Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone remember whether in the 1990s Haitink conducted a Proms Mahler 3 with a very good Swedish radio orchestra? My fallible memory can’t quite piece together the details, even though I was there!

Comment

Originally posted by Goon525 View Post
      Can anyone remember whether in the 1990s Haitink conducted a Proms Mahler 3 with a very good Swedish radio orchestra? My fallible memory can’t quite piece together the details, even though I was there!
      Haitink in 1999, but I don't think that the BBCSO is Swedish!

The world's greatest classical music festival - stunning performances and collaborations.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ehdrzc
        Then I’m clearly conflating two different concerts!

Comment

Found on BBC genome for broadcasts of Haitink conducting Mahler 3rd::
          21/9/1978 Haitink LPO
          22/11/70 Haitink/LPO
          16/2/81 Haitink/Philharmonia
          29/7/16 Haitink/LSO
          (There may well be others)

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ehdrzc
            They also appeared at that year's Edinburgh Festival, same performers (I remember Michelle de Young's slightly wobbly rendition of, "Oh mensch", not quite reaching the starry heights of, say, Jessye Norman).

It's the Mahler symphony I've seen in concert most often - and I somehow seem to have acquired in excess of 50 recordings of it
            Last edited by HighlandDougie; 01-11-19, 14:06.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
              They also appeared at that year's Edinburgh Festival, same performers (I remember Michelle de Young's slightly wobbly rendition of, "Oh mensch", not quite reaching the starry heights of, say, Jessye Norman).

It's the Mahler symphony I've seen in concert most often - and I somehow seem to have acquired in excess of 50 recordings of it
              Over 50! Impressive. I can manage a paltry 32 including DVDs plus a few more off-air, so close to 40.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

I'm always interested in early recordings of important works. In the case of Mahler 3, which was completed in 1896, the first studio recording I'm aware of was from over half a century later - Charles Adler with the Vienna Symphony in 1951. Anyone heard it? Not me.

What I do have is Boult with the BBCSO and Ferrier, recorded live in the first UK performance of the symphony - at a public concert at BBC Maida Vale on 29 November 1947. About to compare and contrast this with Haitink and the Concertgebouw!

Comment

I only have the Horestein/LSO recording on Unicorn. Engineered by Bob Auger I believe it was the first multi-track classical recording. Maybe a bit larger than life but still impressive sonically - and musically. Fantastic dynamics and the LSO on cracking form. 50 copies? Wow, some real devotees out there!

Comment

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                    I'm always interested in early recordings of important works. In the case of Mahler 3, which was completed in 1896, the first studio recording I'm aware of was from over half a century later - Charles Adler with the Vienna Symphony in 1951. Anyone heard it? Not me.
                    No sooner said than ...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

There's a Mahler 3 in Cardiff - St David's Hall - next Friday, 8th - Prague SO....I can't make it, but there it is....

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        Over 50! Impressive. I can manage a paltry 32 including DVDs plus a few more off-air, so close to 40.
                        I can muster 35 plus 4 off-air.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
                          I only have the Horestein/LSO recording on Unicorn. Engineered by Bob Auger I believe it was the first multi-track classical recording. Maybe a bit larger than life but still impressive sonically - and musically. Fantastic dynamics and the LSO on cracking form. 50 copies? Wow, some real devotees out there!
                          I'm not sure what you mean by '50 copies' but, I was playing on that Horenstein recording. I will never forget it.
                          Apart from the genius that was Horenstein, there was an extra poignancy in that Sir John Barbirolli and George Szell both died about 24 hours after we began the recording. JH himself announced this on, I think, day 2 of the recording sessions at the Fairfield Hall, Croydon.

Comment

"50 copies" is a reference to HighDoug's mentioning in #20 that he had "in excess of 50 recordings" of the work, Tony.

Great memories for you - thank you for sharing them here. That Horenstein is one of only two versions I own (the other is Bernstein) - both so superb, I've never sought to supplement them. I'd be in the market for a more recent version - the Roth or the Nott, perhaps? (IIRC, both have received plaudits on the Forum.)
                            Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 02-11-19, 10:00.

Comment

I’ve a few of this gargantuan work p. Be very interesting to see what and how the reviewer does this programme.
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                                I was present at Abbado's Lucerne Prom outing in 2007 and wonderful as it was I've never really warmed to his way with that conclusion where he deliberately reins in the timpani. He does it with the VPO, too.
                                Well - that is what Mahler tells him to do, Pet. It's a very carefully calibrated set of dynamics for the last 12 bars: The Timps (both sets) are marked f throughout; the bassoons, celli, contrabassoon, and double basses (who have the same I - V - I - V "pounding" as the Timps throughout these last bars) are marked ff in the strings, and fff in the winds - so Mahler is keeping the Timps behind the winds and strings, supporting them (unlike the Timp "solo" of so many performances), and the expression mark for these last bars underlines this: Nicht mit roher kraft. Gesattigten edlen Ton ("Not with brute force - suffused with noble sound").

Meanwhile, The (8) Horns and Trombones (the Tuba is silent until the very last bar) are marked P; after 3 bars the horns raised to f, but the Trombones twice reminded "sempre P" to curb their enthusiasm - until the last three bars where they allowed a single f.

The upper woodwinds are marked P for three bars, the last one of which is given a hairpin diminuendo, before immediately (with a miniscule pause for breath marked in the score) given ff for the last 9 bars. The upper strings are marked ff throughout (holding the same tremolo D major triad) - and it's the four Trumpets who are given the greatest prominence in these bars (daah - da -deeee).

The careful nuances of these 12 bars require and repay close attention and rehearsal from the performers.

PS: - as, indeed, does the bar before these (on the previous page of the score, so easily overlooked by careless cleverclog commentators )

Comment

Working...
                                X