This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    what a shame Pristine's site is down for so long, just when I needed them for Fürtwangler...[/I]
    I just got an email promising that the site will be back up "the week after next".

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      What - bored with the Mytek already? Heavens...The fickle, dilettante audiophile....

Barenboim editions.... (Staatskapelle - Peral & DG are the same) -

4th is - usual 1878-80, Haas.

I've not heard the Barenboim Staatskapelle set myself, so the Russky Puppet can get back to you on that, but as for Knappertsbusch - the masterings are almost shockingly different, yes. The Preiser of the 1944 4th makes the orchestra sound rather disengaged; listener follows suit. The Archipel is less interventionist: far more engaged and engaging but edgy, more distorted & and a little hard-on-the-ears sometimes. A good effort though - I'll probably return to it.
      I didn't take well to the Urania at first because of that continuous rumble: I had to engage a less frequently-used filter on the T&A Dac 8 - Bezier pure-impulse but with a slight treble lift before 20khz - to lighten the sound up a bit. Still feel the bass extension is odd though, some low-level out-of-tune boom. Just going on with it again now, so....under permanent review.

What an alluring minefield Bruckner à la historique is.... and what a shame Pristine's site is down for so long, just when I needed them for Fürtwangler...

If the Mytek had an HDMI input, it would be perfect. The problem is, Jayne, that the Mytek so improved all my digital inputs, including Red Book CD, that now my SACDs were sounding much less special than formerly. I was hoping the Bryston would both enhance my SACDs (it does) and rival the Mytek on CD and other digital ( alas, no, the Mytek is clearly superior). So I am trying to decide if I can afford both DACs. Perhaps if I don't eat for the next three months; I've gained a lot of weight the past few years and this would simultaneously solve 2 problems...
      Regarding Kna, I didn't realize that this was a war time recording. I had thought that you were referring to a Decca mono recording from the 50s and was wondering why there were alternative remasterings. I didn't realize that Kna was allowed to record as late as 1944. Hitler was said to have despised him, and at that stage of the proceedings resources were scarce and only Artists favored by the regime were allowed to be recorded.

Comment

I am listening to Rachel Podger playing Biber Mystery Sonatas (Channel Classic SACD, sounds wonderful via the aforementioned Bryston). My only comparison is the ancient Vox recording with Suzanne Leutenbacher (sp?-I no longer have the CD) which I remember as a huge sounding closely miked Violin threatening to blow the roof of the recording studio. R.P. Is in fine form, that supple yet silvery tone combined with crisp articulation with lively yet restrained organ continuo. Strongly recommended

Comment

Richard & Jayne, Barenboim uses the 1878 version of the Bruckner 4 edited in 1974 by Leopold Nowak.

My first ever recording of the 4th was the Munich 29/10/ 1951 concert given by Furtwangler and the VPO, dodgy finale cymbal clash included. That was on a Decca Eclipse LP bought in 1974. I have it on an Archipel CD where it sounds decidedly ropey. Any better remasterings out there?
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

[QUOTE=Petrushka;602434]Richard & Jayne, Barenboim uses the 1878 version of the Bruckner 4 edited in 1974 by Leopold Nowak.

My first ever recording of the 4th was the Munich 29/10/ 1951 concert given by Furtwangler and the VPO, dodgy finale cymbal clash included. That was on a Decca Eclipse LP bought in 1974. I have it on an Archipel CD where it sounds decidedly ropey. Any better remasterings out there?[/QUOTE
            Amazon U.S. Lists that recording as a Praga SACD for $25. I suspect you can find it cheaper than that
            Presto has it as a download for about $16 on Music and Arts, and as part of a 6 CD set featuring a lot more Bruckner on another label for about 20% more
            Last edited by richardfinegold; 01-02-17, 23:30.

Comment

Haydn
              Symphony No. 76 in E flat major
              Mozart
              Serenata notturna, K. 239
              Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin/Günter Wand
              Recorded live 1995 Philharmonie, Berlin
              from Edition Günter Wand - Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin Vol. 5

Piotr Beczala - Slavic Opera Arias
              Arensky, Borodin, Dvorák, Moniuszko, Nowowiejski, Rachmaninov,
              Rimsky-Korsakov, Smetana, Tchaikovsky, Żeleński

Piotr Beczala (tenor)
              Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra/Łukasz Borowicz
              Recorded 2009 Witold Lutosławski Concert, Warsaw
              Orfeo
              Last edited by Stanfordian; 02-02-17, 11:45.

Comment

Giya Kancheli.
                Symphony #6.

Very much his usual idiom. I have listened to a bit of his music recently,after being introduced to it at a concert, and with some helpful comments from JLW in mind.

It is excellent stuff, but you really do need to like sudden blasts of brass after long spells of subdued music, if you are going to get on with him !

