Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    Precisely my experience at my first Haitink Mahler 3 in 1979 (LPO, Proctor), minus losing my stuff - indeed my first Mahler 3, I'd never heard a note of it before the concert. Mind-altering indeed - we staggered over Waterloo Bridge and sank a couple of pints in the Coal Hole to recover. I can still picture Alan Cumberland on timpani at the end - and indeed I saw Haitink/LPO (with AC on timps) perform it again in the late 70s. I was also at Pet's "incandescent" Barbican performance with the BPO in 2004, with Anna Larsen. So, it's Haitink for me - I have his early RCO version on LP, well worn, and 1990 BPO.
    I too was at Haitink's Barbican performance in 2004 with the BPO; part of his 75th birthday celebrations. One of the greatest performances of any piece I have attended. So its Haitink for me too.
    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      Who produces the shortlist - the producer, AMcG or the reviewer? And does such a narrow approach allow for at least some consideration of vintage, i.e. historically important, recordings?
      Who knows? A combination of the three? Though from his dismissive criticism, it was pretty obvious that Edward Seckerson had been "encouraged" to include the brand-new recording by flavour-of-the-year Lise Davidsen into account, for his survey of the Four Last Songs.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
        Who knows? A combination of the three? Though from his dismissive criticism, it was pretty obvious that Edward Seckerson had been "encouraged" to include the brand-new recording by flavour-of-the-year Lise Davidsen into account, for his survey of the Four Last Songs.
        Enough good ‘uns to shine, naff ones to chuck and a few in between!

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
          Edward Seckerson did the Mahler 3 BaL on 17th November 2007 (in onefer days presumably). I can't remember but probably listened. His first choice was: Concertgebouw Orchestra, Riccardo Chailly/Petra Lang, which I don't think I've heard. I shall leap to Spotify at some point.
          "Budget Choice" was Bernstein/NYPO with Martha Lipton, which I do know from the big Bernstein Symphonies box.

Of the four recordings I have, also including Rattle/CBSO with Birgit Remmert and Tennstedt/LPO with Ortrun Wenkel, my favourite is Haitink/Concertgebouw (1966) with the for me incomparable Maureen Forrester + Netherlands Radio Choir and the Boys' Chorus of St. Willibrord Church excellent in final movement.
          Last edited by gurnemanz; 04-11-19, 13:08. Reason: Choir is of course in Fifth not final movement

Comment

I think one only has to consider the terrible Mahler 4 twofer to see how this is likely to turn out.

Have not listened to BAL since the summer as I found the twofers dreadful.

Comment

Has anyone mentioned that Haitink's Bavarian version was BBC Music Magazine's Record of the Year a couple of years ago?

Comment

Thank gawd it’s not Seckerson though I have found WM an unreliable library builder in the past.

Comment

... currently listening to the Haitink Concertgebouw 1983 live recording, with Carolyn Watkinson, from the Philips box of his Kerstmatinees concerts.

I think this is currently my favourite...

Last edited by vinteuil; 04-11-19, 18:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                    I'm not sure what you mean by '50 copies' but, I was playing on that Horenstein recording. I will never forget it.
                    Apart from the genius that was Horenstein, there was an extra poignancy in that Sir John Barbirolli and George Szell both died about 24 hours after we began the recording. JH himself announced this on, I think, day 2 of the recording sessions at the Fairfield Hall, Croydon.
                    Thanks for those memories Tony. I'm a great fan of JH but sadly never got to see him live. Interesting to see if that recording will figure at all in this BAL.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
                      Thanks for those memories Tony. I'm a great fan of JH but sadly never got to see him live. Interesting to see if that recording will figure at all in this BAL.
                      The Horenstein was, many moons ago, the BAL choice...must have been the time before last. I remember: I went out and bought it straight afterwards, as you could then, quite easily!

Comment

I'm currently listening to the - live - Kubelik (better sound than the DG version but recorded at roughly the same period), which has made me wonder about what I would choose as a shortlist, were I to be recommending a single recording. My first Mahler 3 was LSO/Solti, which I received as a 16th birthday present (I was just as pretentious then as I am now). Anyway, it definitely wouldn't feature on my short list - much as I like Helen Watts in, "Oh, Mensch". So, not Adler (interesting but the recording/orchestral quality make it no more than an important - but still historical - curiosity), Bernstein (first NYPO - still sounds like a discovery on LB's part with the thrill that goes with it - and it was the first Mahler 3rd I ever heard, on the Third Programme), Haitink (Bavarian RSO hard to beat in terms of orchestral playing, singing and recording, although I wouldn't want to be without any of the other four CD releases), Horenstein (ditto Norma Procter in "Oh, Mensch" - and because it was, well, Horenstein), Kubelik (as Wolfram implies, wonderfully thought through), Abbado (it should be Lucerne but Jessye Norman and the VPO are very seductive - definitely not the BPO RFH recording), Sinopoli (preferably the live Stuttgart version), Honeck (a great performance, well-recorded) and Roth (modern Mahler at its best). Oops, where are Tennstedt, Kondrashin, Kegel, Martinon ... Anyway, who else?

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                          ... Anyway, who else?
                          ... Gielen - Inbal - Leinsdorf - Rögner - Scherchen - Boulez?

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                            I'm currently listening to the - live - Kubelik (better sound than the DG version but recorded at roughly the same period), which has made me wonder about what I would choose as a shortlist, were I to be recommending a single recording. . . .
                            Despite admiring the 'live' 8th from the same label, I had not got round to listening to this 3rd. However, regarding audio quality, are you familiar with the Blu-ray remaster of the DG studio recording. If searching via amazon.co.uk, look for "Bru-ray", they can't spell. It appears to have gone up more than 50% in price since I got it in May, but remains worth hearing.

Comment

Honeck for me at least for now...great performance, superb horns and indeed the rest of the orchestral contribution, and very fine recording. Only slight blot is Michelle de Young, too wide a vibrato for me, but doesn’t detract from an excellent all rounder. As with others, I can still go to the shelves for Bernstein’s early one, Abbado with VPO and Gielen with his quirky fillers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                Despite admiring the 'live' 8th from the same label, I had not got round to listening to this 3rd. However, regarding audio quality, are you familiar with the Blu-ray remaster of the DG studio recording. If searching via amazon.co.uk, look for "Bru-ray", they can't spell. It appears to have gone up more than 50% in price since I got it in May, but remains worth hearing.
                                Yup - pre-ordered and delivered on its release. The Audite ‘live’ version, occasional orchestral fluffs aside, is, IMO, that bit more engaging than the studio version.

Comment

Working...
                                X