This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radio 3 in Concert: Sir Simon Rattle's Inaugural Concert with the LSO

Finally getting round to hearing this. Not disappointed! There's a lot of concerts I am going to try and catch up with.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      A different side of Leonard Bernstein here this afternoon.

Latin American Fiesta
      NYPO/Bernstein (one of the Sony Bernstein Century series)

Copland: Danzón cubano
      Copland: El salón México
      Fernández: Batuque
      Guarnieri: Dansa brasileira
      Villa-Lobos: Bachiana brasileira 5 (Netania Davrath, soprano; Carl Stern, solo cello)
      Revueltas: Sensemayá
      Chávez: Sinfonía india

Great 'swing' in the Copland, particularly.
      Very interesting - thank you.

All of those composers are now in my small classical music collection.

(well, it is around 300 discs which isn't bad, starting almost from scratch - and on a tight budget)

And so are these:

Osvaldo Golijov - How Slow the Wind - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTEFiudeDyg
      Alberto Ginastera - Triste - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc0MWZrHYaw
      Manuel Ponce - Estrellita - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtW5886_ZRE
      Alberto Nepomuceno - Coração Triste - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H18y-NKvfw

(the sense of priority - off centre - and the need to prioritise - already give it a certain uniqueness)
      Last edited by Lat-Literal; 02-10-17, 20:13.

Comment

I've finally caught with Beatrice Rana's Prom debut. She played the Schumann concerto with the BBC Symphony Orchestra under Sir Andrew Davis in the Sir Malcolm Sargent Tribute Prom. Looking back on the Proms thread I see some were less than enthusiastic about this performance but I still think the Albert Hall isn't exactly the venue for an intimate work like the Schumann concerto. I listened on the radio and I've posted that I enjoyed but, re-watching on YouTube, I can hear where the comments about lack of poetry come from.

Comment

I finally splurged on the Mandelring Quartet's cd of the two Brahms String Sextets op. 18 & 36.

These are works I'm extremely fond of and I've been looking forward to comparing it with the Erato cd of an ad hoc ensemble led by Renaud Capuçon. (Probably my cd of the year!)

However, there's a really odd moment in the second movement of the op. 18 sextet where I honestly thought our smoke detector had gone off! However, after ascertaining the house wasn't on fire, I played the movement again to discover the sound was on the cd! Most odd. (And, inevitably, no mention of it in the Gramophone's review which raises again the question of what quality of equipment reviewers use). I may email audited and ask if this is a production flaw or if their studio caught fire during the sessions.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
            I finally splurged on the Mandelring Quartet's cd of the two Brahms String Sextets op. 18 & 36.

These are works I'm extremely fond of and I've been looking forward to comparing it with the Erato cd of an ad hoc ensemble led by Renaud Capuçon. (Probably my cd of the year!)

However, there's a really odd moment in the second movement of the op. 18 sextet where I honestly thought our smoke detector had gone off! However, after ascertaining the house wasn't on fire, I played the movement again to discover the sound was on the cd! Most odd. (And, inevitably, no mention of it in the Gramophone's review which raises again the question of what quality of equipment reviewers use). I may email audited and ask if this is a production flaw or if their studio caught fire during the sessions.
            Favourite works of mine also. Just listening to CD5 of Brahms Complete songs on cpo - great performances. (just appeared on Presto)

Comment

Randall Thompson:

Frostiana : Seven Country Songs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqotLc73va0
              The Peaceable Kingdom - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1gL_4YDyes

Gabriel Dupont:

Les Heures Dolentes XIII - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lhzbWrS9-g

Samuel Barber:

Excerpts from The Lovers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IimI8Jbqyf8

Charles Tournemire:

Excerpts from L'Orgue Mystique - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL3GEBqBVWo
              Last edited by Lat-Literal; 03-10-17, 07:19.

Comment

Beethoven
                Symphony No. 1
                Symphony No. 3 ‘Eroica’
                Wiener Symphoniker/Philippe Jordon
                Recorded live 2017 Goldener Saal, Musikverein, Vienna
                Solo Musica
                New release.

