Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    Jayne, you are incorrigible! How do I resist the Jaap Van Sweden??
    STOP PRESS!! - Just noticed booklet is available at eclassical and it's a smidgeon cheaper too.... off to download now.... Mum's settled in bed & I may squeeze in a movement or two before supper...

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      STOP PRESS!! - Just noticed booklet is available at eclassical and it's a smidgeon cheaper too.... off to download now.... Mum's settled in bed & I may squeeze in a movement or two before supper...
      Couldn't find it on eClassical or Qobuz Just on Primephonic. I'll relook.

Update: Found, bought.

Yes, cheaper on eClassical

Comment

I wonder how a studio Bernstein studio Bruckner 6 would go.
        All over the place I would imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post

Comment

I think it would depend on what year (and which orchestra) you took your Time Machine back to....

Incidentally, when ES reviewed that Yannick N-S recording (G., Awards/2013 - see #118 above), he did so alongside another newcomer, the Netherlands Radio Philharmonic/Jaap Van Sweden.(remember his fine Proms 8th a few years back?)... he liked both very much but actually preferred the latter; I guess no-one's heard that?

Sampling via Qobuz sounds a touch grand for my current tastes; no booklet, but it is ​24/96 so I may yet try it full-sized....
            The Zweden B6 has excellent orchestral playing and sound quality, but the conducting seems stiff (in tempo and rhythm) and somewhat earthbound. The finale in particular suffers from this. I wouldn't call it a favourite but I do prefer it to Klemperer or Karajan or Wand, or (among modern recordings) YNS—which I thought was very "safe" and didn't hold attention well—or Kent Nagano or Marcus Bosch.

But as always mileage varies. My #1 among modern recordings is either Norrington or the Leipzig Blomstedt so if you don't like those, disregard my opinions, lol

The live Bernstein 6th (with the New York Philharmonic, 1976) is a fairly straightforward and exciting reading with questionable orchestral execution and way too much ritardando at the end of movements. I mean it's good and I'd recommend it as an alternative, alongside Rozhdestvensky (and with similar problems), but it's obviously not available at this point.

Comment

I was thinking along those lines as well!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by kea View Post
                My #1 among modern recordings is either Norrington or the Leipzig Blomstedt so if you don't like those, disregard my opinions, lol
                I don't like the Norrington at all (although I don't detest it as much as I do his take on Mahler 9!) but I wouldn't dream of "disregarding" your opinions, kea!
                Last edited by ahinton; 10-01-18, 11:57.

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                  I don't like the Norrington at all (although I don't detest it as much as I do his take on Mahler 9!) but I wouldn't dream of "disregarding" your opinions, Jayne!
                  Your loss in both instances. Still, never mind, there are lesser performances available in recorded form for you to resort to.

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                    I don't like the Norrington at all (although I don't detest it as much as I do his take on Mahler 9!) but I wouldn't dream of "disregarding" your opinions, Jayne!
                    ???
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      ???
                      Oops! Now duly corrected/credited! Apologies all round (and thanks for drawing attention to this). Time for some good strong dark roast coffee, methinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Your loss in both instances. Still, never mind, there are lesser performances available in recorded form for you to resort to.
                        No loss to me, I fear! - but it's only a personal opinion anyway, not a purported value judgement - and I am of course aware of just how many performances of both symphonies there are out there!

Comment

I think it would depend on what year (and which orchestra) you took your Time Machine back to....

Incidentally, when ES reviewed that Yannick N-S recording (G., Awards/2013 - see #118 above), he did so alongside another newcomer, the Netherlands Radio Philharmonic/Jaap Van Sweden.(remember his fine Proms 8th a few years back?)... he liked both very much but actually preferred the latter; I guess no-one's heard that?

Sampling via Qobuz sounds a touch grand for my current tastes; no booklet, but it is ​24/96 so I may yet try it full-sized....
                          This post reminded me that I own the van Zweeden 6th. It is ina pile of discs around my Surround sound system. I’m home with the flu so maybe if I’m up to it I’ll dig it out. I think I played it twice and found it competent but not to inspiring. The reviews were mixed if IRC.
                          Norrington in Bruckner? The thought of it isn’t doing my queasy stomach any favors. Still, maybe I’ll stream it if Spotify has it

Comment

"Van Sweden"? "Van Zweeden"? What is so difficult about spelling "van Zweden"? (small "v" for Dutch names, as opposed to Belgian ones!)

Comment

"Van Sweden"? "Van Zweeden"? What is so difficult about spelling "van Zweden"? (small "v" for Dutch names, as opposed to Belgian ones!)
                              I thought he was a Belgian Swede. Thanks for picking it up, I'll continue with the correct spelling.

Comment

I wonder how a studio Bernstein studio Bruckner 6 would go.
                                Well, he did a fine Bruckner 9th for Sony. I think it was live... 1969.

Comment

Working...
                                X