X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

And in today's releases is a Hyperion release of Steven Osborne playing the Debussy Etudes, recordings/interpretations of which have featured recently on another thread (can't remember which, offhand). (PS: Actually, I now think that the discussion might have been about the Preludes. )

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...-pour-le-piano
    In the event really enjoyed his performance of Bk 1 Etudes, and I’m looking forward to Bk 2 very much, maybe later today. It seemed beautifully recorded to boot. Defo worth a listen.

Comment

• Mandryka
      • Feb 2021

Information about Ivana Valotti here

This sounds wonderful to me, performance and organ, and I’m particularly pleased to have a new recording collecting all Bk 2 toccatas together - since I’m not totally clear still about the differences stylistically between the two collections of music. Her CV on the Milan Conservatory website says that her recording of Bk 1 is imminent.

The downer is that I can’t find the booklet online - and she’s a real scholar so it could well be interesting to read. If anyone finds it, please say.

(I really feel like writing to her and asking what she thinks of Vartolo - but my Italian isn’t up to it!)​

(And listening to it I’m getting clearer about Bks 1 and 2 - some of this music is really complicated! Thought after hearing Toccatas 5 and 6.)
      Last edited by Mandryka; 04-11-23, 10:52.

Comment

• Mandryka
        • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
        The extract played from this on Saturday morning really captured my attention:

The ‘controversial’ approach to tempo & expression seemed to make the music live anew; I wonder if the brief extract flattered to deceive - I’ll be listening to the whole thing to find out…

Oh bliss! Minasi makes the first movement of The Prague sound like music as uncompromisingly tough and dramatic and complicated as Don Giovanni. Gone for ever the sweet and elegant symphony I thought I knew and loved.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
          Oh bliss! Minasi makes the first movement of The Prague sound like music as uncompromisingly tough and dramatic and complicated as Don Giovanni. Gone for ever the sweet and elegant symphony I thought I knew and loved.
          Bliss or regret?
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
            The extract played from this on Saturday morning really captured my attention:

The ‘controversial’ approach to tempo & expression seemed to make the music live anew; I wonder if the brief extract flattered to deceive - I’ll be listening to the whole thing to find out…
            I’ll try it and see if it dislodges the Prague by Maag - my long time favourite!

Comment

• silvestrione
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

I’ll try it and see if it dislodges the Prague by Maag - my long time favourite!
              Prague by Maag is good, yes! (a favourite of JTW, I remember)

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

And in today's releases is a Hyperion release of Steven Osborne playing the Debussy Etudes, recordings/interpretations of which have featured recently on another thread (can't remember which, offhand). (PS: Actually, I now think that the discussion might have been about the Preludes. )

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...-pour-le-piano
                The discussion was about the ‘Études’ and Mandryka’s disappointment at the live performance which he had heard Steven Osborne give in the Wigmore Hall whereas I had enjoyed a performance of around half of them I’d heard in Perth. Conclusion was that SO was having a rare off-night in the WH - it happens. So glad to know that the CD seems to mark a return to his usual form.

Comment

• Mandryka
                  • Feb 2021

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post

Prague by Maag is good, yes! (a favourite of JTW, I remember)
                  There are two Maag Pragues.

Comment

• Jonathan
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                    ... Beethoven / Scharwenka symphonies, vol.4
                    Is another superb disc in what has been an excellent and enlightening set of recordings, full marks to all concerned. Highly recommended!

Best regards,
                    Jonathan

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

The remastered War Requiem is a new release: this article about the original recording might be of interest.

Comment

• Mandryka
                        • Feb 2021

The Osborne Debussy etudes are valuable partly because there’s a sense of discovery and joy in music making - no feeling of rote.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

I see that the new Chandos recording of Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe with John Wilson is on promotion at eClassical, currently at a discount. However, the disc version is a hybrid SACD with a multi-channel surround layer in addition to 16- and 24-bit stereo options. However, the eClassical download is 2-channel stereo only.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post

There are two Maag Pragues.
                            There are indeed - my ltf is the 1959 LSO Decca recording.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              I see that the new Chandos recording of Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe with John Wilson is on promotion at eClassical, currently at a discount. However, the disc version is a hybrid SACD with a multi-channel surround layer in addition to 16- and 24-bit stereo options. However, the eClassical download is 2-channel stereo only.
                              Whichever, it looks interesting!

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

Whichever, it looks interesting!
                                Physical disc ordered (and allegedly about to be delivered) rather than download for the reason set out by Bryn, i.e. it's multi-channel.

Having rather neglected the 5-channel plus sub-woofer system in my sitting/TV room here in Scotland, I've upgraded the universal disc player and the AV multi-channel amp, spruced up the cables and and better positioned the speakers so have been re-experiencing the pleasures of multi-channel SACDs like the John Wilson Rachmaninov 3rd. I realise that there is an anti-JW camp on this Forum for whom he can do no good so it will no doubt be dissed in its turn. For me, though, I will look forward to listening later to this Daphnis and Chloë.

Comment

Working...
                                X