X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Slater
    • Mar 2007

The whole set seems to be available on Spotify - so no need to 'punt'!

Just listening to the scherzo of the 'London' - very lively!
    Last edited by Andrew Slater; 30-05-14, 18:35.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post

I have an old BBC Radio Classics release of Noddy conducting RVW symphony no 5 and Sancta civitas with BBC forces and Brian Rayner Cook at a Proms concert, I recall.

If the quality of this performance is anything to go by, Noddy's RVW symphony cycle may be approached with confidence and much anticipation.
      Last edited by Guest; 30-05-14, 19:09. Reason: BBC Radio not Carlton

Comment

• Andrew Slater
        • Mar 2007

Yes - I have that disc, and my conclusion was the same as yours, when I heard about this set. (It's still useful to check ...)

You might be interested in a similar thread here.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          The link to MDT supplied by ami from (#901) suggests that Rozhdestvensky conducts all the Symphonies, Abalian and Vereschagin trained the choirs for the Sea Symphony, Polyansky did a similar job for the voiceless chorus in the Antartica ... Weinberg?
          From the amazon.co.uk listing:

Vaughan Williams: Symphonies [Valery Polyansky, Gennady Rozhdestvensky, Boris Abalian] [Melodiya: MELCD 1002170] [Box set]
          The USSR State Chamber Choir, The State Symphony Orchestra of the USSR Ministry of Culture, Tatiana Smoryakova, Boris Vasiliev, The Choir of the Leningrad Music Society, The Choir of the Rimsky-Korsakov Music College Elena Dof-Donskaya (Artist), Moisey Weinberg (Composer), Gennady Rozhdestvensky,Boris Abalian Valery Polyansky (Conductor)

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

I'm guessing this is the link you meant to post - http://open.spotify.com/album/4zSuEKSuqmzcm9wj4texqj - this should find the Sea Symphony first.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              I'm guessing this is the link you meant to post - http://open.spotify.com/album/4zSuEKSuqmzcm9wj4texqj - this should find the Sea Symphony first.
              Whatever - the link I supplied works for me!

Having listened to most of the recordings, I'm now not so sure ....

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

For me your link just goes to Spotify, not to the RVW recordings. If it works for you I'm not sure what has happened.

I enjoyed number 5. I may listen to more.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                  • Nov 2010

I've dipped into this set; the coda in the finale of the 'London' just doesn't cut the mustard. This is a vital part of this somewhat shadowy symphony, and it sounds really just like a final rounding off. Think of Boult, Handley etc - these guys KNOW it should feel and sound.

Therefore I'm in agreement with you AS; "Im now not so sure ...." is exactly right. I have a feeling that if I had this set, I'd probably listen to it once only, deferring to others, when I feel an RVW fix coming on! I would also be thinking "Do I really need this?" or "Why on earth did I spend thirty quid on this???"

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    From the amazon.co.uk listing:
                    Hmmm; RVW and Weinberg mentioned together? I suspect it's just a cunning plan by Amazon to make sure EdgeleyRob buys the set!
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Hmmm; RVW and Weinberg mentioned together? I suspect it's just a cunning plan by Amazon to make sure EdgeleyRob buys the set!

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                        I've dipped into this set; the coda in the finale of the 'London' just doesn't cut the mustard. This is a vital part of this somewhat shadowy symphony, and it sounds really just like a final rounding off. Think of Boult, Handley etc - these guys KNOW it should feel and sound.

Therefore I'm in agreement with you AS; "Im now not so sure ...." is exactly right. I have a feeling that if I had this set, I'd probably listen to it once only, deferring to others, when I feel an RVW fix coming on! I would also be thinking "Do I really need this?" or "Why on earth did I spend thirty quid on this???"
                        Surely if a Russian did a carbon copy of Boult or Handley it would unattractive - already got that - the thought that he might have a different approach makes me interested. Not sure if I'm £30 interested!

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Here's one that's been eagerly expected:

Not to be missed in my view.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Presto are putting out a new tranche of re-releases - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/fea...Critics-Choice
                            The CD of Henze symphonies is more out of the ordinary than most. There's also one of music by Mondonville - a composer of whom I was completely unaware until two minutes ago.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Surely if a Russian did a carbon copy of Boult or Handley it would unattractive - already got that - the thought that he might have a different approach makes me interested. Not sure if I'm £30 interested!
                              I wouldn't advocate recording and playing a carbon copy; that would be (thankfully) impossible - like trying to repaint a Turner or Constable.

What I really meant, I suppose, is that from the chunks I listened to, I was indeed, interested but I echo your final sentence exactly; "Not sure if I'm £30 interested!"

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                Presto are putting out a new tranche of re-releases - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/fea...Critics-Choice
                                The CD of Henze symphonies is more out of the ordinary than most. There's also one of music by Mondonville - a composer of whom I was completely unaware until two minutes ago.
                                This Henze symphonies 1-6 is also on Brilliant. Not a bright move, this duplication, IMVHO.

Comment

Working...
                                X