Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fridays will never be the same again.
    I'm a recent convert to JSB and now can't imagine the end of the working week without his music.
    What a wonderful project this is.

Comment

Originally posted by edgeleyrob View Post
      fridays will never be the same again...
      tgib!

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        tgib!
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

BWV 50 - Nun ist das Heil und die Kraft

I really enjoyed this weeks TGIB even though it might not have been written by the great man.

Comment

BWV 50 - Nun ist das Heil und die Kraft

Well - I didn't know this - what an exquisite piece - Bach or not! It ended too soon though, so I had to play it again.

I remember John Eliot Gardiner saying, that dance is so important to Bach's music. And this performance seemed to exemplify that!

Comment

Keeping the faith with this brilliant project. Another winner and I do believe it's JSB. This week two versions, and I'll have them both please.

Comment

A return to the organ music today.

Allein gott in der hoh sei her,BWV 664.

A rather intricate and complex sounding little piece,well worth catching if you can.

Marvelous.

Comment

Caught it, ER. Got on much better with this organ piece. The music had its own attraction without explanatory text, but I got a lot out of trying to fit text to music. I do wish I knew some German.

Comment

Gott,man lobet dich in der Stille,BWV 120.

Oh this is wonderful,new to me,as most of this stuff is.
                    I know I'm probably preaching to the converted but do try to catch this if you can.

Discovered this site too http://www.bach-cantatas.com
                    I wonder if this might be placed in the reference library / admin ?

Comment

Only just taken the plunge with looking at this site and it's pretty good isn't it? I've got some catching up to do but will endeavour to watch/listen every Friday.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Agree completely with previous comments. Another truly magnificent video this week. Each Friday brings another discovery for me; particularly as I'd never really delved into the Cantata repertoire, previously.

I also see that Bach is Composer of the Week next week, so more opportunities coming up. I think it may be a repeat of a previous series, though, as I see the (R) against the listing in the RT.

Comment

If the best way to praise God is in silence, as is suggested, is there an irony in the cantata being a celebration of a town council election?
                          Plenty of avenues to explore in the history of BWV 120, and in the end it's another great performance by such committed musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                            Gott,man lobet dich in der Stille,BWV 120.

Oh this is wonderful,new to me
                            New to me too! Playing now - a second time! Just fantastic. Mind altering, in the best sense!
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              Only just taken the plunge with looking at this site and it's pretty good isn't it? I've got some catching up to do but will endeavour to watch/listen every Friday.
                              It really is the most wonderful thing Pet.
                              I now find myself looking forward to the new upload every week.
                              Listened again to BWV 120 today,fantastic.

Comment

Listening to all three of these chorales I was struck by the individual personality of each in a way that told me more ( not that I already understood much) about the mystery of the Trinity. Poor old Saint Patrick had to make do with a shamrock, but JSB almost made them come alive - the sombre Father, the troubled Son and light-hearted Holy Ghost. The music I mean - not the doctrine.

Thank you ER for the cantata link you posted above.

Comment

Working...
                                X