Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet radio stations & other alternatives to Radio 3

This has come up several times in various guises. It took time to find some of the old threads.

I thought I would reactivate, as my own listening has been revolutionised by Santa giving me an 'Apple Airport Express' allowing me to hear internet radio from iTunes over the main stereo (and further thanks to Stunsworth with help in setting it up ).

[Ed: Stunning live Boulez performance of Mahler 7 from 2011 on the Concertgebouw radio station as I type! ]

Whatever one thinks of iTunes, there's no denying that their music radio resource is astonishing - I mentioned this a while back (and others have too in the past): http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...308#post180308

The resource isn't made obvious when opening iTunes: you have to click on the word 'Internet' towards the right hand top of the main iTunes page (it doesn't specifically mention 'radio' in the current incarnation of iTunes, stupidly).

As regards the range of internet radio stations delivering classical music is concerned, another thread on the Forum with some good links is this one: http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...t=iTunes+Radio

The listing of European stations linked to there http://www.listenlive.eu/classical.html helpfully lists the quality of the stream.

I've discovered two things, now that I can listen to these stations on the big HiFi:

(a) It's worth searching out the higher bit-rate streams. Alpie was right to pooh-pooh my reference to a 128kbps stream sounding 'awesome' - it might have been ok for computer speakers, and is still ok for low-level listening... but on the big system I'm on the hunt for 256kbps (the Concertgebouw radio station) or 320kbps (the HD Radio 3 stream)

(b) You can add stations to the pre-set list of radio stations on iTunes (which I have to do to listen via the AirportExpress on the HiFi). If a station isn't on iTunes, you find its own webpage (or a reference in a list like the European one above), and look out for this symbol:

Right-clicking (Ctrl+click) on that symbol should produce a list of options including to 'copy the link' - click on that. Then in iTunes, you click File + Open Stream - a box appears, and in that you paste the link you've just copied. Clicking OK adds the radio stream (in a playlist stupidly named 'internet songs' - I just drag the new station into a playlist I've created for 'Favourite Radio Stations')

(The iTunes menu seems to change over time, inevitably I suppose if certain radio stations cease operations - for example the station hmvman recommended

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
    If I'm at home in the mornings, I've recently taken to listening to WDR3 (streamed at 256 kbps via iTunes).
    Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
    Thanks for that recommendation. I've added it to my Radio list in iTunes and will definitely drop in regularly. Their web site gives an impressive overview of programming and content, which seems excellent (a bit like the late-lamented, pre-Kenyon/Wright BBC R3).
    no longer exists )
    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 30-12-13, 17:16.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Discovery of the day: the AUDIOPHILE radio site

Classical, Baroque and Jazz radio streams
    at 320kbps () which can be added to iTunes by the means set out at (b) in my post #1 above.

Not sure about the Jazz choices yet (aficionados will advise having looked at their playlist) but the two others sound v good.

Comment

Thanks for that informative post , Cals.

I assume the translation comes later?

anyhow, this is my current fave, non stop C20/C21 stuff, and available through Live 365 on Itunes radio, abeit on 128 kbps. (Edit : I THINK its available on Itunes, but then I don't have Itunes on my laptop, because itunes is of course the work of the )

Live365 is the easiest and least expensive way to create a legal internet radio station as well as the best place to discover and listen to thousands of free stations from every genre of music and talk.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Maybe not Hi enough Fi for your new-found eminence, but for content I find Rai5 to be excellent, with a good mix of orchestral, chamber, instrumental and vocal items:

(The 'palinsesti' will lead you to the monthly schedules. Remember Italy is an hour ahead.)

Comment

Cheers chaps. I've suggested to Our Leader that perhaps an 'Internet Radio Booth' be created alongside the food & drink & photo sub-forums, so that this can be a readily accessible and central resource (e.g. for those seeking alternatives to ignorant and witless comedians 'guesting' on "Essential Classics" etc etc )

Comment

Will set up when I have a minute to spare. I once felt it was the height of treachery to publicise alternatives to Radio 3, but now ...
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
              Maybe not Hi enough Fi for your new-found eminence, but for content I find Rai5 to be excellent, with a good mix of orchestral, chamber, instrumental and vocal items:

(The 'palinsesti' will lead you to the monthly schedules. Remember Italy is an hour ahead.)
              Likewise. Rai 5 is the only one I use a lot - no surplus blah and a good range of music. Excellent sound from satellite dish played through amp.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                I once felt it was the height of treachery to publicise alternatives to Radio 3, but now ...
                That neatly sums up the whole situation. Sad, but true.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  The iTunes menu seems to change over time, inevitably I suppose if certain radio stations cease operations - for example the station hmvman recommended [ ... ] no longer exists
                  Still going strong, actually. This is the streaming URL. The pick of the schedule is the morning segment mentioned by hmvman, while the evening concert is also often worth a listen.

Comment

Good news, ta jimbo, must have been just a dodgy link

Comment

TERRIFIC concert performance with Jansons of Mahler 3 on the RCO radio stream at the moment ! Perfect for this evening !

http://www.concertgebouworkest.nl/en...enu/RCO-Radio/ if you don't 'do' iTunes....

Comment

Thanks for the reminder about the new sub-forum, M. Caliban
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Thanks for these - Audiophile sounds great [as one would hope, of course]. My streamer can't load RCO Live but there are plenty more to choose from of course - is Linn Classical on itunes? I am also a fan of Rondo Classic - Klasu.

Comment

Linn radio. Classical, jazz or rock @ 320k...

Steve

Comment

Hat off and three cheers to Caliban!

Many thanks for the RCO internet link - currently a stunning Bartok: MfSP&C conducted by Jansons, following a Ligeti: Concerto Romanescu conducted by Pappano - great programming and terrific performances.

Weep Wright, weep!

Comment

Working...
                              X