Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
    Yup - pre-ordered and delivered on its release. The Audite ‘live’ version, occasional orchestral fluffs aside, is, IMO, that bit more engaging than the studio version.
    Now that I check with the invoice, it was April 13th. I really ought to take my old CD set to a charity shop where someone knows how to price such items to get the benefit for the charity concerned. I will listen to the 'live' recording via QOBUZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Goon525 View Post
      Has anyone mentioned that Haitink's Bavarian version was BBC Music Magazine's Record of the Year a couple of years ago?
      I have that version. A very special recording.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        Precisely my experience at my first Haitink Mahler 3 in 1979 (LPO, Proctor), minus losing my stuff - indeed my first Mahler 3, I'd never heard a note of it before the concert. Mind-altering indeed - we staggered over Waterloo Bridge and sank a couple of pints in the Coal Hole to recover. I can still picture Alan Cumberland on timpani at the end - and indeed I saw Haitink/LPO (with AC on timps) perform it again in the late 70s. I was also at Pet's "incandescent" Barbican performance with the BPO in 2004, with Anna Larsen. So, it's Haitink for me - I have his early RCO version on LP, well worn, and 1990 BPO.
        Great to know you were also knocked sideways!

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        My first live Mahler 3 was with Haitink and the Philharmonia at a 1981 Prom. Was that the one of your memory?
        No it wasn’t, Pet... I’ve actually found the programme and my ticket (must have been clutching them and hence didn’t leave them on the tube!) - 16 February 1981, RFH, Philharmonia:

I see it was one of the dates flagged by LMcD:

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        Found on BBC genome for broadcasts of Haitink conducting Mahler 3rd::
        21/9/1978 Haitink LPO
        22/11/70 Haitink/LPO
        16/2/81 Haitink/Philharmonia
        29/7/16 Haitink/LSO
        (There may well be others)
        I’d forgotten it was being broadcast. Wonder if there is a recording somewhere
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

"£3.30"! Those were the days.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

I had the same thought! It was right up in the Gods...

Probably seemed a lot to me as a student

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Yes but how long did you have to work to earn your £3.30 then?

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Yes but how long did you have to work to earn your £3.30 then?

Student grant

(Those were the days!)

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Student grant

(Those were the days!)
                  Indeed! What with the full student grant with the addition of a mature student supplement, I effectively got a small pay rise when I started at Middlesex Poly. Mind you, following a fairly disastrous motorcycle accident I had previously had to accept a significant drop in salary when being moved to sedentary clerical work.

Comment

Is Ken-Ichiro Kobayashi's Exton recording with the Czech PO not available? It is a favourite of the Mahler forum, I have enjoyed it for many years though now prefer Honeck's recording from Pittsburgh.

Comment

No it wasn’t, Pet... I’ve actually found the programme and my ticket (must have been clutching them and hence didn’t leave them on the tube!) - 16 February 1981, RFH, Philharmonia:

It looks as though he conducted the same forces at the Proms.

Comment

He performed it again, with the same forces, at the Proms on the 19th of August of the same year.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                          He performed it again, with the same forces, at the Proms on the 19th of August of the same year.
                          I was there for that one, and for the LSO/ Abbado Mahler 5 the previous week. Those were the days Living a lot closer to London back then helped
                          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                            I was there for that one, and for the LSO/ Abbado Mahler 5 the previous week. Those were the days Living a lot closer to London back then helped
                            I, too, was at both of those. The 1980s were a real golden age for classical music in London You could have Abbado, Solti, Haitink and Tennstedt at the RFH in the same week with Karajan turning up usually around May/June. That 1981 Prom season was one of the very best.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              I, too, was at both of those. The 1980s were a real golden age for classical music in London You could have Abbado, Solti, Haitink and Tennstedt at the RFH in the same week with Karajan turning up usually around May/June. That 1981 Prom season was one of the very best.
                              Alas. Missed a lot of that. This was the time we moved away from the London area (OK .... Croydon) to Wiltshire, took out a mortgage and started having babies. This + practicality and shortage of funds made a concert in London a rarity. Consequently, I don't think we ever saw Solti, Tennstedt, Abbado or Karajan live. Doing our best to make up for it now.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                                Alas. Missed a lot of that. This was the time we moved away from the London area (OK .... Croydon) to Wiltshire, took out a mortgage and started having babies. This + practicality and shortage of funds made a concert in London a rarity. Consequently, I don't think we ever saw Solti, Tennstedt, Abbado or Karajan live. Doing our best to make up for it now.
                                We moved from Coulsdon to Suffolk in 1986. Our first 'date' was a concert at the RFH (50 years ago this coming Monday) and we continued to enjoy concerts in London and Croydon. Perhaps the most memorable at the latter venue featured Nigel Kennedy, a late replacement for Salvatore Accardo, playing the Elgar concerto - or was it perhaps The Dream of Gerontius with Janet Baker, John Shirley-Quirk and Robert Lloyd .....?

Comment

Working...
                                X