Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    And how do they know they are 'new' listeners?
    The probability is that they weren't. Many would be Radio 3 listeners who weren't recorded as listening the previous quarter, but are recorded this time. Far from being new they have been listening from 10-50 years. But that's a bit complicated for a news story.

AAMOI, do we know what CD Review's figures are i.e. Saturday a.m.?
    The only figures I have are old. On the other hand, since Radio 3's overall figures have been stable/stagnant over that time, perhaps the programme figures remain similar?

Anyway, CD Review in that quarter had 300K listeners - and bear in mind that it was/is only on on a Saturday morning, whereas the 2-hour (7am-9am) peaktime Mo3 figure over 5 mornings was 731K.

Another set of (slightly later) figures gave the 3-hour (7am-10am) Mo3 768K and the 2-hour CD Masters 627K. Oooh, my head hurts
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Bit better than last quarter, but poor for Proms quarter - 1.912m, down from 2.025m last year. For once I was really hoping for a clear improvement.

Breakfast fractionally up y-o-y, but still down in the doldrums at 548k (from 533k last year).

New BBC Radio 3 controller Alan Davey says the station will continue to offer "complex culture" despite being overtaken in the ratings by 6 Music.

On checking, this is the lowest Proms quarter ever, since comparable figures began in 1999. The previous lowest was in 1999.
      Last edited by french frank; 23-10-14, 05:43.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Bit better than last quarter, but poor for Proms quarter - 1.912m, down from 2.025m last year. For once I was really hoping for a clear improvement.

Breakfast fractionally up y-o-y, but still down in the doldrums at 548k (from 533k last year).

New BBC Radio 3 controller Alan Davey says the station will continue to offer "complex culture" despite being overtaken in the ratings by 6 Music.

On checking, this is the lowest Proms quarter ever, since comparable figures began in 1999. The previous lowest was in 1999.
        I listened to very few Proms live broadcasts this year because they kept jiggling around with the start time and because there were so many R3-lite concerts. I listened very selectively on i-Player

Comment

Yes, I agree, listened to fewer Proms this year than I can ever remember. Just didn't look all that appealing. I think the growth of more and more 'specials' bespeaks a brand under desperate pressure to renew itself no matter what the final outcome for the brand might be. cf Tesco?? In some ways, RW's last Proms [ are they? How much of his planning will be in NEXT year's?] tended to reveal why R3 is in the doldrums. All fancy tinselly packaging and dull or routine substance masquerading as 'new'?

Comment

I've updated the chart to include the latest figures. Please let me know if you see any mistakes.

The last two quarters, taken together, are pretty mediocre.

Comment

Thanks very much, John. V. useful!

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Thanks very much, John. V. useful!
                Can you do one for Radio 6 Music?

Comment

....... so is Mr Watson suggesting Radio 3 should be digital only ?

BBC Radio 6 Music has won record audience figures, reaching almost two million listeners over the past three months, according to Rajar.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    ....... so is Mr Watson suggesting Radio 3 should be digital only ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29736681
                    I understood so, yes. I liked the reader comment under the Guardian article: "Tom, go home, you're drunk."

Comment

V.interesting: why was March a spike?

Comment

V.interesting: why was March a spike?
                        Seasonal element? Quite a few Marches seem to be sticking up head and shoulders above their neighbours.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
                          Can you do one for Radio 6 Music?
                          I daresay that may be possible HG but what's the little word we use in the nursery?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            I daresay that may be possible HG but what's the little word we use in the nursery?
                            "No", or perhaps, "why"?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              "No", or perhaps, "why"?
                              There wouldn't be a lot of point in doing a plain graph of 6 Music without the annotations about the huge increase in public awareness (from 20% to near 100% with some demographics) as a result of huge (and continuing) publicity; and comparing with the increase in listenership of other UK digital-only radio stations, where it would probably fall somewhere between 4 Extra and Sports EXtra, as digital coverage and usage has increased. Neither increase is the result of 6 Music's content or presentation but of factors totally external to the station.

Comment

Times for a change?

BBC Radio 3 suffered its lowest ratings in a Proms season for at least 15 years, fuelling concerns that the station is alienating its core listeners. This summer’s concert season, which featured the

Comment

Working...
                                X