Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This might lead somewhere - I haven't checked.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      This might lead somewhere - I haven't checked.
      Not very far not very specific........

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
        Could you possibly point/send me to elsewhere.......??
        The per-station online use was notified here, but the page stopped being updated because no one in the BBC could be bothered. (I have complained several times.) The non-station specific data is published monthly in the 'iPlayer Performance packs', but doesn't go into the level of detail I think you are looking for.

My earlier post in this thread gives some general context.

Russ

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
          The per-station online use was notified here, but the page stopped being updated because no one in the BBC could be bothered. (I have complained several times.) The non-station specific data is published monthly in the 'iPlayer Performance packs', but doesn't go into the level of detail I think you are looking for.

My earlier post in this thread gives some general context.

Russ
          Cheers - I sometimes feel that iplayer listening per week by the members of our small community is greater than live listening to R3?

Comment

Not very far not very specific........
            No, as Russ also confirmed, they don't publish much now. Anyway, as far as the top TV and radio programmes were concerned, Radio 3 didn't feature (as far as I remember, Late Junction used to be about no 21 in the radio lists at one time).
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Cheers - I sometimes feel that iplayer listening per week by the members of our small community is greater than live listening to R3?
              From what people say, it sounds like it. But Radio 3 listeners have always been more selective. If nothing appeals on the linear broadcast, On Demand is a good alternative. But I read in one of those articles that Listen Again only accounted for 1.5% of listening. I imagine podcasts are less popular overall because of the bar on playing any more than a couple of minutes of any classical work on the downloads.

Comment

I would strongly doubt that. Forum members probably do a little bit more catchup than the average R3 listener, but catchup remains a very small percentage of the total, live listening being predominant. Many hi-fi R3 fans deserted the station though in favour of foreign stations when the BBC cut the HQ 320k AAC feeds in February. (Which I guess was discussed elsewhere on the forum at the time.)

Russ

Comment

I imagine podcasts are less popular overall because of the bar on playing any more than a couple of minutes of any classical work on the downloads.
                  A self imposed bar it must be remembered.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                    A self imposed bar it must be remembered.
                    BBC Trust. They said people would build up their collections of music with the free podcasts instead of buying CDs, and this would damage the industry …

Comment

BBC Trust. They said people would build up their collections of music with the free podcasts instead of buying CDs, and this would damage the industry …
                      Best laugh I have had all day.

Although it hasn't been a classic day for laughs to be fair.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

A good set of R3 results for Q2 2015 in my view. The reach, at 1894k, is slightly (1.1%) down on the previous quarter, but the hours listened to, at 13101k, is 4.7% up on the previous quarter, and is the highest Q2 hours since 2011. As a result, the average weekly hours per listener has risen significantly to 6.9, the highest for a long time. Average weekly hours per listener is often taken as a measure of 'they like what they hear', so at least something seems to be going in the right direction at R3. (The Q3 results will probably bring a more sobering perspective though!) Breakfast listening is steady at 629k.

Russ

Comment

Do they ever do a morning, afternoon, evening breakdown?

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                            Do they ever do a morning, afternoon, evening breakdown?
                            Available only to RAJAR subscribers, I believe, Dracs. Quite why RAJAR choose to single out the 'breakfast' portion in their public figures is not known. Subscribers can get per-station breakdowns down to a 15-minute granularity.

Russ

Comment

A good set of R3 results for Q2 2015 in my view.
                              But with caveats. There is a strong chance that in Q2 2016 (when, again, the population is recalculated) percentage reach will (first time?) drop below 4%, down to 3%. Yearly average has been hovering below 4% for the past few years, and percentage this quarter is only a smidgeon above 3.5% (3.54%?). At 3.4999999999%, weekly percentage drops from 4% to 3%.

The reach, at 1894k, is slightly (1.1%) down on the previous quarter, but the hours listened to, at 13101k, is 4.7% up on the previous quarter, and is the highest Q2 hours since 2011.
                              Lowish reach and higher listening figures does indeed suggest people 'listened for longer'. And it may mean that Radio 3 strategies to persuade people to listen longer are working: e.g. 6.30am-12midday with only one programme 'junction', at 9am, 2-4.30pm likewise. Put another way: 'wallpaper works'. This pleases the BBC (if people are listening to Radio 3, they're not listening to Classic FM).

Average weekly hours per listener is often taken as a measure of 'they like what they hear'
                              See above. What one would really like to know is: what were they listening to. Breakfast was okay, but not a star performer. I suspect (only) that Essential Classics is still doing well. People only have to listen to that for just under an hour and a half each weekday morning, and nothing else, and there are the 7 hours per week.

We're really in the dark about what's happening across the schedule.

Comment

We're really in the dark about what's happening across the schedule.
                                Indeed, and we always have been. We can only take the overall RAJAR stats as they are presented to us. That is why I would like to see the BBC start publishing more of its online live figures, which will be available in great detail.

On population percentage reach, I can't get too agitated about R3's possible/probable future transition from a rounded-up '4%' to a rounded-down '3%'. Whilst radio still 'reaches' 90% of the population, the number of hours being listened to continues on a significant long-term gradual decline, and markedly so in the younger (15-24 and 25-34 years old) sectors. Overall radio listening is down something like 7% since 2001. Although the nature or R3's content will never make it massively 'popular', I suppose what I am trying to say is that its future is far less bleak than that of R1 for example.

Russ

Comment

Working...
                                X