Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
    Well, he did a fine Bruckner 9th for Sony. I think it was live... 1969.
    I don't have that recording. I have the DG VPO, which is later if I'm not wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
      Well, he did a fine Bruckner 9th for Sony. I think it was live... 1969.
      Recorded on 4/2/69 in Philharmonic Hall (which suggests a concert performance, certainly).

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      I don't have that recording. I have the DG VPO, which is later if I'm not wrong.
      Yup - recorded from rehearsals and performances in February and March 1990 in Vienna.

... there's also a DVD of this (composite) performance:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Recorded on 4/2/69 in Philharmonic Hall (which suggests a concert performance, certainly).

Yup - recorded from rehearsals and performances in February and March 1990 in Vienna.

... there's also a DVD of this (composite) performance:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruckner-Sy.../dp/B000GQL8MW

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
          "Van Sweden"? "Van Zweeden"? What is so difficult about spelling "van Zweden"? (small "v" for Dutch names, as opposed to Belgian ones!)
          Perils of auto-correct/auto-fill I'm afraid. If you're too quick on the draw with the correct "Zweden" spelling and forget to check the cross against "Sweden", it gives you the country every time. . But you've raced on to the next line and don't see it. Some of us are always in a hurry here, but the alternative is disappearing for weeks on end, so...

More on Jaap van Zweden's B6 later..... more mundane tasks beckon once again...

Comment

Just bought this as a Hi-Res download from eMusic.

Interesting Gramophone review - https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/...ny-no-6-ballot

" ......but it’s the finale that’s the highlight of this recording. Ballot eclipses not only Celibidache but also most other conductors in this sometimes problematic movement ..."

Comment

Bruckner 6. Netherlands Radio PO/Jaap van Zweden. Challenge Classics 24/96 Download 2013.

The best that could be said of Jaap Van Zweden’s NRPO 6th is that the wide-angle depth and vast spaciousness of the sound lends it a certain grandeur, mystery and atmosphere; tempi vary according to the musical argument without wilfuness, dynamics are subtly graded; a “Rolls-Royce” character to the orchestra, smooth, full, rounded with deep, well resolved timbres. But….while JvZ is good at maintaining long melodic lines, this beauty and subtlety of sound tends against tension and inevitability, especially in quiet passages: there’s a lack of momentum as the music builds towards each climax. The climaxes themselves, weighty, resplendent and detailed, often lack real bite and blaze.
              Again, while not lacking rhythmic definition, that first-movement 2+3 motif (with a nicely “sprung” emphasis on its 5th note) doesn’t feel as foundational or architectural as in the most exciting accounts; whilst admiring the tonal beauty of it, my attention tended to wander during the adagio; I felt that the scherzo passed without much nocturnal evocation, character or humour; just the notes, nothing but the notes…. Then, JvZ dwells a touch too lovingly (and tellingly) on the finale’s gesangsperiode; hard to pick up the forward thrust after that.

This distanced, “all too beautiful” presentation seems to belong to an older, grander, Bruckner tradition, but for me it lacked distinctiveness.
              Yannick Nézet-Séguin, like Venzago, compels my attention: I’m with it, I love it, right through. With JvZ, I’m afraid I was casting a desirous eye over the cover art on the screen alongside - Schubert, Mozart, Haydn….my ear craved something fresher and livelier.

The notes go into some detail about the care taken over the SACD 5.1 surround recording, the acoustic spaciousness, attempted realism and character of the presentation; I did wonder whether this priority has resulted in some perceived lack of presence and bite in the stereo mix, which seems just a little too spacious for the music’s own good. (In fact, the notes conclude by saying that to “maximally benefit from the sound qualities of the recording”, you ideally need a subwoofer reaching the ultra-low sub-40khz frequencies. And they’re not going to put that on the cover).

Comment

Listened to Haitink's latest, Karajan's BPO and the Sawallisch tonight. I'm even beginning to like the fourth movement!

Haven't downloaded my Jaap van Zweden or Rémy Ballot purchases yet - got those to look forward to.

I think B6 would make a tremendous BaL.

Comment

I just listened to Norrington and was duly impressed. I like the no nonsense straight ahead approach. IV sounded a bit rushed but overall a most pleasant surprise.
                  It also sounded surprisingly good, considereding that I was streaming it from Apple to a Blu tooth receiver in my home theater system. I kept wondering if Apple had bumped their bit rate. I’m wondering at the sound quality of the CD or download.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

I think B6 would make a tremendous BaL.
                    Yes it would and at the risk of completely blowing Beefy's budget for 2018 already there are not inconsiderable versions from Chailly/RCO, Haitink/Dresden Staatskapelle, Jochum/Dresden Staatskapelle, Jochum/BRSO and Jochum/RCO (live in the RCO125 set) which haven't had much of a mention yet.

