This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
    Just listened to this, having previously heard only extracts; what a wonderful, engaging and indeed life-affirming piece this is! It has yet to have its final spin today...
    “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Vaughan Williams

A Sea Symphony
      The Lark Ascending

James Ehnes,Sarah Fox,Mark Stone,RLPO Andrew Manze
      “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Bartok: Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste
        Chicago Symphony Orchestra
        Pierre Boulez

[interval]

Stravinsky: The Soldier's Tale (complete)
        Malcolm Sinclair (speaker)
        LSO Chamber Ensemble
        Roman Simovic
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Bruckner
          Symphony No. 9 in D minor
          (1894 original version, ed. Nowak 1951, Finale based on original sources supplemented and completed by Gerd Schaller, revised version 2018)
          Philharmonie Festiva / Gerd Schaller
          Recorded live July 2018, Abteikirche Ebrach, Upper Franconia

A superb performance and I greatly admire Schaller's completion of the finale too.

Comment

Mozart
            Violin sonatas played by Andras Schiff and Yuuko Shiokawa. K379, k304, K454.
            Also the variations K360.

Lovely CD - found in a charity shop.

This CD claims the music was performed on Mozart's own violin and fortepiano.
            If so, then both instruments have survived remarkably well. I wonder if they have been "improved" in any way, or needed a lot of technical maintenance and attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              Bruckner
              Symphony No. 9 in D minor
              (1894 original version, ed. Nowak 1951, Finale based on original sources supplemented and completed by Gerd Schaller, revised version 2018)
              Philharmonie Festiva / Gerd Schaller
              Recorded live July 2018, Abteikirche Ebrach, Upper Franconia

A superb performance and I greatly admire Schaller's completion of the finale too.
              Not the same one as Rattle did with the Berliners?
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                Not the same one as Rattle did with the Berliners?
                Rattle uses the 1992 finale realisation by Samale/Philips/Cohrs/Mazzuca - revised 2012 by Samale & Cohrs.

Here Schaller uses his own completion that he has revised and splendid it is too, for my money.

Comment

In anticipation of and preparation for the First Night of the Proms:

Janacek: Glagolitic Mass
                  BBCNOW/Hickox
                  A BBC MM release of a 2001 Cardiff performance.

See posting on Proms highlight thread: any enthusiasm for a 'Recordings in discussion' or a 'Summer BaL' on this marvellous work?
                  I'm about to pitch into Paul Wingfield's Cambridge Music Handbook (potentially hard work without a score) and also to listen to the other recordings I have: Ancerl, Rattle, and Mackerras (Chandos).

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                    Rattle uses the 1992 finale realisation by Samale/Philips/Cohrs/Mazzuca - revised 2012 by Samale & Cohrs.

Here Schaller uses his own completion that he has revised and splendid it is too, for my money.
                    I’ll give this one a listen! Thanks. Now with all this talk of Sibelius, my attention was drawn to a recording that Sir Alexander Gibson made with the SNO, which I also have. Quite fabulous imo.

Sibelius
                    Four Legends of Kalevala, Op.22
                    Finlandia, Op.26.
                    SNO, Gibson.

Vasily Kallnnikov
                    Symphony No.1 in Gminor
                    Symphony No.2 in A major
                    Malaysian PO
                    Kees Bakels
                    Last edited by BBMmk2; 19-05-19, 12:43.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                      In anticipation of and preparation for the First Night of the Proms:

Janacek: Glagolitic Mass
                      BBCNOW/Hickox
                      A BBC MM release of a 2001 Cardiff performance.

See posting on Proms highlight thread: any enthusiasm for a 'Recordings in discussion' or a 'Summer BaL' on this marvellous work?
                      I'm about to pitch into Paul Wingfield's Cambridge Music Handbook (potentially hard work without a score) and also to listen to the other recordings I have: Ancerl, Rattle, and Mackerras (Chandos).
                      I would certainly recommend the Netopil:

IIRC, the Hickox used the Wingfield reconstruction of the original score. Netopil uses a more recent reconstruction based on further examination of the surviving evidence. This version was also performed under Belohlavek's batton at the Proms a few years back. The recent Belohlacek release on Decca also used the 1927 version of the score (i.e. the same as in the Netopil recording). See https://www.baerenreiter.com/en/shop...etails/BA6863/

If you want to see, as well as hear, Mackerras in the Wingfield edition, there is a Supraphon DVD. Apart from its single disc release, there is a boxed set of works by Janacek and Martinu which also contains it, along with a CD of the revised version with some minor amendments which are also to be found in the later critical edition of that score. That boxed set is a must at its current price. Not a dud in it.

I would just add that I had the good fortune to attend the first performance of the Wingfield edition (prior to its publication) by Manchester University forces, December 5th 1992.
                      Last edited by Bryn; 22-05-19, 13:17. Reason: Revised to correct the reference to the edition used by Belohlavek.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        I would certainly recommend the Netopil:

IIRC, the Hickox used the Wingfield reconstruction of the original score. Netopil uses a more recent reconstruction based on further examination of the surviving evidence. This version was also performed under Belohlavek's batton at the Proms a few years back. However, I think the recent Belohlacek release on Decca used the revised version of the score (in a recent critical edition from the same editors as the Netopil recording). See https://www.baerenreiter.com/en/shop...etails/BA6863/

If you want to see, as well as hear, Mackerras in the Wingfield edition, there is a Supraphon DVD. Apart from its single disc release, there is a boxed set of works by Janacek and Martinu which also contains it, along with a CD of the revised version with some minor amendments which are also to be found in the later critical edition of that score. That boxed set is a must at its current price. Not a dud in it.

I would just add that I had the good fortune to attend the first performance of the Wingfield edition (prior to its publication) by Manchester University forces, December 5th 1992.
                        That's certainly a tempting box set.

Comment

That's certainly a tempting box set.
                          Succumb, you will not regret it. By the way, if you have a spare £60 lying around, "The Janacek Compendium" by one of our esteemed members, was published last month.

Comment

Succumb, you will not regret it. By the way, if you have a spare £60 lying around, "The Janacek Compendium" by one of our esteemed members, was published last month.
                            I just have done.
                            After all, what's my pension for if I can't spend it?

Is the Janacek compendium a book?
                            If so, I'll need to see if the university library gets a copy I can borrow.

PS: Yes, I see that it is.
                            Is the author our makropulos?
                            Last edited by Pulcinella; 19-05-19, 12:44. Reason: PS added.

Comment

I just have done.
                              After all, what's my pension for if I can't spend it?

Is the Janacek compendium a book?
                              If so, I'll need to see if the university library gets a copy I can borrow.

I have just noticed that there is a discount code on that page which provides a 25% discount. The price, including p&p, thus drops to £48.70.
                              Last edited by Bryn; 19-05-19, 12:57. Reason: Update.

Comment

by one of our esteemed members
                                I'm friends with him on facebook. Didn't realise he's on here...

Comment

Working...
                                X