And the expense!
      What I was meaning as well!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        And the expense!
        Norrington is on Qobuz and also on Amazon Unlimited. Does that help at all?

Some mentioned here (e.g performances by Schuricht mentioned in passing) are not obviously available on streaming or download sites, and may only be available in the relatively expensive NLA/second hand market.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Norrington is on Qobuz and also on Amazon Unlimited. Does that help at all?

Some mentioned here (e.g performances by Schuricht mentioned in passing) are not obviously available on streaming or download sites, and may only be available in the relatively expensive NLA/second hand market.
          Bryn put me onto the Norrington a couple of years ago - when I downloaded it from Qobuz. But thanks.

A download of the Schuricht would be nice.

Comment

I mentioned Schuricht, but I was asking if he ever recorded it. I think not, but would be very happy if one were available.

Comment

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
              I mentioned Schuricht, but I was asking if he ever recorded it. I think not, but would be very happy if one were available.
              I can't find one on any of the online Schuricht discographies.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                I can't find one on any of the online Schuricht discographies.
                Neither could I. He did record 8 and 9, which I just notice am.uk tells me I already have.

Comment

Neither could I. He did record 8 and 9, which I just notice am.uk tells me I already have.
                  There are recordings of all the Bruckner symphonies from 3 - 9 except the Sixth, which, as Alain suggests is a pity, as he had a distinct way with the composer.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Yes, I too got the EMI SACDs a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                      Your mention of Schuricht was tantalising, but alas it can't be.

Comment

I wonder how a studio Bernstein studio Bruckner 6 would go.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                          I wonder how a studio Bernstein studio Bruckner 6 would go.
                          I think it would depend on what year (and which orchestra) you took your Time Machine back to....

Incidentally, when ES reviewed that Yannick N-S recording (G., Awards/2013 - see #118 above), he did so alongside another newcomer, the Netherlands Radio Philharmonic/Jaap Van Sweden.(remember his fine Proms 8th a few years back?)... he liked both very much but actually preferred the latter; I guess no-one's heard that?

Sampling via Qobuz sounds a touch grand for my current tastes; no booklet, but it is ​24/96 so I may yet try it full-sized....

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                            I think it would depend on what year (and which orchestra) you took your Time Machine back to....

Incidentally, when ES reviewed that Yannick N-S recording (G., Awards/2013 - see #118 above), he did so alongside another newcomer, the Netherlands Radio Philharmonic/Jaap Van Sweden.(remember his fine Proms 8th a few years back?)... he liked both very much but actually preferred the latter; I guess no-one's heard that?

Sampling via Qobuz sounds a touch grand for my current tastes; no booklet, but it is ​24/96 so I may yet try it full-sized....
                            Jayne, you are incorrigible! How do I resist the Jaap Van Sweden??

Comment

Listening again to Norrington. I think this will do me for the forseeable future, I mean this and the other ones I already have, but especially this.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                                Listening again to Norrington. I think this will do me for the forseeable future, I mean this and the other ones I already have, but especially this.
                                Richard, try the Yannick Nézet-Séguin. I'm just into the second movement of a Hi-Res download and I think it tops them all.

Update: Just finished. This one goes right to the top of my list. Astonishingly clear and upfront sound quality with amazing separation and attack. A completely secular Bruckner delivery/performance. No fatigue at the finish, happy to listen again, back to back. The relative modesty of the orchestral forces of the Orchestre Metropolitan, vis-a-vis US and European forces is a benefit to the fleet of foot rendition.

I'm downloading the Jaap Van Sweden as I type and I look forward to the comparison. As Jayne points out, ES's Gramophone review slightly favours JVS over Yannick. This next listen will be interesting.

Bruckner’s ‘cheeky’ symphony from orchestras in Amsterdam and Montreal
                                Last edited by Beef Oven!; 09-01-18, 23:18.

Comment

Working...
                                X