp and uptempo, is probably even better! Don't miss it....
                          Thanks Jayne - coincidentally, Symphony #2 is going to be my next Bruckner port of call (for extensive consideration).

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                            Thanks Jayne - coincidentally, Symphony #2 is going to be my next Bruckner port of call (for extensive consideration).
                            Not to drag this excellent thread too far off course - well maybe it's just the Bruckner thread now - I've been listening to the Venzago 2/1877 this week and I just can't move on from it - it's both beautiful and revelatory, even more so than when it appeared. It's rubato-rich in interpretative interest but almost unique in performance style. And what a wonderfully pure tone from the principal horn. I always felt earlier, quicker recordings of the various revisions (e.g. Jochum/Dresden) tried too hard to align it with the later, larger-scale, more dramatic Bruckner, whereas the 2nd is unique in its largely gentle lyrical, pastoral serenity... I feel we had to wait till Tintner really , to get at the truth of it.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                              Not to drag this excellent thread too far off course - well maybe it's just the Bruckner thread now - I've been listening to the Venzago 2/1877 this week and I just can't move on from it - it's both beautiful and revelatory, even more so than when it appeared. It's rubato-rich in interpretative interest but almost unique in performance style. And what a wonderfully pure tone from the principal horn. I always felt earlier, quicker recordings of the various revisions (e.g. Jochum/Dresden) tried too hard to align it with the later, larger-scale, more dramatic Bruckner, whereas the 2nd is unique in its largely gentle lyrical, pastoral serenity... I feel we had to wait till Tintner really , to get at the truth of it.
                              Yes, Tintner was a game changer, I remember buying it as soon as it came out. RB was talking positively about Venzago’s early Bruckner symphonies quite a while back and I know you’ve been extolling Venzago’s virtues, loud and long. I have Venzago’s 2/1877 on download from Qobuz and I look forward to closely comparing it to my beloved Tintner, Karajan, Stein and Giulini.

Years back, before I understood the artistic enormity of B3, it was #2 that was my favourite early symphony. So it will be a sort of home-coming for me!

Comment

About to spin the 3rd of May 1960 performance by the Orchester des Nationaltheaters Mannheim conducted by Paul Hindemith. The edition is not credited on the paperwork for this CD but it appears to be 1889 ed. Nowak. [Hmm, on second thoughts, more like the 1890 version. A bit scrappy but worth hearing what Hindemith made of it.]
                                Last edited by Bryn; 16-01-17, 15:04. Reason: Update.

Comment

Working...
                                X