Schubert
                Mass No. 6 in E flat major. D950
                Mozart
                Vesperae solennes de Confessore, K339
                Genia Kühmeier (soprano); Christa Mayer (alto); Timothy Robinson, Oliver Ringelhaln (tenors), Matthew Rose (bass)
                Staatsopernchor Dresden,
                Staatskapelle Dresden/Sir Charles Mackerras
                Recorded live 2008 Frauenkirche, Dresden
                Carus

Comment

Varèse
                  Ecuatorial
                  Déserts
                  Intégrales
                  Hyperprism
                  Octandre
                  Offrandes
                  Density 21.5

Ensemble intercontemperain/Boulez

(Prompted by a friend who had been to the recent BBC Singers concert, specifically to hear the Byrd Lamentations, in which Octandre featured. From comments on that thread, I should listen to the whole concert.)

Comment

Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 13 in E flat, Op. 27 No. 1
                    Schumann - Fantasy in C, Op. 17
                    Schoenberg - Drei Klavierstücke, Op. 11

Beautiful Claudio Arrau disc on this just issued BBC Legends box - a treasure trove.

Comment

Salute to Grainger

Various Artists.
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                        Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 13 in E flat, Op. 27 No. 1
                        Schumann - Fantasy in C, Op. 17
                        Schoenberg - Drei Klavierstücke, Op. 11

Beautiful Claudio Arrau disc on this just issued BBC Legends box - a treasure trove.
                        Yes, a treasure trove I agree: I have the first two, 'live', from another source, an Italian label, and they are favourites of mine. I had no idea he ever performed Schoenberg.

Comment

Intrigued, I sought this out on Qobuz HIFI and there's no funny noise on the lossless stream of the andante ma moderato ... Gramophone's AF-C may well have listened to a different format - a file, or a pre-release review CD etc.... what's the timing of the alarming noise on your disc?

Comment

Mozart.
                            Missa Solemnis KV337/ Coronation Mass.

From the ever reliable Chamber Choir of Europe/ Nicol Matt.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                              Intrigued, I sought this out on Qobuz HIFI and there's no funny noise on the lossless stream of the andante ma moderato ... Gramophone's AF-C may well have listened to a different format - a file, or a pre-release review CD etc.... what's the timing of the alarming noise on your disc?
                              Hi Jayne. Thanks for your reply. It's track 2 between 2" 21 & 2" 23. It really sounds like a smoke alarm. I've been too busy to email audite today but will do tomorrow. I'll write in German (or at least get my Frau to do it!) and report back.

There's a moment in the Szell/Cleveland Orchestra Prokofiev 5 where the studio 'phone goes off. It actually fits quite well...

Comment

Hi Jayne. Thanks for your reply. It's track 2 between 2" 21 & 2" 23. It really sounds like a smoke alarm. I've been too busy to email audite today but will do tomorrow. I'll write in German (or at least get my Frau to do it!) and report back.

There's a moment in the Szell/Cleveland Orchestra Prokofiev 5 where the studio 'phone goes off. It actually fits quite well...
                                OK - just to confirm, at that point (and throughout) the stream is clean.... Qobuz HiFi is a clear clean stream.... I guess it must be a pressing/batch fault....?
                                AS FOR the Brahms Sextets, the Mandelringers were a bit rich for me (a South African 15% Shiraz when what you want is... an elegant Barolo) - so allegiance unshifted to..... Hausmusik London. (Signum). But I seem to want Period Instruments in almost all the 18th and 19th Century Chamber Music I'm obsessed with, except for.... the Vegh Quartet back then, and the Leipziger Streichquartette now....

e.g...
                                Haydn
                                String Quartets Op.20 4-6. Chiaroscuro Quartet. BIS 2017.
                                Brahms. Piano Quartet op.25; Piano Quintet Op.34. "Tones of Romantic Extravagance". Ironwood. ABC 2016. (This one is a bit.... outrageously individual...well, not just a bit.... . Portamento much...? You haven't heard portamento till you've heard this...what are they on?)
                                Schumann Piano Quintet Op.44. La Gaia Scienza. Winter & Winter 2005.
                                ​Schumann Piano Quintet Op.44; Piano Quartet Op.47. Michelangelo Piano Quartet. Chandos Chaconne 2003.

All streamed via Qobuz HiFi....but La Gaia Scienza Für Meine Clara then purchased as CD, in that lovely, yellow ridged cardboard, hardback book presentation.
                                Lately the Chandos Michelangelo release also purchased as 2ndhand CD. Truly lovely.
                                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 04-10-17, 01:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X