Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of Fridays have passed. The latest piece on All of Bach was performed at an unusual venue...
    Last edited by Hitch; 01-09-19, 12:50.

Comment

Up to date now. Sorry if I did not appreciate the significance of 'the unusual venue' for Prelude and Fugue No 6.
      Cantata BWV 61 my pick of the bunch so far, both the performance and the rehearsal, and the feeling of being there.

Comment

Most houseboats don't have a harpsichord, I should imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitch View Post
          Most houseboats don't have a harpsichord, I should imagine.

I must get out more.

Comment

Are there only six pieces uploaded? Or is there a cache of 'back numbers' that I'm not seeing how to access?

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              Are there only six pieces uploaded? Or is there a cache of 'back numbers' that I'm not seeing how to access?
              I have now discovered that by clicking on the vertical bar on the left of the site, you access the previous issues: there are now eleven works available.

The comments by the performers are interesting, too.

Comment

The latest addition is the cantata BWV 36 Schwingt freudig euch empor.

Bumping this up, as a reminder of this lovely resource.

Comment

Here's a recent article about Bach from The Spectator. You all probably know most of this information anyway, but I thought it worthwhile to re-visit:

Weekly magazine featuring the best British journalists, authors, critics and cartoonists, since 1828

I'm pretty intrigued by Phillips' comments that we ought to listen critically to Bach instead of treating him like a god and that he could be a "tendentious windbag".

Comment

Originally posted by Krystal View Post
                    http://www.spectator.co.uk/arts/musi...ets-deify-him/
                    I'm pretty intrigued by Phillips' comments that we ought to listen critically to Bach instead of treating him like a god and that he could be a "tendentious windbag".
                    Thanks for the link. But there isn't very much in it, is there? Vague references to people (unnamed) who "treat him as a god"), and no suggestions about which works demonstrate the "tendentious windbag" tendency - in fact, the article displays the very faults it (sort-of) accuses others: it is uncritical.

That people should listen/look/read an Artist's work critically is a public information statement from the Ministry of the Bleedin' Obvious. What's astonishing about JSB is that the more one listens critically to the Music, the greater richness and invention it reveals. That isn't "treating him like a god"; that's just acknowledging one of the remarkable glories of which our species is capable; it doesn't seem possible (or even "fair"!) that the whole corpus of an individual's output contains nothing but masterpieces. But, unless I've been very lucky and happened to have missed the duff works in my forty-odd years of listening to this Music, that is the case here.

Anyone care to do the hard work that Mr Philips shrinks from and offer suggestions of "tendentious windbag" works by Bach?
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

The article has generated some intelligent observations from you and, on that basis, I think it's been a worthwhile exercise. I feel the audience for such an article, appearing in The Spectator (something I don't generally read as a rule), was directed broadly at people who'd say they 'like' classical music. That's my feeling.

There isn't any work of Bach which bores me; quite the opposite, in fact. We have 'grown' together - my appreciation for him and his enduring humanity and genius; not necessarily in that order!! Many years ago I can remember Peter Ustinov satirizing Bach with those out-of-tune, quite lengthy melismatic passages which Ustinov must have regarded as 'typical' of Bach. This always raised a laugh, but this need not be confused with 'tendentious windbag' characteristics.

For me, the great great composers are Bach and Beethoven - the rest, more or less, fall into line after that. As somebody I once befriended on the internet once observed, Bach's music is the product of "sheer, shivering greatness".

And I totally disagree with the comments about Handel whose music has been revealed spectacularly through HIP. I adore this composer and as I write this I'm listening to The Sixteen/Christophers and "Dixit Dominus". Handel's music, if interpreted correctly, need not suffer the fate of 'heavy choruses'. Obviously the author hasn't heard John Eliot Gardiner's recordings.
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-07-14, 08:11.

Comment

Sorry I have fallen behind again, but endeavoring to pervsevere. Cantata BWV 54 my latest listen and it, with the accompanying notes, is once again a great experience, and kind of excuses me for my weakness and inattentiveness.
                        I have only glanced as yet at Krystal's link and exchanges, but I'm happy to take my place in the gods.

Comment

Just a small response to 23 -25 above: that Bach requires more effort to get to know and appreciate than either Beethoven or Mozart, and that is why they are (IMV) more popular. The perceived austerity of Bach lies behind his elevation to god-like status by those who find him difficult to approach. (And all this may simply be my projection of my own history re Bach, as I've come to him very late.)

Comment

BWV 146.
                            Life's a valley of tears and then you die?
                            I prefer sometimes you're up, sometimes you're down.
                            O yes Lord!

Edit: I mean, the interpretation of what the words mean. I prefer not to think that we have to wait for the next life to achieve happiness, which Bach probably meant. OTOH he does end the cantata on a bright note. Maybe he's doubtful himself. I'm sorry I started this thought. The music and the performances are wonderful as usual. What a series! Discovering Music Lives!.
                            Last edited by Padraig; 15-08-14, 21:03.

Comment

I'm wondering if anyone else is following this interesting weekly outing of a new Bach piece. I have it bookmarked and check about every other week. I've enjoyed particularly the keyboard pieces played on harpsichord, though a little disappointed in the amount of organ works - not my favourite musical instrument: on the other hand I have found all the talks about the pieces by the musicians illuminating and interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                                I'm wondering if anyone else is following this interesting weekly outing of a new Bach piece. I have it bookmarked and check about every other week. I've enjoyed particularly the keyboard pieces played on harpsichord, though a little disappointed in the amount of organ works - not my favourite musical instrument: on the other hand I have found all the talks about the pieces by the musicians illuminating and interesting.
                                I am,I would encourage others to do so.

I wonder if it would be worth placing this thread in the reference library....admin ?

Comment

Working...
                                X