No announcement yet.
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't go along with these "we shouldn't complain that someone's driven a nail through our foot - they could have driven it through our skulls" arguments. Whether or not AMcG has gleefully welded the hammer, or has done so because somebody at the Beeb is holding his children captive, the results for the listener are the same: a massive pain in the ... foot.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Well, I've just used this and it works - and am enjoying Stephen Johnson on RVW's 6th.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Thank you both. All working. Looking forward to trawling the archive.

Comment

Thank you for the link. Lots of fun to be had there. To avoid duplication, please note that podcasts of Record Review dating from 2010 to the present day are available on the programme's official BBC website.

For those interested, 4K Video Downloader gives the option to save just the audio from these videos - very convenient for MP3, M4A, OGG playlists, etc. (Mods, please delete this last link if considered unseemly.)

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            I don't go along with these "we shouldn't complain that someone's driven a nail through our foot - they could have driven it through our skulls" arguments. Whether or not AMcG has gleefully welded the hammer, or has done so because somebody at the Beeb is holding his children captive, the results for the listener are the same: a massive pain in the ... foot.
            The poster of many of these BALs has also put on a 1983 Radio 4 documentary on Ferrier- “Dear Kath”.

Comment

I wasn't aware that podcasts going back to 2010 are on the BBC website. I suppose I blank out a lot of the verbeage about "Podcasts" "Sounds" and I'd never picked up the existence of such a resource. Thanks, Hitch - #19, for pointing this out. (I was aware of 4K downloader, which is a very useful program and definitely worth mentioning in my view).

John D Walsh (the YT uploader) has a lot of material from Ireland - not especially my interest. I chanced upon "Oft in the Stilly Night" - don't know why I decided to listen but I was struck by a very even-toned alto - on looking closely it was Bernadette Greevy!
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liIo50WRNwQ

I came across a couple of non BAL radio recordings featuring John Steane and other programmes on Melba, Gobbi, Hislop, Gigli, I Baillie, Mc Cormack, John Field (probably most or all on Walsh's listing). A pity his interest didn't extend to Interpretations on Record (I'm wondering how many of those programmes were made. I don't recall that many of them; I might have a few recorded on mini disc - I've got piles of Minidiscs, but have hardly played one for some years now. I think there was a way of transferring mini disc files to a PC file format but I never made it to the point of trying that. Maybe one day…….)

I also came across (from YT's helpful suggestions, not from the uploader of the BALs) a 67 minute documentary on Finzi.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR7e3ApbZi8

Comment

I have hundreds of BaLs from about 1998 onwards on minidisc but I too have no idea how to transfer them to the net.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                  I have hundreds of BaLs from about 1998 onwards on minidisc but I too have no idea how to transfer them to the net.
                  It's an easy process to upload videos to youtube if you have an account. Not sure whether audio works the same - ie whether it will upload mp3 files or whether you will need to make them mp4. If the former, if you can convert your minidisc files to mp3 or mp4 format and then give it a go.

Comment

Sir Velo - the format of minidiscs was a proprietry (Sony) one. At some point their commercial interest led them to release some software that (perhaps, IIRC) meant the recording could be converted to a more open format. But the software was likely "of its time" and information about it may be somewhere on the internet - or not.

I just need some time - well lots if truth be told - to unpack my minidiscs, set up out of storage my players, and have a go. Anyone here managed to transfer Minidisc to open format by an IT process - or know anyone who has done, and can still, do it?
                    Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 17-01-20, 10:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                      Sir Velo - the format of minidiscs was a propriety (Sony) one. At some point their commercial interest led them to release some software that (perhaps, IIRC) meant the recording could be converted to a more open format. But the software was likely "of its time" and information about it may be somewhere on the internet - or not.

I just need some time - well lots if truth be told - to unpack my minidiscs, set up out of storage my players, and have a go. Anyone here managed to transfer Minidisc to open format by an IT process - or know anyone who has done, and can still, do it?
                      Might it be possible to use total recorder to do the conversion?

Comment

Appreciate your kindness in this suggestion, but.....

