Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    and they avoid that ficta sharp (which I hate with a passion).
    It's almost certainly a misprint that escaped Byrd's typically careful proof-reading. It's not found in any of the manuscript copies of the motet.

Comment

Ne irascaris is on Westminster Cathedral's most recent recording, Vexilla Regis. Martin Baker takes it at an altogether slower tempo than Edward Higginbottom, just under 10m30s compared with just over 8m by New College.
      My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

This is the one for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo8qfyK9c3c

Comment

Ne irascaris is on Westminster Cathedral's most recent recording, Vexilla Regis
          Yes, that's my favourite, MC, but sadly not available free anywhere. It was recorded in Buckfast Abbey, BTW. I like the slower speed.

Your fave, Vox (the Voces 8 Youtube one...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo8qfyK9c3c) is, as you'd expect, fabulously sung. Ultra-polished, of course, but maybe I'm wanting a bit of grit.

Comment

Unless I’ve missed something, there’s no BBC2 Easter programme from King’s this year…

Another thing of the past, now?
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
              Unless I’ve missed something, there’s no BBC2 Easter programme from King’s this year…

Another thing of the past, now?
              I'd been looking for this, too, found nothing and share your disappointment. Fortunately, I've got several years of recordings stored on my hard drive so can watch them.

I suspect that the Easter broadcast had way fewer viewers than the Christmas version which is understandable enough, I suppose, but a move to BBC4 would surely have been a possibility.

With its demise, there is a woeful lack of Easter related programmes with any seriousness on TV and no music at all that I can find.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

They’ve probably spent the money on alternative non - excellent innovative initiatives which appeal more widely the the student community.

Possibly there will be a drill St John Passion with community gospel and a ukelele band from St John’s next year

Comment

Just a bump to say that, by request, the posts about the Gareth Malone St John Passion have been moved to a separate thread on The Choir.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
                    And this is the one for me, taken from a live BBC broadcast of a St John's Ash Wednesday service. A reminder of the choir with boy trebles on peak form.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

With its demise, there is a woeful lack of Easter related programmes with any seriousness on TV and no music at all that I can find.
                      There’s a fascinating review in the latest Private Eye of the Religion and Ethics department of the BBC principal offering on TV this Easter - Pilgrimage in North Wales. The review compares the offering of religious fare of 40 years ago, which was very worship based, albeit because of laid down broadcast rules, but even Channel 4 showed Pasolini’s St Matthew Passion on Good Friday afternoon, all 137 minutes of it, without adverts intruding, The Pilgrims to North Wales are there for a variety of very good reasons, not all connected to the Christian faith. The review goes on to suggest a more appropriate pilgrimage for Easter would have been one to Walsingham. The BBC seem scared to do religion on TV
                      We do better on the radio with plenty of CEs and passions plus the excellent development of Compline in weeks before a major festival. On these boards we appreciate what’s on offer in many ways, as music and prose, as a service, as background and as worship in the immediate that live broadcasting brings.

Comment

Working...
                      X