This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alison View Post

I’m sorry that we don’t hear David Nice these days.
    And Chris de Souza another thrown out .

Michael Kennedy’s earlier VW6 is also very good even if I disagreed with his winner.

Comment

Chris de Souza is now 76, and as far as I remember he voluntarily retired (to do other things) rather than being bodily thrown out.

When I clicked on a link from his Wiki page marked "Presenters Radio 3", it took me to a headline which read "14 people tested for Coronavirus". So that's what's happened to all our favourite presenters!

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
        Chris de Souza is now 76, and as far as I remember he voluntarily retired (to do other things) rather than being bodily thrown out.

When I clicked on a link from his Wiki page marked "Presenters Radio 3", it took me to a headline which read "14 people tested for Coronavirus". So that's what's happened to all our favourite presenters!
        Was it part of the BBC plot to attract new presenters and listeners! If so rather harsh!

Comment

Whereas all the Jazz presenters succumbed to Bird 'flu'?

I don't greatly miss CdeS, by the way - he was rather superficial in his analyses of works and recordings. The lowest point were a couple of Discovering Music programmes he presented on Brahms' First and Schumann's Second Symphonies - the supposed "programmes" he invented (this theme represents Clara, that one Robert kind-of thing) made it sound as if the works had been written by Barbara Cartland.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
            A pity his interest didn't extend to Interpretations on Record (I'm wondering how many of those programmes were made. I don't recall that many of them; I might have a few recorded on mini disc - I've got piles of Minidiscs, but have hardly played one for some years now. I think there was a way of transferring mini disc files to a PC file format but I never made it to the point of trying that. Maybe one day…….)
            This sent me agoogling and I found one solitary "Interpretations on Record" on YouTube. (link) Quite a good one from 1963 (I will not have heard it, being aged 14 at the time, and more concerned with The Stones, Buddy Holly and the Beatles.) "Deryck Cooke discusses interpretations of Mahler's 4th Symphony as recorded by Willem Mengelberg, Bruno Walter and Otto Klemperer." Expect rubato and the composer on piano roll.

The recording was uploaded by Misha Horenstein - presumably the cousin of Jascha who contributed this profile of the conductor.

Comment

Great find. Ah dear old Deryck Cooke. Shame the end is cut off. How one longs for such scholarship in R3. remember Hans Keller?

Comment

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
                Great find. Ah dear old Deryck Cooke. Shame the end is cut off. How one longs for such scholarship in R3. remember Hans Keller?
                I won't forget Hans Keller. I can hear his distinctive tones in my head as I write.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  I won't forget Hans Keller. I can hear his distinctive tones in my head as I write.
                  Should this not be in the Round Ball thread?

Comment

An idol of mine back in the day.... taught me how to think as well as how to listen.....fair bit on YT...

Musician and writer Hans Keller talks about the characteristics of great musical performances -- and especially about the art of Bronislaw Huberman. A talk f...

I wonder if his extraordinary R3 broadcast account of escaping the anschluss is available anywhere.... you can of course read it in various selections e.g...
                    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Close...899458&sr=8-11...
                    the seminal, penetrating (Often witty and entertaining) essay "Music 1975" is in there as well....

Pretty good on football too, yes... with a worship of individual brilliance (Brazil 1970, Tostao, Gerson etc) rather than methodical tactics (England, Ramsey, 4-4-3...)...

Comment

I still have that Keller broadcast on cassette. Plus an amusing mock R3 style introduction to a piece of mine being performed at Dartington - I was in the audience recording it on a portable recorder with him sat next to me. He grabbed the microphone just before it started amd improvised: "You are now about to hear..." etc etc. He was also a composer but because of his role at the BBC, I believe, didnt allow any of his work to be programmed. Has any of it been recorded does anyone know?

Comment

Blue plaque news .... http://islingtontribune.com/article/...st-and-present

Comment

Has any reviewer done two BaL’s on the same work?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                            Has any reviewer done two BaL’s on the same work?
                            At least one - in the mid-'70s John Steane surveyed Tristan & Isolde. Of the available versions (Furtwangler, Böhm, Solti, Karajan) he enthusiastically gave the laurels to Karajan's set. Within ten years he returned (with Kleiber and Bernstein added to his original lists) and told everyone to avoid the Karajan, and get Furtwangler (with Kleiber runner-up, IIRC).
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              At least one - in the mid-'70s John Steane surveyed Tristan & Isolde. Of the available versions (Furtwangler, Böhm, Solti, Karajan) he enthusiastically gave the laurels to Karajan's set. Within ten years he returned (with Kleiber and Bernstein added to his original lists) and told everyone to avoid the Karajan, and get Furtwangler (with Kleiber runner-up, IIRC).
                              Good answer!

Comment

Interesting that these two are mentioned together, as they both did broadcasts on Stokowski.

In this first link, DC interviewed LS in the interval of a Maida Vale studio broadcast which included Nielsen's 6th Symphony. When DC asked him about the work, Stokowski was honest enough to confess that he didn't understand it! ...

In 1965, Leopold Stokowski conducted a Maida Vale studio concert which included his only performance of Nielsen's 6th Symphony. During the break, he was inte...

Hans Keller did a little 'Music Magazine' tribute to LS on his 90th birthday and ended up with a typical Keller comment: "Give me Stokowski's tastelessness every time. Those who pride themselves on their taste have it instead of everything else"! ...

Leopold Stokowski celebrated his 90th birthday on 18th April 1972 and to mark the event the BBC radio programme 'Music Magazine' featured a tribute by Hans K...

Priceless!

Comment

Working...
                                X