Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rather feeble contribution coming up:

I have Eine Alpensinfonie - Dresden/Kempe, the one everyone has.

Comment

I wonder what Ken Russell's favourite version was?

Comment

EA: Have you heard the latest version from Mariss Jansons and he BRSO on BR Klassik. Much better than his Concertgebouw recording in every way and surely one for your top tier?
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          Rather feeble contribution coming up:

I have Eine Alpensinfonie - Dresden/Kempe, the one everyone has.
          Nope,I only have BPO,Karajan (DG)

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            EA: Have you heard the latest version from Mariss Jansons and he BRSO on BR Klassik. Much better than his Concertgebouw recording in every way and surely one for your top tier?
            I do have it. It's one of two I bought recently still in the plastic wrappings, but in view of your recommendation, I'll attend to it.

Comment

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
              Oh no, I have no tier 1 versions! The only one I want (and once had on tape) is underlined above; those on my shelf are in bold...
              I've discovered that I have one of Alpie's "B-Team" recommendations, the Blomstedt/SFSO, in one of the big reissue boxes, so I will give it a spin when I come home from work today.
              Having listened to the Kempe a few days ago, I feel compelled to ask did Strauss realize that he was borrowing from Bruch's First Violin Concero?

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                Having listened to the Kempe a few days ago, I feel compelled to ask did Strauss realize that he was borrowing from Bruch's First Violin Concero?
                He did indeed. It is said that when he rehearsed it, rather than saying "go back to figure XX", he said, "Go back to the Bruch Violin Concerto"

Comment

A word of warning about this CD: the track numbering on the reverse is incorrect. It reads tracks 1 -21 for the Alpensinfonie and track 22 for Tod und Verklärung. The booklet lists it correctly as tracks 1 - 22 for Alpen and 23 for Tod. It's a pity given the usually high production values of BR Klassik CDs that they make this kind of careless mistake.

Another familiar grumble for this Alpensinfonie collector is that my CD player can programme only 20 tracks yet there are so many versions which have 22 tracks and a filler on afterwards. So annoying to have to race for the remote control right at the end before the next piece breaks in.

Comment

So annoying to have to race for the remote control right at the end before the next piece breaks in.
                    And some versions jump straight into the filler without a decent gap.

Comment

The July 2017 issue of BBC MM (on sale from 15 June) has as its cover CD........
                      Richard Strauss
                      An Alpine Symphony
                      BBCSO/Semyon Bychkov

I think that Alpie is quite pleased.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        The July 2017 issue of BBC MM (on sale from 15 June) has as its cover CD........
                        Richard Strauss
                        An Alpine Symphony
                        BBCSO/Semyon Bychkov

Comment

Richard Strauss
                          An Alpine Symphony
                          BBCSO/Semyon Bychkov

Is that the one that was recorded at the prom concert?
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                            Is that the one that was recorded at the prom concert?
                            No more details are given in the latest (June) issue, Bbm, but given that the next issue will be launching this year's Proms season it's quite likely that they'll use a Proms recording for their cover CD.

Comment

No more details are given in the latest (June) issue, Bbm, but given that the next issue will be launching this year's Proms season it's quite likely that they'll use a Proms recording for their cover CD.
                              Ah yes, Pulcie! I know where you're coming from now!
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Almost certainly the performance given at last year's Proms on August 28. I was in the Arena for it and it's a cracking performance.

Comment

Working...
                                X