This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Am I alone in thinking this an appalling CD cover?
    No!!

Comment

No from me too
      Best regards,
      Jonathan

Comment

I love it becuause it made me think of that stone which Mr Pickwick found

Comment

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
          I love it becuause it made me think of that stone which Mr Pickwick found

... excellent!

Tho' I think the CD cover wd be even better in boustrophedon -

Comment

Looking forward to this next month - a new recording of all the Dussek solo piano pieces on a range of period pianos.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              Looking forward to this next month - a new recording of all the Dussek solo piano pieces on a range of period pianos.

Thanks for bringing that to our attention. It should indeed be a treat!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

Thanks for bringing that to our attention. It should indeed be a treat!
                Actually, I've since learned Brilliant have boxed ten previously available discs but the recordings no earlier than 2017. Good artists, too...Bart van Oort, Viviana Sofronitsky, Alexi Lubimov etc. A wide range of pianos, too.

Comment

Just a bit tempted by today's release of the Copland Columbia Collection, though I think I've probably got almost everything already.
                  Nice to have it all in one place though.

Comment

There's a new disc of Reger's Brahms transcriptions out on DG soon, sounds really interesting.
                    Best regards,
                    Jonathan

Comment

Intrigued by today's Record Review playlist that mentions a track from a harpsichord concerto by Stravinsky (sic) I investigated and discovered this forthcoming release, which looks very attractive to me (and it has a nice cover):

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...chord-concerto

Comment

This looks tasty.

Stravinsky: Pulcinella Suite - Falla: El Retablo de Maese Pedro & Harpsichord Concerto. Harmonia Mundi: HMM902653. Buy CD or download online. Mahler Chamber Orchestra, Pablo Heras-Casado, Benjamin Alard, Airam Hernández

Comment

It was reviewed on R3 last Saturday morning and the extracts played sounded very good. Jeremy Sams questioned the wisdom of using (for the first time in a recording, I think he said) a boy soprano in the chamber opera, however, on the basis that it didn’t sound very nice…
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

It was reviewed on R3 last Saturday morning and the extracts played sounded very good. Jeremy Sams questioned the wisdom of using (for the first time in a recording, I think he said) a boy soprano in the chamber opera, however, on the basis that it didn’t sound very nice…
                            Hurrah to the boy soprano, say I.
                            Let's have one as Ravel's L'enfant too.

Streaming this now; somewhat mixed reaction but very much enjoying on the whole.
                            Great coupling of pieces.

PS: Pulcinella suite a disappointment (though some interesting spiky playing). Not one for me to live with, I'm sad to say, as I had high hopes.
                            Last edited by Pulcinella; 23-02-24, 16:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Hurrah to the boy soprano, say I.
                              Let's have one as Ravel's L'enfant too.
                              I'm with Nick and Jeremy Sams on this one I'm afraid. No problems with boy sopranos per se but this one grates on initial hearing to the extent that I can guarantee I would not want to hear it again!. Marriner and the ASMF still a winner for me in the Pulcinella suite with bags more individuality to the playing than this under characterised performance.

Comment

I'm with Nick and Jeremy Sams on this one I'm afraid. No problems with boy sopranos per se but this one grates on initial hearing to the extent that I can guarantee I would not want to hear it again!
                                Haven’t actually listened yet, in fact (it’s queued up on Qobuz). No problem in principle (I was & am a fan of Lenny’s version of Mahler 4 with a treble in the last movement) but it’s a risky gambit
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X