Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

William Mival was right in saying that this work really needs to be experienced in live performance, not least due to its vast dynamic range. While the duo were prattling in the studio, my mind went back to last year’s Prom by the Boston Symphony/Nelsons when my ears and eyes were so engaged by the experience that the trapped nerve in my left foot never became an issue while standing unsupported for 110 minutes. The most magical part was when Thomas Rolfs crept offstage and played the posthorn (that he acquired specifically for this solo) from behind a curtain. Being surrounded by thousands of very still listeners focusing on that plaintive sound, as if coming from another world, created a tingle factor unachievable in one’s listening room at home.

Having said that, Tony Duggan’s survey was of more use to me than this BaL:

Comment

After this BAL, I returned to the Bernstein 1961 recording and was amazed at the exceptional technical quality of the recording which I'd completely forgotten. Truly high, wide and handsome with a magnificently realised soundstage, quite a showpiece still.

Comment

I returned to the recording I have with Haitink, please see WAYLTN iii post. I think that’s the best one.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Always seems to be a bloke doing the "heavyweight " repertoire.

I'm sure Suffy could do us a good analysis of this......
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
            I returned to the recording I have with Haitink, please see WAYLTN iii post. I think that’s the best one.
            I'm sorry, WAYLTN iii post? I don't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulT View Post
              I'm sorry, WAYLTN iii post? I don't understand.
              "What are you listening to now"

Took me a while to figure it out, but Gawd knows which post - there are thousands of them !

Comment

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post

Tony Duggan’s survey was of more use to me than this BaL:

Indeed, the Duggan is an excellent in-depth exploration of many fine performances. I found this type of BAL pointless and frustrating with, as others have said, too much babbling by the presenters and with their favourites chosen in advance and only those discussed. Too big a piece for a BAL methinks and It taught me nothing new about this wonderful work. Duggan rates my favourite (Horenstein) most highly (in the top 2) and concludes: "This remains one of the greatest recordings of any Mahler symphony ever set down and I think it always will." Hope you read this Tony and do check out the Duggan if you already haven't. The Brass are particularily lauded!

Comment

Tony Duggan died in 2012.

Comment

Sorry to hear that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
                      Sorry to hear that.
                      So am I.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
                        Indeed, the Duggan is an excellent in-depth exploration of many fine performances. I found this type of BAL pointless and frustrating with, as others have said, too much babbling by the presenters and with their favourites chosen in advance and only those discussed. Too big a piece for a BAL methinks and It taught me nothing new about this wonderful work. Duggan rates my favourite (Horenstein) most highly (in the top 2) and concludes: "This remains one of the greatest recordings of any Mahler symphony ever set down and I think it always will." Hope you read this Tony and do check out the Duggan if you already haven't. The Brass are particularily lauded!
                        Many thanks for this, Lordgeous. Although I was well aware that this morning's BAL was much too short, at 45 minutes, to comment on more than a few recordings, I couldn't quite believe that the awesome Horenstein version wasn't even mentioned, let alone the first ever #3 recording by Adler. Thanks also for the pointer to Duggan.

Comment

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post

Having said that, Tony Duggan’s survey was of more use to me than this BaL:

Absolutely … but what no Haitink?

Comment

No Horenstein, no Kubelik, no reason given as to why Haitink's Chicago recording was preferred over the ones from Amsterdam, Berlin or Munich, and no outline of the history of the performance tradition of the piece, which was always a highlight of the best BaLs. No complaints about what was chosen, just about what was omitted, leading to a lack of a satisfying overview of the recording history as a whole. Less chat and more succinct comments would have allowed more time for a wider range of examples.

Comment

Was I dreaming that I posted or have my comments about Bernstein’s wonderful Mahler 3 (6j been removed?

Comment

My impression from fairly early on was that Abbado was going to be the choice. I don't remember the previous BaL winner from 2007 with Concertgebouw Orchestra, Riccardo Chailly and Petra Lang being mentioned at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X