X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RVW, 5th Symphony, Hickox/LSO on Chndos. Very good performance and a recording quality to die for.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
      Beethoven. Piano concerto no. 3 in c minor.

Annie Fischer, piano. Conducted by Ferenc Fricsay.

I had this on a Helidor Lp and it accompanied me all the way through studying for my 'O' levels. Super to make its acquaintance again. (35 years later! )
      I picked that lp up in Salzburg a few years ago. Still sounds excellent!

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
        Beethoven. Piano concerto no. 3 in c minor.

Annie Fischer, piano. Conducted by Ferenc Fricsay.

I had this on a Helidor Lp and it accompanied me all the way through studying for my 'O' levels. Super to make its acquaintance again. (35 years later! )
        I also had that LP at a time when I had not many LPs so it got played a lot. I still have it but it's in rather poor nick. A few months ago I found it on YouTube.

Comment

Haydn
          Symphony No. 31 in D major, Hob. I:31, ‘Horn signal’
          Symphony No. 70 in D major, Hob. I:70
          Symphony No. 101 in D major, Hob. I:101, ‘The Clock’
          Scottish Chamber Orchestra/Robin Ticciati
          Recorded 2015 Usher Hall, Edinburgh
          Linn Records

Franz Lehár
          Waltzes
          Gold und Silber, Op. 79,
          Die lustige Witwe: O kommet doch, o kommt, Ihr Ballsiren,
          Where the Lark Sings,
          Giuditta: excerpt(s),
          Der Graf von Luxemburg: excerpt(s),
          Zigeunerliebe: excerpts(s),
          Eva: excerpt(s),
          Wiener Johann Strauss-Orchester/Willi Boskovsky
          Recorded Vienna 1982
          EMI Classics

Grant Green with Dave Bailey, Frank Hayes & Ben Tucker
          ‘Reaching Out’
          Blue Note (1961)

Comment

Continuing my foray into Andre Previn's Vaughan Williams Symphony Cycle. This afternoon it's Symphonies Nos. 6 & 9.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
              RVW, 5th Symphony, Hickox/LSO on Chndos. Very good performance and a recording quality to die for.
              Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              Continuing my foray into Andre Previn's Vaughan Williams Symphony Cycle. This afternoon it's Symphonies Nos. 6 & 9.

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                It's a scandal that they haven't been reissued as a set.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                  It's a scandal that they haven't been reissued as a set.
                  But they have: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Williams-Sym...ughan+Williams

I bought the set a few years ago while it was still available.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Haydn: Symphony No 86
                    Stravinsky: Apollo

[interval]

Janacek: Glagolitic Mass
                    Felicity Palmer (soprano), Ameral Gunson (mezzo-soprano)
                    John Mitchinson (tenor), Malcolm King (bass)
                    City of Birmingham Symphony Chorus

City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
                    Sir Simon Rattle

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

Hiya Petrushka,

I didn’t explain myself well enough. I was thinking of a more recently issued set than 2004 and not at that sort of price! These days reissues should really be more competitively priced.

Comment

Hiya Petrushka,

I didn’t explain myself well enough. I was thinking of a more recently issued set than 2004 and not at that sort of price! These days reissues should really be more competitively priced.
                        Hmm. When I got it 8 years ago it was £14.51 including p&p.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

Erm, that's what I am playing now!
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            Hmm. When I got it 8 years ago it was £14.51 including p&p.
                            My point exactly. It's not £14.51 now. Amazon.co.uk/com have no new sets available as its deleted. If it's that easy to get hold of then sell it me for £14.51 and buy a new repacement.
                            Last edited by Stanfordian; 11-10-15, 12:23.

Comment

My point exactly. It's not £14.51 now. Amazon.co.uk/com have no new sets available as its deleted. If it's that easy to get hold of then sell it me for £14.51 and buy a new repacement.
                              Until I took a look following mention on this thread I'd no idea the set had been deleted. I got mine for something like the price Bryn paid for his. My guess is that it will reappear as a Sony box in due course.

While on the subject of Andre Previn, we really need a Warner box taking in the complete EMI recordings. I do hope that they are not waiting for him to shuffle off this mortal coil before they get round to doing it but the cynic in me says they are.

Comment

My point exactly. It's not £14.51 now. Amazon.co.uk/com have no new sets available as its deleted. If it's that easy to get hold of then sell it me for £14.51 and buy a new rep[l]acement.
                                I noted the current asking price. The "Hmm" was intended to indicate a certain unhappiness with the current situation. The sooner that set returns to the catalogue, the better. Have you tried searching out lossless downloads?

Comment

Working...
                                X