I have all of these but it will be the new Haitink that will still be my first choice. A disc of real stature given state of the art sound.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      Yes it would and at the risk of completely blowing Beefy's budget for 2018 already there are not inconsiderable versions from Chailly/RCO, Haitink/Dresden Staatskapelle, Jochum/Dresden Staatskapelle, Jochum/BRSO and Jochum/RCO (live in the RCO125 set) which haven't had much of a mention yet.

I have all of these but it will be the new Haitink that will still be my first choice. A disc of real stature given state of the art sound.
                      Don't worry Petrushka, I blew 2018's budget in 2017.

I already have the Chailly, Jochum/Dresden, Jochum/BRSO, but not the Jochum/RCO live.

I'm really enjoying the latest Haitink, thanks for championing this release.

I'm enjoying the Yannick Nézet-Séguin/Orchestre Métropolitain the most at the moment. Interestingly, I'm struggling with the Venzago.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                        I just listened to Norrington and was duly impressed. I like the no nonsense straight ahead approach. IV sounded a bit rushed but overall a most pleasant surprise.
                        It also sounded surprisingly good, considereding that I was streaming it from Apple to a Blu tooth receiver in my home theater system. I kept wondering if Apple had bumped their bit rate. I’m wondering at the sound quality of the CD or download.
                        One of the reasons I love the SWR Stuttgart/Norrington Symphony sets and cycles so much is exactly that: on CD or lossless downloads, consistently excellent sound, always natural, warm, detailed and dynamic, set back in just enough acoustic space. German Radio Recording at its best.

As is incidentally (and poignantly, considering their recent merger with SWR Stuttgart) one of the very earliest Bruckner 6th recordings ( 1961 mono, I think only the 2nd ever studio recording, after Andreae) by the SWR Baden-Baden SO with Hans Rosbaud. (Just be grateful I've never let you read "Hans Rosebud", Mr. Barrett)......
                        I played this during the night, from the new SWR boxset after a gap of a few weeks, and was even more impressed - despite some imperfect orchestral playing it is truly outstanding.... it got most things right, sound and idiom, years before any stereo ones were made, let alone well known. For many years the Kingsway Klemperer (1964) seemed to stand alone.

I'll try to add more detail on Rosbaud later.... his finale is so good I encored it! (And understood it better than ever).
                        (Interested to note Beef's Venzago challenges - it took me quite a while to come to terms with it, slow movement especially...but it is a firm favourite now, easily in my top 5. Hope to sample the new Haitink via Qobuz HiFi at least, but Time is the Evil...).
                        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 11-01-18, 23:38.

Comment

Looks as though there is more investigating to be done here? I have always found that Norrington could be rather elusive?
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                            One of the reasons I love the SWR Stuttgart/Norrington Symphony sets and cycles so much is exactly that: on CD or lossless downloads, consistently excellent sound, always natural, warm, detailed and dynamic, set back in just enough acoustic space. German Radio Recording at its best.

As is incidentally (and poignantly, considering their recent merger with SWR Stuttgart) one of the very earliest Bruckner 6th recordings ( 1961 mono, I think only the 2nd ever studio recording, after Andreae) by the SWR Baden-Baden SO with Hans Rosbaud. (Just be grateful I've never let you read "Hans Rosebud", Mr. Barrett)......
                            I played this during the night, from the new SWR boxset after a gap of a few weeks, and was even more impressed - despite some imperfect orchestral playing it is truly outstanding.... it got most things right, sound and idiom, years before any stereo ones were made, let alone well known. For many years the Kingsway Klemperer (1964) seemed to stand alone.

I'll try to add more detail on Rosbaud later.... his finale is so good I encored it! (And understood it better than ever).
                            (Interested to note Beef's Venzago challenges - it took me quite a while to come to terms with it, slow movement especially...but it is a firm favourite now, easily in my top 5. Hope to sample the new Haitink via Qobuz HiFi at least, but Time is the Evil...).
                            Thanks for your comments about the recording quality of the Norrington because I was very curious. It sounds better as an Apple Stream via BT than my old Jochum CD with Dresden. Quobuz announced at CES in Las Vegas that they will start streaming in the US this summer—happy days.
                            BBm, what did you mean when you describe Norrington as “elusive “

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                              Thanks for your comments about the recording quality of the Norrington because I was very curious. It sounds better as an Apple Stream via BT than my old Jochum CD with Dresden. Quobuz announced at CES in Las Vegas that they will start streaming in the US this summer—happy days.
                              BBm, what did you mean when you describe Norrington as “elusive “
                              Well, when I watch him in concert, or studio recording, I just cannot get to grips with what he is doing.
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                                (Interested to note Beef's Venzago challenges - it took me quite a while to come to terms with it, slow movement especially...but it is a firm favourite now, easily in my top 5.
                                I've had the Venzago over two years and played it through a fair few times. My experience has been the opposite of what you suggest! I quite liked it at first, but recently I've gone off it a bit

Not sure why - will need to think about it ...........

Comment

Working...
                                X