I have used Total Recorder for years, since I first started "dabbling" in recording that being streamed on Radio 3 - but really the PC equivalent of setting a tape recorder. I only use if for a limited range of options - to do what I do. I'm aware of much more capability and options in Tot. Rec. but whilst not a technophobe, I don't enjoy/have the time for, tinkering for its own sake. If I'd come across Audacity first, I might be using that instead today. Having said that, I'm very sure Total Rec won't help me here. There was a Minidisc forum, but with the demise of that format and product, it was subsumed in another forum, and I haven't found it on a quick search.

But I have found a page where it seems there have been enthusiasts with Tech skills doing their best to enable file transfers, it seems (on a quick look) using Linux - an operating system I have no experience of. There is a wicki page setting out the situation** (I think) and I am encouraged that I probably have the player they cite - one of the last players, and perhaps the only model of player, which can be used for a number (various different formmats within Minidisc itself) of potential conversions. But it all seems fearfully complicated and no doubt fraught with difficulty for the likes of me.....

** https://wiki.physik.fu-berlin.de/lin...idisc/doku.php

I'll need a large allocation of time, firstly to set up Linux for the process, and then try the conversion process.

When I get that opportunity, I'll post the result on the forum. It might be a while though..... (Thinking as I type - as a first step, I would go through the boxes of Mindiscs, and see if there is much of interest. It might be more efficient to play back and record the analogue signal (into Tot Rec/mp3) in real time via a lead***.......

p.s. *** ... which perhaps - was what you meant!

Comment

It might be more efficient to play back and record the analogue signal (into Tot Rec/mp3) in real time via a lead***.......

p.s. *** ... which perhaps - was what you meant!
                          I'm not au fait with minidisc so don't know how much of a faff that would be...presumably a fair bit by the sounds of it!

Comment

I wasn't aware that podcasts going back to 2010 are on the BBC website. I suppose I blank out a lot of the verbeage about "Podcasts" "Sounds" and I'd never picked up the existence of such a resource. Thanks, Hitch - #19, for pointing this out. (I was aware of 4K downloader, which is a very useful program and definitely worth mentioning in my view).

John D Walsh (the YT uploader) has a lot of material from Ireland - not especially my interest. I chanced upon "Oft in the Stilly Night" - don't know why I decided to listen but I was struck by a very even-toned alto - on looking closely it was Bernadette Greevy!
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liIo50WRNwQ

I came across a couple of non BAL radio recordings featuring John Steane and other programmes on Melba, Gobbi, Hislop, Gigli, I Baillie, Mc Cormack, John Field (probably most or all on Walsh's listing). A pity his interest didn't extend to Interpretations on Record (I'm wondering how many of those programmes were made. I don't recall that many of them; I might have a few recorded on mini disc - I've got piles of Minidiscs, but have hardly played one for some years now. I think there was a way of transferring mini disc files to a PC file format but I never made it to the point of trying that. Maybe one day…….)

I also came across (from YT's helpful suggestions, not from the uploader of the BALs) a 67 minute documentary on Finzi.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR7e3ApbZi8
                            Thank you so much for this link - I'm a great admirer of Finzi. I believe this programme was broadcast on 25/9/2006, when Finzi was Composer Of the Week. His actual date of death was 27/9/1956.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                              What an amazing resource! I'm intrigued by how they got there, e.g. how, by whom, etc, etc.
                              If you click the uploader's name under the bottom left of the video, you're taken to his 'Home' page. If you then click the word 'Videos' to the right of the word 'Home' at the top you get several hundreds of thumbnails to scroll down and wade through. I won't spoil it with any revelations but will only say there's a strong Irish 'theme' running through all his selections. When you finally get to his collection of BALs all the way down - and it takes quite a lot of scrolling - you might be surprised at just how many there are. You'll know you're getting warm when "100 Best Tunes" start coming into view! ...

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                                Thank you so much for this link - I'm a great admirer of Finzi. I believe this programme was broadcast on 25/9/2006, when Finzi was Composer Of the Week.
                                Thanks to Cockney Sparrow seconded
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X