X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a Library archive on YouTube

A link to the historic BaL recordings found by seabright:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ew+BBC+RADIO+3

I’ll be giving some of these a listen....

Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 14-01-20, 23:51. Reason: Link corrected
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Has it been removed? I click on the link and it just takes me to the YouTube homepage.

Comment

Me, too - try this link:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Thanks ferney... How odd, the links seem identical and the one I posted earlier worked earlier but doesn’t now

EDIT: I hope the OP link now functions
        Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 14-01-20, 23:51.

Comment

- it looks a brilliant resource. Gold stars to seabright for finding it

... now - where to start ... ?
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Oh wow,many thanks to seabright
            BaLs with Michael Kennedy,them were the days
            “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
              Oh wow,many thanks to seabright
              BaLs with Michael Kennedy,them were the days

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Perfect! seabright is owed an unspecified number of beers!

Comment

I suspect these will be removed if the BBC discovers them so download the ones you want now! (software is pretty easy to obtain)

Comment

Thanks to Caliban for starting this thread, though the kudos should really go to Dermot who alerted us to the Rob Cowan BAL of "Enigma" in the first place! ... I listened to Stephen Johnson's BAL of RVW6 yesterday and there's no doubt about it: a considered single-voice scripted preparation is far better than the Twittering Duo presentations we are being served up with nowadays. Can it be that A McG is so fond of his own voice that he can't bear to be left out of the picture for a moment? I also wonder if he's wangled himself a life-time contract and will be presenting RR in his 90s, rather like Nicholas Parsons has been doing with "Just a Minute"!

Anyway, there are lots of BALs to catch up with and I see from the dates alongside the videos that many of them have been on-line for 2 years, so I don't think the BBC is all that bothered. After all, call up 'BBC Proms' on YouTube and you get any number of televised concerts, or parts thereof, that have been viewable for many years. I suspect that the BBC counts these as "free publicity" and probably feels they could help to sell quite a few tickets each season!

As to ferney and his cassettes of various radio broadcasts, what a good idea that would be to put those on YouTube too. It will be the only place where we could hear them again! ... Meanwhile, here's a direct link to the Stephen Johnson RVW6 BAL ...

Comment

What an amazing resource! I'm intrigued by how they got there, e.g. how, by whom, etc, etc.

Comment

This is great. I’ve been saturating myself in them since the early hours. Compelling evidence that we weren’t wrong about BaL.

Comment

Likewise!

Comment

Originally posted by seabright View Post
                            Thanks to Caliban for starting this thread, though the kudos should really go to Dermot who alerted us to the Rob Cowan BAL of "Enigma" in the first place! ... I listened to Stephen Johnson's BAL of RVW6 yesterday and there's no doubt about it: a considered single-voice scripted preparation is far better than the Twittering Duo presentations we are being served up with nowadays.
                            Yes - many thanks - what a delight! Listened to the start of the 40th anniversary broadcast (Edward Greenfield), and now John Steane on The Grand Tradition (not BAL, I know, but I will be exploring those again, next). The uploader has done us a great service.

Originally posted by seabright View Post
                            Can it be that A McG is so fond of his own voice that he can't bear to be left out of the picture for a moment? I also wonder if he's wangled himself a life-time contract and will be presenting RR in his 90s, rather like Nicholas Parsons has been doing with "Just a Minute"!
                            I'm not sure about these lines of thought. We are disappointed, to put it mildly, about the direction of Record Review, but surely the presenter is following a revised brief for the programme, and the producer too. There is a wind of change on BBC Radio to make themselves what they see as more approachable/accessible, and less elitist - in their eyes. That has resulted in a debasement of their output in terms of quality and their remit to educate.

We have rehearsed those observations and arguments. I feel its very likely the controller of R3 has to follow these changes in outlook - I've picked up that R3 is seen as a small cog in the Radio machine, expensive for the audience it gets and has little chance of holding out against the change that has been imprinted, BBC Radio wide, on output. Radio 4 and Radio 3 have to fall in line with the trivialisation and personality driven output of R1 and R2.

The BBC is a corporate bureaucracy par excellence (cf WIA and Victoria Wood's "Head of Chairs" sketch). Piling criticism and speculation on A Mc G is more likely than not unfair. (Let us be careful what we wish for - if he wasn't presenting who would we get - Suzy Klein, Alker, a rota of all those "presenters" who are fully on board with the current styles and poverty stricken aspiration....).

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                              The BBC is a corporate bureaucracy par excellence (cf WIA and Victoria Wood's "Head of Chairs" sketch). Piling criticism and speculation on A Mc G is more likely than not unfair. (Let us be careful what we wish for - if he wasn't presenting who would we get - Suzy Klein, Alker, a rota of all those "presenters" who are fully on board with the current styles and poverty stricken aspiration....).

You can imagine what would happen if, heaven forfend, KD or EA ended up presenting: "Oh, this is really great isn't it? Smashing bloke too! (Giggle, giggle). I really like the clothes he wears on the front cover"

Comment

Working...
                              X