X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm afraid I lost touch with Ferneyhough after Funerailles. Glad you still enjoy his music.

I've just listened to Priaulx Rainier's String Trio and Quanta, the only two works of hers to be recorded by a major company for many years, but favourites of mine.

Comment

Currently sampling Schnittke's 3rd Symphony.

Not sure how to embed images or videos in this new website. I'll figure it eventually.

Ah - seems it worked first time!

Comment

I think I preferred the picture to the music! I must try again with Schnittke

Comment

I am listening to the afternoon concert on radio 3, is a bit off at the moment but i dont have much time to spare or would listen to lastnights beethoven again via the website.
          Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
            I'm afraid I lost touch with Ferneyhough after Funerailles. Glad you still enjoy his music.

I've just listened to Priaulx Rainier's String Trio and Quanta, the only two works of hers to be recorded by a major company for many years, but favourites of mine.
            The composition of La Terre est un Homme and Funerailles overlap with each other, with the latter begun earlier than the former, but completed a bit later. In any case, La Terre is well worth getting to know, it's an incredible piece.

Comment

Otto Klemperer.

String Quartets played by the Solaris Quartet.

I don’t think Haydn, Beethoven, Schubert and Mozart have anything to fear. OK’s works are just not interesting enough to bear repeated listening. (Imho!)

Comment

Rachmaninov. Suite Op.17 No.2

Ravel. La Valse

Lutoslawski. Paganini Variations.

Martha Argerich and Nelson Freire, piano.

My most recently acquired Philips Blue Face cd. Released back in the day when record companies thought it was acceptable to release 38 minutes of music on a single disc! Fabulous playing, mind…

Comment

The other evening (as those who know me on FaceBook might already know), I was thoroughly enjoying Nadejda Vlaeva's Bortkiewicz CD on Hyperion. I was able to get this from the "Please someone, buy me" section of the website for £5! Also got a CD of Anton Rubinstein's Piano Quartets but I've not heard any of that yet.
                  Best regards,
                  Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                    Bartok - string quartet no. 5 - Hagen Quartett

Really enjoying this. They switch nicely between filigree textures & more dance-like sections...
                    Yes it was the 5th which turned me on to the Hagen cycle - just this week I’ve been listening to their 6th a lot. They’ve convinced me, for the first time, that the 6th is peak Bartok.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post

Yes it was the 5th which turned me on to the Hagen cycle - just this week I’ve been listening to their 6th a lot. They’ve convinced me, for the first time, that the 6th is peak Bartok.
                      That's good to know. I did listen to the sixth the other week, but I can't remember which recording it was. Might have to check my youtube history... Number four is probably my favourite at the moment, or perhaps the first...

Comment

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post

Some 60 years ago, the 6th was the Bartok String Quartet I found the least immediately engaging. I did eventually come to terms with it but in my youth it was the 3rd, 4th and 5th I revelled in. These days, I don't really have a favourite.

Comment

Svendsen : Romeo and Juliet, from this morning's TTN: a fine tone poem I'd never even heard of before today. Recommended.

Comment

James Erber - Epitomaria-Glosaria-Commentaria (Music for 25 Solo Strings)

Epitomaria-Glosaria-Commentaria (Music for 25 Solo Strings) by James Erber (soundcloud.com)

Comment

Boulez - second piano sonata - Pollini

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                                Boulez - second piano sonata - Pollini

Comment

Working...
                                X