X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
    Box of Alkan coming soon to a shelf near you

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/cl...-alkan-edition
    And I seem to recall that at least two of the pianists in this box, Mastroprimiano and Hoogland, use period pianos.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
      And I seem to recall that at least two of the pianists in this box, Mastroprimiano and Hoogland, use period pianos.
      You're right:

http://www.musicweb-international.co...ries_94048.htm

and

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alkan-Piano.../dp/B00LPLFFUS

and

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Piano-Minia...JAG570M7JWBM87

P

Comment

The Alkan edition box is already available to listen to in the Naxos library

Comment

Received my November releases email from Naxos. Two interesting boxes - Gerard Schwarz 30CD collection, and an Idil Biret Brahms box which includes his transcriptions of the Symphonies 3 & 4.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Received my November releases email from Naxos. Two interesting boxes - Gerard Schwarz 30CD collection, and an Idil Biret Brahms box which includes his transcriptions of the Symphonies 3 & 4.
            Reminds me of this very good Naxos disc of solo Brahms from Idil Biret. It was one of my earliest CD purchases. A very good disc which I haven't played for a while and am happy to be reminded about.

Comment

Excellent news for we fans of the Naive Vivaldi Edition - apparently it is back in full swing with the 55th release, 'Dorille in Tempe' due out on December 1st. Diego Fasolis and I Barrochisti doing the honours.

Comment

CD or 24/96......
                ...utterly gorgeous transcriptions, and you get a Berio première as well.........(CHEMINS V is the Chamber-Orchestral version of SEQUENZA XI, for Guitar...)

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

CD or 24/96......
                  ...utterly gorgeous transcriptions, and you get a Berio première as well.........(CHEMINS V is the Chamber-Orchestral version of SEQUENZA XI, for Guitar...)
                  Sounds interesting...

Comment

This caught my eye, being very keen on all things Bartók.

Has anyone heard it? Any views?

eClassical has it on a special for just over $13 for a Hi-Res (24 bits, but they are silent on the sample rate). Qobuz is 24/96 but is £13.19.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

eClassical has it on a special for just over $13 for a Hi-Res (24 bits, but they are silent on the sample rate). Qobuz is 24/96 but is £13.19.

A movement from the PC got a play on R3 this week.

Sounded very good, actually.

And you can buy the CD for £13 .
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

I really like that cover!

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                          I really like that cover!
                          Thanks Alison - a lot there to get my head around .....

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

Beefy

Thanks for the heads-up on the eclassical offer - I appear to have been dropped from their e-mail list.

If one is used to rather more hard-edged performances (Julius Katchen, say, in PC3 or Solti in the CfO), it might seem a bit soft-focused and lacking in oomph, but the fine recording (the usual Gasteig venue) and the beautiful playing (the MPO are a classy lot) had me listen again after an initial - and slightly underwhelmed - hearing. I need to get more used to it but Heras-Casado's success in bringing out the colour and playful, almost dance-like elements in the orchestration is beginning to win me over. I hadn't listened to the CfO for ages until I played the Boulez/Chicago SO recording a couple of days ago. This new recording is not in any way inferior to it; it's just a bit different in approach.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                              Beefy

Thanks for the heads-up on the eclassical offer - I appear to have been dropped from their e-mail list.

If one is used to rather more hard-edged performances (Julius Katchen, say, in PC3 or Solti in the CfO), it might seem a bit soft-focused and lacking in oomph, but the fine recording (the usual Gasteig venue) and the beautiful playing (the MPO are a classy lot) had me listen again after an initial - and slightly underwhelmed - hearing. I need to get more used to it but Heras-Casado's success in bringing out the colour and playful, almost dance-like elements in the orchestration is beginning to win me over. I hadn't listened to the CfO for ages until I played the Boulez/Chicago SO recording a couple of days ago. This new recording is not in any way inferior to it; it's just a bit different in approach.
                              Thanks very much HighlandDougie. I'm interested in getting a more recent recording. Someone on here said on another thread that it seemed that whenever this work is considered it's the usual warhorses (Reiner, Karajan, Solti et al) that are referred to and said that there some excellent contemporary recordings about. This recording may give me a different perspective on the work.

Comment

Just given me this afternoon by one of the performers; Cornelius Cardew: Treatise (London Experimental Ensemble), a 'live' performance given at iklectik just over a year ago. Programme notes by Eddie Prevost. [split rock SR18001]. I have not had a chance to listen to its 2 hours 9 minutes plus yet. I missed the gig itself, so am particularly happy to have this double album.

I don't think this has been officially released yet, and the split rock website appears to be currently under construction.

[Ah. I have just checked and it would seem iklectik have been provided with some advance copies. What the price is I do not know.]

[A little surprised to find the performance was in two parts, with and interval. Thus each of the two CDs ends with applause and closing comment.]
                                Last edited by Bryn; 04-02-18, 00:01. Reason: Update.

Comment

Working...
                                X