• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RichardB
    Banned
    • Nov 2021

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
    I can imagine that 14 CDs would be something of an effort even for the most hardened enthusiast! And that's always the problem with monster complete sets, fatigue sets in and it's not really fair to the composer. I made a similar mistake with listening every day to the 21 CD Brilliant set of the Haydn Baryton trios - a good set to have, but in small doses!
    In the old days, of course, we had to take such things in small doses, like the Harnoncourt/Leonhardt Bach cantatas which I started on LPs in the mid-70s and ended on CDs; and now I have the entire set tucked away on a hard drive.

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
      In the old days, of course, we had to take such things in small doses, like the Harnoncourt/Leonhardt Bach cantatas which I started on LPs in the mid-70s and ended on CDs; and now I have the entire set tucked away on a hard drive.
      Yes, and maybe in some respects it was better for listening purposes. Weren't those original Harnoncourt/Leonhardt LP boxes a sumptuous affair? Beautifully boxed in a sort of canvas, gold-embossed cover with full scores inside.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        Yes, and maybe in some respects it was better for listening purposes. Weren't those original Harnoncourt/Leonhardt LP boxes a sumptuous affair? Beautifully boxed in a sort of canvas, gold-embossed cover with full scores inside.
        And costing an arm and a leg.

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          And costing an arm and a leg.
          Ooh yes, they really broke the bank.

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Just spotted this - recorded a year ago. I see that Kuijken includes a minuet in Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, but I wonder which one...I remember Christopher Hogwood inserting a 'missing' minuet with one by Mozart's English contemporary Thomas Attwood.

The other divertimenti are very pleasant - I have a nice recording by the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra under Ton Koopman.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Bartok has always meant a great deal to me, and returning to this album after the CfO BaL has been a greatly joyful experience. The GMYO were always going to be special, but if you heard this without knowing, you'd ask: what amazing orchestra IS this? The Mandarin gets a blisteringly intense live performance, and as ever Eötvös brings the composer's most fastidious ear - for detail phrase and expression to every moment...
              The string section is astounding for its taut ensemble, rhythmic power and delicacy, and coloristic range......

Stream it or buy it - but there's no way around it for devoted Bartokians....so often, I find the very best Bartok is well off-the-beaten...

Eötvös conducts Bartók: The Miraculous Mandarin / Concerto for Orchestra

Péter Eötvös, Junge Deutsche Philharmonie & Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester

• Released on 07/09/2001 b
              • BUDAPEST MUSIC CENTRE CD, LIVE 1992/94.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                Bartok has always meant a great deal to me, and returning to this album after the CfO BaL has been a greatly joyful experience. The GMYO were always going to be special, but if you heard this without knowing, you'd ask: what amazing orchestra IS this? The Mandarin gets a blisteringly intense live performance, and as ever Eötvös brings the composer's most fastidious ear - for detail phrase and expression to every moment...
                The string section is astounding for its taut ensemble, rhythmic power and delicacy, and coloristic range......

Stream it or buy it - but there's no way around it for devoted Bartokians....so often, I find the very best Bartok is well off-the-beaten...

Eötvös conducts Bartók: The Miraculous Mandarin / Concerto for Orchestra

Péter Eötvös, Junge Deutsche Philharmonie & Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester

• Released on 07/09/2001 b
                • BUDAPEST MUSIC CENTRE CD, LIVE 1992/94.

Duly importing, now. Thank goodness it's the Ballet, not the Suite, of The Miraculous Mandarin.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Duly importing, now. Thank goodness it's the Ballet, not the Suite, of The Miraculous Mandarin.
                  As I remember it, the complete ballet score continues on after the famous chase, with which Bartok concluded the Suite - rather bringing Stravinsky's practice in his shortened Petrushka suites. Otherwise the music is the same - or would that be wrong to say?

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                    Not long arrived in the post:

Mozart - violin concerto no. 1 - Huggett - Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment
                    No. 3 now.

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

The second of the three ragas on the Dr L. Subramaniam disk I mentioned above. Wonderful. I love this raga...

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

No. 3 now.
                        D'you have a favourite concerto, J? Or a movement? There is one of the slow movements I find especially haunting.... ah, but which?

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                          D'you have a favourite concerto, J? Or a movement? There is one of the slow movements I find especially haunting.... ah, but which?
                          I don't have a favourite... yet. I haven't yet listened to no. 4. Today, the first movement of no 3 served as a nice aubade, and I listened to the whole thing earlier this evening.

Currently I have Brahms's second symphony SCO/Ticciati on, second movement...

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Quite enjoying this, by John Aulich, who is younger than me...

Comment

• gradus
                              • Nov 2010

Craig Sheppard (remember him from Leeds 1972) recorded live playing Schumann's complete Novelettes and the Blumenstucke. Repertoire from the golden period of Schumann's piano writing and imv unjustly neglected but perhaps the length of the Novelettes (oddly named for a major composition) makes them awkward to programme(?),hence complete recordings are rare. A wholly different approach to Ciani (very fine) but a very welcome addition.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

I don't have a favourite... yet. I haven't yet listened to no. 4. Today, the first movement of no 3 served as a nice aubade, and I listened to the whole thing earlier this evening.

Currently I have Brahms's second symphony SCO/Ticciati on, second movement...
                                Its always those cadential phrases in the intro, then at the end of the first section, then the end of the movement itself, of the Mozart K207 adagio that do it for me...almost in tears every time......why, I don't know. One of those magical musical mysteries.....

Comment

Working...
                                X