Plenty more on youtube, and some good value downloads of some of the symphonies available on amazon.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  Giya Kancheli.
                  Symphony #6.

Very much his usual idiom. I have listened to a bit of his music recently,after being introduced to it at a concert, and with some helpful comments from JLW in mind.

It is excellent stuff, but you really do need to like sudden blasts of brass after long spells of subdued music, if you are going to get on with him !

Plenty more on youtube, and some good value downloads of some of the symphonies available on amazon.
                  I haven't listened to any of his music for many years, after hearing about 3 pieces that all sounded the same, per your description

Comment

Kancheli comments here, scroll down....

But do try the 2015 release of Twilight/Chiaroscuro ; more varied and gentler in their expressions, with that sweeter, almost nostalgic longing for a lost world the more emphasised.... they were a secret record-of-the-year for me perhaps more for my own emotional reasons IRL, but I still felt they were a late and wondrous variant of his unmistakable inspiration.
                    Listen to Gidon Kremer in unlimited on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from %price%/month

And as recommended again -A la Duduki/Trauerfarbenes Land.... if you only know a few symphonies the Duduki, at less than 20' and with distinct jazz elements, may surprise you. The ECM sound is beyond-praise fabulous too... exceptional.
                    Listen to Radio Symphonieorchester Wien in unlimited on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from %price%/month
                    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 02-02-17, 22:53.

Comment

Mozart: Sinfonia Concertante for Oboe, Clarinet, Horn, Bassoon and Orchestra K297b
                      Karl Steins (oboe), Karl Leister (clarinet), Gerd Seiffert (horn), Günter Piesk (bassoon)
                      Berliner Philharmoniker
                      Karl Böhm

[interval]

Bruckner: Symphony No 5 (original version ed Nowak 1951)
                      Staatskapelle Berlin
                      Daniel Barenboim

This is the swiftest account of the 5th I've heard. Most recordings notch up an average time of 75 minutes (some even 77) but Barenboim gets it all done in a few seconds over 70 minutes, and that includes a half minute of applause at the end. On the whole I think the work does benefit from this.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        Mozart: Sinfonia Concertante for Oboe, Clarinet, Horn, Bassoon and Orchestra K297b ...
                        You appear to have omitted the "questionable attrib." there. An attractive enough concoction though, whoever put it together.

Comment

Delius
                          Dance Rhapsodies 1 & 2
                          The Walk to the Paradise Garden
                          In a Summer Garden
                          North Country Sketches
                          Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra/Richard Hickox
                          Recorded 1994 Winter Gardens, Bournemouth
                          Chandos

John Ireland & E.J. Moeran - Choral Music
                          Including: A Cradle Song, Sea Fever, Twilight Night, Songs of Springtime
                          David Owen Norris (piano)
                          The Carice Singers/George Parris
                          Recorded 2015 St Michael and All Angels, Summertown, Oxford
                          Naxos
                          A wonderfully sung and recorded recent release from Naxos. A real winner!

Comment

Sibelius VC. Henry Szerying, v; Barbiroli,c; Helsinki Philharmonic
                            We heard the first movement in the car last night after work while driving to a hospital to visit an indisposed friend. The mono sounded very impactful on the radio,and I don't know how old this. It had a very hypnotic,hallucinatory opening that gave way a powerful tatement. Not as potent as my favored Francescatti/Bernstein, but more of a fist in a velvet glove. Perhaps some of the Conductors admirers know this recording

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                              Delius
                              Dance Rhapsodies 1 & 2
                              The Walk to the Paradise Garden
                              In a Summer Garden
                              North Country Sketches
                              Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra/Richard Hickox
                              Recorded 1994 Winter Gardens, Bournemouth
                              Chandos

John Ireland & E.J. Moeran - Choral Music
                              Including: A Cradle Song, Sea Fever, Twilight Night, Songs of Springtime
                              David Owen Norris (piano)
                              The Carice Singers/George Parris
                              Recorded 2015 St Michael and All Angels, Summertown, Oxford
                              Naxos
                              A wonderfully sung and recorded recent release from Naxos. A real winner!

I might just get that Ireland disc, Stan. thanks as ever!

I wonder if sir Andrew Davis is recording a VW cycle for Chandos? He has already made two recordings?
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                You appear to have omitted the "questionable attrib." there. An attractive enough concoction though, whoever put it together.
                                No recording I've got puts 'attrib, Mozart' or any such thing in their track listings so I follow suit. 'An attractive concoction' sounds like damning with faint praise to me and while the finale is definitely less than top grade, the other two are very fine indeed, especially the beautiful slow movement. I'm not conversant with whatever questions surround the attribution but I'm happy to think of it as Mozart.

Comment

Working...
                                X