Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    Ans = Bruckner would have loved it! I can just see him now, rushing up to Maestro Marthe with a tray of steaming hot doughnuts!

Very likely!

(know what some here could well have suggested he might do with the tray of doughnuts, though ... )

Comment

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post

Very likely!

(know what some here could well have suggested he might do with the tray of doughnuts, though ... )
      Marthe's version is not an edition of Bruckner 3 but a conflation of his favourites of each edition with touched up scoring Stokowski's Bach transcriptions were more faithful .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        Marthe's version is not an edition of Bruckner 3 but a conflation of his favourites of each edition with touched up scoring Stokowski's Bach transcriptions were more faithful .
        Ah, like the Haas version of the 8th, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          John F. Berky lists it as an edition on bruckner.com (as recommended by Jayne). Perhaps you know better!

(good that Marthe took his favourite bits - could’ve been dire otherwise!).

But how could you know what his ‘favourites’ are in the first place? And even if you did know, how would you know he’s conflated them, given that you have not listened to this performance?

You are in good company - Jayne and ahinton tell us they have not listened to it either. For this sort of prejudice and bigotry to arise in a thread about available recordings of Bruckner 3, really surprises me.

Last edited by Beef Oven!; 27-12-16, 00:24.

Comment

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post

Very likely!

It’s Bruckner 3 Scotty/Jim, but not as we know it.

Comment

I’ve been listening to Bruckner 3 quite a lot since the notice of this BaL. And I’m really looking forward to the broadcast - I do hope it doesn’t disappoint.

I’m going to raise my head above the parapet and say that I do not expect to add a recording to my existing collection of 19 CDs and 2 downloads of this symphony. Except, I’m tempted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin's latest Staatskapelle Dresdener release. I have his Canadian Orchestre Métropolitain disc, which I really like very much. I am also rather partial to Yannick, due to enjoying an amazing Christus Factus Est/Symphony 9/Te Deum (no break) a few years back in London and had the privilege of a short, but satisfying after concert chat with this warm, charming, amazingly talented professional.

The reason why I don’t think I’ll be adding a new recording is because the following four are top of the pops for me:

(Random order)

Rémy Ballot - Altomonte Orchester St. Florian. Gramola SACD. 89 minutes, single disc! (1873 Original Version Ed. Leopold Nowak [1977]) Getting most enjoyment out of this recording

Georg Tintner - Royal Scottish National Orchestra. Naxos CD (1873 Original Version Ed. Leopold Nowak [1977]) Personal favourite

Riccardo Chailly - Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra. Decca CD (1889 Version (aka 1888/89) Ed. Leopold Nowak [1959]) If pushed, I’d recommend this to a newcomer to this symphony

Herbert Von Karajan - Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. Deutsche Grammophon CD (1889 Version (aka 1888/89) Ed. Leopold Nowak [1959]) Can’t keep this bloke down!

Close, but no cigar:

Inbal - Frankfurt RSO
              Yannick S-N - Orchestre Métropolitain

And finally, what about Peter Jan Marthe’s 2006 'Neufassung' reconstructed from the 1873-1876-1877-1889 editions performance? Well, having listened to it many times over many months, I'd say that it is too idiosyncratic to be considered as a serious contender - impossible to recommend it for a BaL choice. And it is certain to offend the more straight-laced and conservative among us. But trust me, it is a glorious cosmic-romp-through of some of the most amazing music our beloved maestro Bruckner ever wrote - don’t miss out - I won’t, I’ll be returning to it regularly!

Edit: It is still a mystery as to why none of the moderators will add this CD and download to the list of available recordings.
              Last edited by Beef Oven!; 27-12-16, 01:19.

Comment

Beefy, I have this, if you remember, on your recommendation!! It's certainly one of the best, imo. Having heard the Simone Young, and Yannick S-N, the Chailly is one of the best all-rounders, imo.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                  Beefy, I have this, if you remember, on your recommendation!!
                  BBM, which one do you have?

Comment

John F. Berky lists it as an edition on bruckner.com (as recommended by Jayne). Perhaps you know better!

(good that Marthe took his favourite bits - could’ve been dire otherwise!).

But how could you know what his ‘favourites’ are in the first place? And even if you did know, how would you know he’s conflated them, given that you have not listened to this performance?

You are in good company - Jayne and ahinton tell us they have not listened to it either. For this sort of prejudice and bigotry to arise in a thread about available recordings of Bruckner 3, really surprises me.
                    My remarks were based upon what Marthé had done with/to the finale of Bruckner 9 and, as I'd not at that time listened to what he did with the whole of 3 in his "reloading" thereof, those observations were neither prejudice nor bigotry but representative of a fear that if his 9 finale was anything to go by I'd hold out little hope for his "reloaded" 3, to which I have since listened. My remarks based upon that one listening are contained in the paragraph below.

But don't just take my word for it; check our https://www.abruckner.com/articles/a...vandermeijden/ .

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                      My remarks were based upon what Marthé had done with/to the finale of Bruckner 9 and, as I'd not at that time listened to what he did with the whole of 3 in his "reloading" thereof, those observations were neither prejudice nor bigotry but representative of a fear that if his 9 finale was anything to go by I'd hold out little hope for his "reloaded" 3, to which I have since listened. My remarks based upon that one listening are contained in the paragraph below.
                      That’s a near-perfect example of pre-judgement.

Comment

That’s a near-perfect example of pre-judgement.
                        But it was at least based upon another example of the same person's work with Bruckner rather than mere hearsay or just having read what he'd written about that work. Anyway, as I wrote, I have now listened to it, so it's now based upon that experience as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                          But it was at least based upon another example of the same person's work with Bruckner rather than mere hearsay or just having read what he'd written about that work. Anyway, as I wrote, I have now listened to it, so it's now based upon that experience as well.
                          Too late, you’ve already set your stall out based on prejudice. If you have now listened to it as you claim, you merely appear to be reinforcing your prejudiced view. Where did you hear it from, by the way?

Comment

BBM, which one do you have?
                            The Chailly. I have heard the Y S-N, Simone Young. I also have Eugene Jochum's, as part of that DG cycle.
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                              The Chailly. I have heard the Y S-N, Simone Young. I also have Eugene Jochum's, as part of that DG cycle.
                              Really like the Chailly

People speak highly of the Simon Young, but I haven’t heard her performance.

Comment

88 messages and Tom hasn't uttered a word.

Bring it on.

Comment

Working...
                                X