This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
    Snap! It would take me a bit of time to access the box itself, so I wasn't sure if the VPO Planets was, actually, in the box. The DGG website page for the box has changed - its necessary to open each CD to see the contents (and search on my web browser doesn't overcome that).

I've spent 10 fruitless minutes trying to find a listing of works/performers/dates (ideally) for each disc - web page or PDF, I've not found any...... I'd be glad to know of any.......

Eventually I resorted to the (ordinarily unhelpful/abominable) Amazon product listing and by searching "Mars" (Holst/Planets of course was no help) and found the disc is indeed included.
    A quick check shows that the only missing recording is the Vienna Carmen. However this was an RCA recording made by Decca, but then were some of the orchestral issues!
    Last edited by cloughie; 25-04-20, 17:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
      Snap! It would take me a bit of time to access the box itself, so I wasn't sure if the VPO Planets was, actually, in the box. The DGG website page for the box has changed - its necessary to open each CD to see the contents (and search on my web browser doesn't overcome that).

I've spent 10 fruitless minutes trying to find a listing of works/performers/dates (ideally) for each disc - web page or PDF, I've not found any...... I'd be glad to know of any.......

Eventually I resorted to the (ordinarily unhelpful/abominable) Amazon product listing and by searching "Mars" (Holst/Planets of course was no help) and found the disc is indeed included.
      I don’t have the big DGG box, so was happy to pick up the Decca Karajan set for £66. What I have heard so far has been pretty good.
      "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
      Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

A couple of new releases mentioned in this months Gramophone that caught my eye:

To the Spring.
        Grieg Violin Sonatas.
        Elena Orioste and Tom Poster.

Cleveland Orchestra / Welser- Most
        A New Century.
        This is a 3 CD set on their new label.
        Interesting mix of music, including Varese, Prokofiev, and Bernd Deutsch.
        Available now on Apple Music, not out on CD till June. Which seems odd to me.
        Anyway, lined up for a listen.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

A new release for pastoralguy Benedetti and Jurowski in the Elgar Violin Concerto out in July.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            A new release for pastoralguy Benedetti and Jurowski in the Elgar Violin Concerto out in July.
            I like Nicola’s playing - wonder if there will be a coupling - not quite as short as the recently on these boards controversial Beethoven 5 - but 50 mins does leave half an hour of good music space!

Just noticed that couplings are P & V arrangements of Sospiri, Salut d’Amour and Chanson de nuit with Petr Limonov on piano!
            Last edited by cloughie; 03-05-20, 12:59.

Comment

Just a reminder that you can get a free download of Beethoven Op.15(iii) Hough/Lintu here.... (I'm in medias res with the new CPO Wallisch/Haselbock Complete Piano Concertos, going well, see Listening...)

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/d...c=D_HYP202005A

Comment

Released this morning

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  I was waiting for you to post that. Why should I spend all that on an EP's worth of stuff from Duncan Tautology?

Will download after PMQs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Duncan Tautology?
                    ... a teensy bit unfair - chap ain't man here (as I'm sure you knew already... )

He's really Dun Koopman...

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      Just having a listen to the new Vikingur Olafsson Debussy / Rameau disc.
                      It got a glowing review in Gramophone from Harriet Smith. I’m not completely convinced yet about the Rameau on piano, but the combination of works is very effective indeed.
                      I was completely won over by his Bach disc and by this too . A lovely record and I should love to hear what he would make of the complete Preludes.

Comment

Completely new composer for me...​Cyrillus Kreek....this is really beautiful.... just voices and harps/zither......
                        Listen to unlimited or download Cyrillus Kreek - The Suspended Harp of Babel by Vox Clamantis in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

...scroll down to album description for more.....
                        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 09-05-20, 18:02.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                          Completely new composer for me...​Cyrillus Kreek....this is really beautiful.... just voices and harps/zither......
                          Listen to unlimited or download Cyrillus Kreek - The Suspended Harp of Babel by Vox Clamantis in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

...scroll down to album description for more.....
                          Great spot, Jayne. This really is exquisitely performed, full of gentle surprises, and subtly shifting textures and sounds. Love the way things weave in and out. It feels very comfortable in its own idiom.
                          Thanks for the tip.

Its strange how things connect...it puts me in mind of something else , from a very different musical place.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Great spot, Jayne. This really is exquisitely performed, full of gentle surprises, and subtly shifting textures and sounds. Love the way things weave in and out. It feels very comfortable in its own idiom.
                            Thanks for the tip.

Its strange how things connect...it puts me in mind of something else , from a very different musical place.
                            ...​which magnum mysterium is this....?....

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                              ...​which magnum mysterium is this....?....
                              Don’t laugh, but it put me in mind of Odyshape , by The Raincoats. Completely different of course, but it has that same sense that you want the music to close in around you, possibly with headphones on, and let the textural and melodic shifts just happen all around you, pull you gently this way and that. There is a similar soft strength, and the thing that probably made the connection was how the instruments sometimes just seem to drift in , the way the violin does in Odyshape.

I very much doubt if anybody else will hear it this way,

Edit: anyway, I’m glad you asked. ( Odyshape is highly regarded by Richard Barrett, incidentally.)

Comment

Striking sonorities here, both in the blend & the contrast....
                                Bösendorfer 1882, Cello - early 1800s English anon....

Listen to unlimited or download Brahms: Cello Sonatas by Markus Hohti in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

Very sensitively shaped with fascinating timbral/coloristic shadings, subtle dynamic infection.... marvellous musicmaking....

No Brahmsian should miss this one...

Comment

Working...
                                X