This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weinberg:
    Symphony 19, "Bright May", Vladimir Lande, St. Petersburg SO.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Weinberg:
      Symphony 19, "Bright May", Vladimir Lande, St. Petersburg SO.
      A very fine symphony IMO.
      There seems more to it than meets the ear on first listen,the more one listens the more it seems to say.

Comment

Songs: 3 Hyperions

Florian Boesch - Schubert (CD Der Wanderer). Fine disc. One of the top baritones around at the moment.

Camille Saint-Saëns - mélodies all new to me and something of a revelation, François Le Roux (baritone), Graham Johnson (piano) (great fiver's worth)

Finzi twofer - a snip at £6.50

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          More of an Eroica than the Eroica ?
          Nah - RVW describes someone else's self-imposed bravery. Ludders uses his own heroism, overcoming thoughts of suicide at the devastation of his deafness, to expand the universe. Time and space cracked with those opening Eb major chords.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

A different sort of year in which I am pinpointing who is going on to the next round.

That means far fewer links than last winter.

There were four earlier and here are another four:

Gabriel Dupont - La Maison Dans Les Dunes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C8Px49HDf8
            Jean Emile Cras - Âmes d'enfants - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JQpsVisG9w
            Alberic Magnard - Promenades - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muQxXCWJaHs
            P Ladmirault - Poeme: Brocéliande au Matin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYGxa2KBvto
            Last edited by Lat-Literal; 17-09-16, 00:41.

Comment

Fryderyk Chopin - Mazurka in A minor Op. 17 No. 4 (Radio 3 Record Review, Andrew McGregor)

What a performance!! (didn’t catch the name of the pianist )

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                Fryderyk Chopin - Mazurka in A minor Op. 17 No. 4 (Radio 3 Record Review, Andrew McGregor)

Pavel Kolesnikov.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                  Pavel Kolesnikov.

Comment

Britten - A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Radio 3 - Record Review

This sounds amazing - very different from my Decca recording. The voices are so immediate and the orchestra is at once sinewy and luminous. I feel a purchase coming on.

Comment

That was an amazing glimpse. I’d give two shillings to know how many copies of that Testament set will eventually be sold.

(Programme now moved on to Britten books. Presenter said that Britten loved Chikowsky. Then how come not Puccini?)

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

Just checking whether anyone else was grabbed by this performance. When it came on I was compelled to delay my annual trip to Tesco's just a little longer. Thoroughly agree with Beef Oven - wonderfully coloured playing from Pavel Kolesnikov and a mastery of the mazurka genre. Very tempted to purchase this one!

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon View Post
                          Just checking whether anyone else was grabbed by this performance. When it came on I was compelled to delay my annual trip to Tesco's just a little longer. Thoroughly agree with Beef Oven - wonderfully coloured playing from Pavel Kolesnikov and a mastery of the mazurka genre. Very tempted to purchase this one!
                          It caught my ear, too. You can here further samples here and in the video below:

It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                            It caught my ear, too. You can here further samples here
                            Thanks for that link, Thropplenoggin. Looking at his biography: "Pavel will return to the Wigmore Hall in May 2017, and will also give a series of recitals at LSO St Luke’s in London throughout 2016 and 2017". Radio3 has got me fired up!

Comment

Download at a distinctly discounted price of £6.77 from eClassical.com this morning, A variety of download qualities are included in the price, from stereo mp3 to 96/24 surround.

Comment

A double cd of the late, great Mr. John Ogdon and his spouse playing Russian and French music. Fantastic music making. (50p from the Ca Research shop!)

Comment

Working...
                                X